The Student Room Group

Gap year after AS-Level? Then reenrol?

Basically, I didn't so great in my AS levels. But I'm planning on doing medicine so even though I could do resits and work super hard then maybe get As, the odds aren't great.
I was thinking, maybe I could take a year out, then re-enrol for college next year and start all over again?
I know medicine want you to have achieved your A levels in two years, but technically it would be two years. Plus there's no way the unis will know about my first set of AS level grades, unless I put them on the UCAS form (which I won't).
Am I right in thinking this and is it a good idea?
Reply 1
Original post by laurenkl
Basically, I didn't so great in my AS levels. But I'm planning on doing medicine so even though I could do resits and work super hard then maybe get As, the odds aren't great.
I was thinking, maybe I could take a year out, then re-enrol for college next year and start all over again?
I know medicine want you to have achieved your A levels in two years, but technically it would be two years. Plus there's no way the unis will know about my first set of AS level grades, unless I put them on the UCAS form (which I won't).
Am I right in thinking this and is it a good idea?

Even if you don't tell the unis, wouldn't your age give it away when you do apply?? It'll certainly bring up questions I think..
Reply 2
Original post by Ruyshi
Even if you don't tell the unis, wouldn't your age give it away when you do apply?? It'll certainly bring up questions I think..

I could just say that I took a gap year and see what they say? they can't just reject me based on my age.
Reply 3
They would know when they look at the year you completed your GCSE and A2s

Also your sixth form has to prove that the qualifications you gave are true, including the year you completed them.
You HAVE to put your previously achieved grades - unless you resit the exact same subjects/ exam boards. Even then, there may be a section requiring the dates you were enrolled at college or something, I can't quite remember...

They would probably ask what you were doing during you supposed two year break between GCSEs and A levels - it would be very unusual. They would expect you to either have some medical reason not to continue at college, have had a full-time job (which they may be suspicious of, medicine is a very tough degree - taking a break after GCSEs may suggest you were less keen on studying), have done lots of work experience or something. If you just leave those years suspiciously blank they will think you either failed A levels, or sat around at home watching TV.

Bear in mind that you will have to pay for sixth form if you will be over 19 (18?) when doing your A levels - it is not covered by the government I don't think. However, if you resit your AS year now and continue on to A2s you should be fine - although you will probably struggle applying to medicine. Perhaps consider related courses such as biomedical sciences, and if you are still interested in medicine you can apply for graduate entry?
Reply 5
I could just say that I took a gap year and see what they say? they can't just reject me based on my age.

No, of course they won't reject you because of your age... They shouldn't anyway. I'm just questioning if its wise to take a gap year now rather than after you do complete A2 (if you really want to take one)
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You HAVE to put your previously achieved grades - unless you resit the exact same subjects/ exam boards. Even then, there may be a section requiring the dates you were enrolled at college or something, I can't quite remember...

They would probably ask what you were doing during you supposed two year break between GCSEs and A levels - it would be very unusual. They would expect you to either have some medical reason not to continue at college, have had a full-time job (which they may be suspicious of, medicine is a very tough degree - taking a break after GCSEs may suggest you were less keen on studying), have done lots of work experience or something. If you just leave those years suspiciously blank they will think you either failed A levels, or sat around at home watching TV.

Bear in mind that you will have to pay for sixth form if you will be over 19 (18?) when doing your A levels - it is not covered by the government I don't think. However, if you resit your AS year now and continue on to A2s you should be fine - although you will probably struggle applying to medicine. Perhaps consider related courses such as biomedical sciences, and if you are still interested in medicine you can apply for graduate entry?

I didn't realise you had to, but I am planning to redo the same subjects with the same exam boards.
I see what you mean about the absence, but I am planning on doing constructive things in the meantime.
I'll be 18 when I restart, but will be 19 at the time I sit my A-levels, would I still have to pay?
How would I resit my AS year now and then continue to A2? Would I not have to re-enrol for next year?
I've looked into other things like graduate medicine but I'm trying other stuff for now.
Thanks.
I didn't realise you had to, but I am planning to redo the same subjects with the same exam boards.
I see what you mean about the absence, but I am planning on doing constructive things in the meantime.
I'll be 18 when I restart, but will be 19 at the time I sit my A-levels, would I still have to pay?
How would I resit my AS year now and then continue to A2? Would I not have to re-enrol for next year?
I've looked into other things like graduate medicine but I'm trying other stuff for now.
Thanks.

Yes, I believe it's required that you put down all your results (except possibly fails? Not 100% sure on this). If you redo the same subjects, they may still be able to tell if you have to put down the dates you were enrolled at the school anyway. As I mentioned before though, I don't remember whether they asked for this or just your sixth form graduation year.

I don't know the detailed requirements about the government paying thing - I'm sure if you google it something official will come up.

Why do you need to take a gap year now though? I am suggesting you just start ASs again this September - as if you were someone just finished GCSEs. Then you do A2s next year.
Reply 8
Yes, I believe it's required that you put down all your results (except possibly fails? Not 100% sure on this). If you redo the same subjects, they may still be able to tell if you have to put down the dates you were enrolled at the school anyway. As I mentioned before though, I don't remember whether they asked for this or just your sixth form graduation year.

I don't know the detailed requirements about the government paying thing - I'm sure if you google it something official will come up.

Why do you need to take a gap year now though? I am suggesting you just start ASs again this September - as if you were someone just finished GCSEs. Then you do A2s next year.

Ah okay thanks anyway.

Well part of the reason that I did badly was poor mental health and I don't feel like I could continue without making it worse so I thought that a break would help. Do colleges let you do that then? I thought I would have to reenrol for next year to be allowed to do AS again?

Either way, it will probably disadvantage me to redo my exams, but would it be better to restart now or take a year out then restart?
Ah okay thanks anyway.

Well part of the reason that I did badly was poor mental health and I don't feel like I could continue without making it worse so I thought that a break would help. Do colleges let you do that then? I thought I would have to reenrol for next year to be allowed to do AS again?

Either way, it will probably disadvantage me to redo my exams, but would it be better to restart now or take a year out then restart?

If you had poor mental health you should be able to have that mentioned in your UCAS reference by your tutor, and there may have been an extenuating circumstances section on the UCAS form - although I applied two years ago so can't remember the details of it much now/ things might have changed anyway... You may even be able to mention your health problems as inspiring you to do medicine or something in your Personal Statement - however be prepared for them to ask you about it at interview if you do, and make sure you don't sound like you're making excuses for bad grades in your personal statement.

If you think that going back to doing ASs this September would be bad for your mental health then having a break sounds like a good idea. There is no point putting pressure on yourself and stressing when you need some more time to recover. As you have health problems (and I assume you have been speaking to a professional about them? You may need an official looking letter to confirm why you were unable to study) your college may allow you to take a study break, and universities should not discriminate against you. However, I have no idea on what the A level funding issue thing is if you have medical reasons for taking a break from studying - although I have a feeling that they do literally cut off the funding for the year you turn 20... Seriously, check online or ask your school for some advice on this.

You're probably best off taking a year out then redoing A levels. Check the funding issues - but if you can get funding/ can afford to pay, then it's probably best to take a break then work really hard for your A levels once you're ready.

It might also be worth looking into some university's medicine gateway/ foundation/ access years as you would probably be eligible for some due to your health problems. These could enable you to get into medicine without the perfect A level grades :smile:
Reply 10
If you had poor mental health you should be able to have that mentioned in your UCAS reference by your tutor, and there may have been an extenuating circumstances section on the UCAS form - although I applied two years ago so can't remember the details of it much now/ things might have changed anyway... You may even be able to mention your health problems as inspiring you to do medicine or something in your Personal Statement - however be prepared for them to ask you about it at interview if you do, and make sure you don't sound like you're making excuses for bad grades in your personal statement.

If you think that going back to doing ASs this September would be bad for your mental health then having a break sounds like a good idea. There is no point putting pressure on yourself and stressing when you need some more time to recover. As you have health problems (and I assume you have been speaking to a professional about them? You may need an official looking letter to confirm why you were unable to study) your college may allow you to take a study break, and universities should not discriminate against you. However, I have no idea on what the A level funding issue thing is if you have medical reasons for taking a break from studying - although I have a feeling that they do literally cut off the funding for the year you turn 20... Seriously, check online or ask your school for some advice on this.

You're probably best off taking a year out then redoing A levels. Check the funding issues - but if you can get funding/ can afford to pay, then it's probably best to take a break then work really hard for your A levels once you're ready.

It might also be worth looking into some university's medicine gateway/ foundation/ access years as you would probably be eligible for some due to your health problems. These could enable you to get into medicine without the perfect A level grades :smile:

Okay, thanks a lot for all the advice. I've actually decided in the end to continue at college and try and see if I can pull my grades up. But if it gets too much I'll probably have to leave and redo them later. I would probably be able to qualify as having extenuating circumstances but I will try to go ahead normally if I can.

Thanks again :smile:
Okay, thanks a lot for all the advice. I've actually decided in the end to continue at college and try and see if I can pull my grades up. But if it gets too much I'll probably have to leave and redo them later. I would probably be able to qualify as having extenuating circumstances but I will try to go ahead normally if I can.

Thanks again :smile:

No problem, great to hear you've got everything sorted :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest