The Student Room Group

Awkward situation

Hi everyone.

Basically, I've known this guy for 14 years and he's just told me that he likes me. I have no idea how but he does.
My issue is that I don't actually like him because I like someone else (who may or may not have placed me in the girl-friend-zone).
I told this guy that it's fantastic that he likes me but I cant see us together because I don't have those feelings for him in return, I did however emphasize that nothing will be broken in our friendship and that I won't treat him any differently than I have done prior to this information.

Anyway, this isn't really a question. It's just my first time being in this predicament and I don't know how to react (relationships haven't been my forte in my 17 years of life). I'm quite inadequate in the looks and popularity department, but what I lack in those, I make up for in working for uni and stuff which makes me an overall fairly dull person. (Wahay!!)
I'd appreciate a bit of consolation or advice..
I think you did quite a good job. Just be careful to keep your distance while being polite - otherwise he's going to take the slightest thing as an indication that you've changed your mind. ( Men are programmed like that.) Anyway it's quite cruel to tease him by, as he'll think, leading him on when you aren't interested.

And you will be treating him differently because he obviously got the wrong idea. Few men approach a woman unless they feel she has encouraged him in some way.

As far as your other love interest is concerned the opposite applies. You need to be more welcoming, more chatty, more appreciative of him - to encourage.

If all else fails, ask him out yourself. Why not? - he can only say no and it might be yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending