The Student Room Group

Awful AS results....help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
your results are not terrible. not even for a russell group. i got ABCE last year and my teacher predicted me ABC for A2 so i couldnt appy to any russell groups. but i got my result yester day and i got ABB so i was able to get an offer to queen mary through clearing. dont worry too much. there are always other options. you will be fine
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows how many UMS points you need to get a B in AS law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which unis specifically are you looking at?
Original post by Jedidja
It was no problem! I just wished I had someone to make me feel better about my position last year since I thought it was the end of the world. Since you got a D, you can get it to an A. I'm sure of it.

Yeah totally......it does feel like the end of the world but you've given me hope :biggrin: I really want to do it and get an A...if i put the work in then its possible......thank you so much.
Original post by cuddledumpling
Hey in need of some advice......

I got AS grades:

English Lit - A

Biology - D

History - B

Photography - B

I want to do law at a Russel group uni which the grade requirement is A*AA but I'm really stuck with bio and i don't think my grades are frankly good enough.

In bio I got an E in my 1st unit and C in the 2nd. I was achieving B's&A's in past papers etc. I've had extenuating circumstances for this year and a change of 3 terrible bio teachers (I taught myself the 2nd unit of bio).

My teachers think i should retake and I'm passionate about bio but in photography (which i originally planned to drop and a subject i detest) i could get a much better grade although its a soft subject? Do you guys have any advice as to whether i should drop bio and do photography or retake bio? Any advice is much appreciated........

I got ABCD first year and left yesterday with AAA, I resat the D subject completely and dropped the C, it might be difficult to get offers with low AS grades for law because its competitive
I'm going to offer you some advice and hope it helps you out. I got AABBC for my AS results last year and was devastated as I tried incredibly hard and thought that my efforts would land me all As, that's what upset me the most - my C was in chemistry btw. I dropped chemistry because my teachers weren't great and coz I ended up hating the subject. The subject you dislike the most you should leave, you won't work very hard for it and it will cause you a lot of stress and anxiety. If you detest photography, leave it! In terms of biology, you say you love it and will put in the work for it so stick with it, be smart about your approach to the retakes (start revising for them early BUT don't focus on them too much otherwise you'll end up screwing up A2). And don't think that because your results didn't go the way you expected it's the 'end' and that A2 is gonna be the same. I retook one biology module from AS and sat my A2 exams and completely turned my results around and through lots of hard work and revision I managed to get A*AAA and believe me it's possible and you'll be able to do it!

If you have any further questions send me a message and I'd be more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by ququ-pops
Manchester, Birmingham and QMUL are still in clearing for law now. I'm pretty sure more universities will be open to let adjustment applicants especially if you get in early.
Also you can beg your teachers to give you good predicted grades and apply to Kings. King's dont loook at your AS grades at all, so with good LNAT scores, GCSEs, references and personal statement, you should be able to get into Kings.

that's amazing info....I guess now that there uncapping there will be more places.....I had no idea that kings doesn't look at AS grades, i guess i'm going to have to beg my bio teacher to lift my grade up. Thanks so much.....
Original post by jacksonmeg
I got ABCD first year and left yesterday with AAA, I resat the D subject completely and dropped the C, it might be difficult to get offers with low AS grades for law because its competitive

Wow well done....I'm worried about that...I guess like ququ said I'll have to beg for predicted grades
Original post by RRHHTd
your results are not terrible. not even for a russell group. i got ABCE last year and my teacher predicted me ABC for A2 so i couldnt appy to any russell groups. but i got my result yester day and i got ABB so i was able to get an offer to queen mary through clearing. dont worry too much. there are always other options. you will be fine

Well done and thanks for sharing :smile: I really want to apply to RG's but I might have to go through other options
Original post by lollollollollol1
I'm going to offer you some advice and hope it helps you out. I got AABBC for my AS results last year and was devastated as I tried incredibly hard and thought that my efforts would land me all As, that's what upset me the most - my C was in chemistry btw. I dropped chemistry because my teachers weren't great and coz I ended up hating the subject. The subject you dislike the most you should leave, you won't work very hard for it and it will cause you a lot of stress and anxiety. If you detest photography, leave it! In terms of biology, you say you love it and will put in the work for it so stick with it, be smart about your approach to the retakes (start revising for them early BUT don't focus on them too much otherwise you'll end up screwing up A2). And don't think that because your results didn't go the way you expected it's the 'end' and that A2 is gonna be the same. I retook one biology module from AS and sat my A2 exams and completely turned my results around and through lots of hard work and revision I managed to get A*AAA and believe me it's possible and you'll be able to do it!

If you have any further questions send me a message and I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Wowwww that is absolutely amazing.... well done!!! :biggrin: You have no idea how much it helps to that......I'm feeling gradually convinced that i can retake bio and do well.....I detest photography so much it might be for the best......I'm definitely going to be asking you loads of Q's in the future..........thanks a ton :smile:
Original post by Shanzii
I'm in the exact same situation as you but I'm only 5 ums marks away from a C. I'm gonna resit the unit 1 exam as that really brought down my grade.

I think both of you should ask for a remark just to be sure and then retake :smile:
Original post by Endless Blue
Which unis specifically are you looking at?

I'm really not sure especially now with these grades.... but the top RG ones...KCL,UCL, etc.
I'm really not sure especially now with these grades.... but the top RG ones...KCL,UCL, etc.

Okay.

Your AS results shouldn't hold you back at those unis as long as you improve significantly at A2. However I'd definitely drop Photography - it's not a good A level for Law and I think that could hold you back.
Reply 53
I think both of you should ask for a remark just to be sure and then retake :smile:

Ok I'll do that

Okay.

Your AS results shouldn't hold you back at those unis as long as you improve significantly at A2. However I'd definitely drop Photography - it's not a good A level for Law and I think that could hold you back.

Thank you for the advice...I literally have no idea. Yes, I think photography will hold me back and having a lower grade in bio might be better for law compared with a high one in photography. I'm still not sure about the D won't the unis see it and like reject my application?
Thank you for the advice...I literally have no idea. Yes, I think photography will hold me back and having a lower grade in bio might be better for law compared with a high one in photography. I'm still not sure about the D won't the unis see it and like reject my application?

Are your AS results being cashed in?
Original post by Shanzii
Ok I'll do that

Definitely do it and your welcome :biggrin:
Are your AS results being cashed in?

What is that? :confused: I'm pretty sure they're not since i don't know what that means.......
Hey in need of some advice......

I got AS grades:

English Lit - A

Biology - D

History - B

Photography - B

I want to do law at a Russel group uni which the grade requirement is A*AA but I'm really stuck with bio and i don't think my grades are frankly good enough.

In bio I got an E in my 1st unit and C in the 2nd. I was achieving B's&A's in past papers etc. I've had extenuating circumstances for this year and a change of 3 terrible bio teachers (I taught myself the 2nd unit of bio).

My teachers think i should retake and I'm passionate about bio but in photography (which i originally planned to drop and a subject i detest) i could get a much better grade although its a soft subject? Do you guys have any advice as to whether i should drop bio and do photography or retake bio? Any advice is much appreciated........

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Just remember,whatever you got, or will get in the future. Exams dont define your life,you dont need good grades to make something good out of your life.
Yes, i can totally understand your position.....I want to apply to RG unis but with the D grade its not going to be the best because they do see your AS results. Do you have a good third grade that you could use to ''replace'' the bio result. If i was you i would definitely ask for a remark your so close :biggrin: and if it doesn't budge then your retaking anyway...

No unfortunately I decided to only take three AS levels as I'd rather concentrate on just three subjects than do four and do bad in them all. I feel as though I have no hope in Russell group uni's now seen as though my other two AS grades were both at B's which don't seem to be good enough as the majority of RG uni's require AAB and with the D grade in biology on top, I'm not guaranteed my grade will go up if I do send it off to remark

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest