The Student Room Group

What is the best way for me to get into law? 1st year Philosophy & Economics

Hello, I am new to this. To my understanding if I want to become a solicitor I need to graduate with at least 2:1 and apply for a year extra course in law instead of masters' degree? Or is it that the masters' degree is required and then I should do the extra year?

Could someone outline the procedure step by step?
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Yes - the extra course is called the LPC (Legal Practice Course) and this is completed after you have obtained your undergraduate degree.

You don't need a Masters to complete the LPC and and with some LPC courses you can top it up with extra modules so it becomes a Masters in Law anyway.

As a non-law student you would need to complete the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) before completing the LPC though. This is basically the core law modules condensed into 1 year.

So for you the route would be finish undergrad degree -> GDL (1 year) -> LPC (7 months to 1 year) -> training contract (2 years) -> qualify as a solicitor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello J-SP,

Thanks for your reply. I am totally new to this so I have two further questions to ask. One is about funding and the other one about LPC v Masters.

I've read here http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduate-funding-options/ that there is up to 25k to borrow to fund both GDL & LPC. Is this the only source of money? I will probably have some money saved because I am always saving as much money as possible, but I am also forced to spend much.

I took the statement that LPC becomes Masters in Law literally. This is why I would like to ask you, hypothetically, if one could then proceed to do PhD research in Law after LPC as if one did LLM? Might sound stupid and probably not many people do that, but I was just curious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending