The Student Room Group

Diploma, Jazz or Nothin'

OK so I have been playing the alto saxophone for 5-6 years now. I sat my grade 8 practical in December 2013 and I passed with distinction (woot!). I'm 16 years old and entering fifth year (year 12) in a few weeks. My saxophone tutor suggested that my next target should be to go for a diploma in musical performance in June of 2016. She seems intent that it will take me that long to prepare and I cannot sit the exam earlier. IMO that's crazy, if I can cram enough practice into 2 days before my grade 8 to still do well, I won't need nearly 2 years for this. Then again I don't know the first thing about the diploma (having spent barely an hour researching about it). I was also considering learning jazz and improvisation as I have mainly stuck to classical music so far. Aaaaaand then again I could just quit lessons and keep playing at home or random competitions for fun. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It took me a year to do violin diploma and 9 months for my viola diploma afterwards. It usually takes much longer and I have a friend who started his violin diploma 3 years ago and still is nowhere near ready! I have also done my violin LRSM (licentiate of royal schools) and just did my FRSM (fellow of royal schools) a few months ago. It took me 2 years and 3 years respectively for LRSM and FRSM.
The good thing about Diploma is the post nominal letters! They are such a novelty to have- especially now that I have 3 from ABRSM even before having completed any proper qualifications apart from GCSE's! I don't think that you get these for Jazz, but it all depends what you want to do, if you are thinking of going to a conservatoire I would strongly recommend Diploma. Plus it really is great to lord your letters over people!

Lord Harold Dip.ABRSM LRSM FRSM !!!
Original post by Lord Harold
It took me a year to do violin diploma and 9 months for my viola diploma afterwards. It usually takes much longer and I have a friend who started his violin diploma 3 years ago and still is nowhere near ready! I have also done my violin LRSM (licentiate of royal schools) and just did my FRSM (fellow of royal schools) a few months ago. It took me 2 years and 3 years respectively for LRSM and FRSM.
The good thing about Diploma is the post nominal letters! They are such a novelty to have- especially now that I have 3 from ABRSM even before having completed any proper qualifications apart from GCSE's! I don't think that you get these for Jazz, but it all depends what you want to do, if you are thinking of going to a conservatoire I would strongly recommend Diploma. Plus it really is great to lord your letters over people!

Lord Harold Dip.ABRSM LRSM FRSM !!!

Yeah having letters after my name does sound pretty awesome! Does your knowledge of theory have to be very strong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SleepingStag
Yeah having letters after my name does sound pretty awesome! Does your knowledge of theory have to be very strong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not particularly, just about the same level as you need for a grade 8 practical.
Original post by Lord Harold
Not particularly, just about the same level as you need for a grade 8 practical.

Oh that's awesome! I've always sucked at theory so if it was more complicated I don't think I'd have even considered the diploma!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SleepingStag
Oh that's awesome! I've always sucked at theory so if it was more complicated I don't think I'd have even considered the diploma!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! It is worth it.
Reply 7
yoooooo idk if you're still wondering about this but i spent like 6 months preparing for my violin diploma and was fine - i had been playing diploma repertoire for a few years prior so that helped since i was better and didn't take as long to learn the music but if you've progressed a bit since grade 8 you should be fine :biggrin: one thing i would say is if you have to do it in conjunction with gonig to school try and write your programme notes in the holidays and save yourself weeks of stress

Quick Reply

Latest