The Student Room Group

Abysmal A2 Results - to retake the year or do a foundation year?

After my terrible a level results - DDU - I was obviously rejected from my firm, leeds (AAB) and insurance manchester (ABB) and subjected to clearing.

My dilemma is whether to:
retake year 13 to get the grades for leeds/russell group unis, cause I know as long as I put in the work I can get those grades (but if I didn't for yr1+2 what makes me think I will for yr3...)
OR
to take the clearing offer uclan kindly gave me, as the requirement was supposed to be DDE, to do a foundation year in modern languages (an offer I've yet to put on track as I'm still undecided on what to do but does have a time limit of 48hrs from today)

The problem with retaking yr 13 is that I'd be reapplying as a 3-year a level student, something I know russell group don't look upon that favourably unless there's extenuating circumstance which I unfortunately don't have.
On the other hand, although the foundation year is in the exact area I wanted to do my degree, uclan is not a particularly highly regarded/ranked uni and that worries me about my future, also if I were to do well in it and decide to try to transfer uni at the end of the year, would it affect my chances of transferring to a russell group uni? :/

Sorry for the long rambling post but any and all constructive advice would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss at what I should do especially with the added time constraint!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kikaybe
After my terrible a level results - DDU - I was obviously rejected from my firm, leeds (AAB) and insurance manchester (ABB) and subjected to clearing.

retake year 13 to get the grades for leeds/russell group unis, cause I know as long as I put in the work I can get those grades (but if I didn't for yr1+2 what makes me think I will for yr3...)
OR
to take the clearing offer uclan kindly gave me, as the requirement was supposed to be DDE, to do a foundation year in modern languages (an offer I've yet to put on track as I'm still undecided on what to do but does have a time limit of 48hrs from today)

The problem with retaking yr 13 is that I'd be reapplying as a 3-year a level student, something I know russell group don't look upon that favourably unless there's extenuating circumstance which I unfortunately don't have.
On the other hand, although the foundation year is in the exact area I wanted to do my degree, uclan is not a particularly highly regarded/ranked uni and that worries me about my future, also if I were to do well in it and decide to try to transfer uni at the end of the year, would it affect my chances of transferring to a russell group uni? :/

Sorry for the long rambling post but any and all constructive advice would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss at what I should do especially with the added time constraint!

Do the foundation year then transfer into a Russel group Uni for 2015 with your foundation year marks. Contact the russel group uni's and find out if they willa ccept your foundation year.
Reply 2
That's a good idea, I will try to contact them tomorrow about transferring from a foundation year and coming to them as a 3 year a leveler!
Reply 3
i do like the sound of doing the foundation year as that means i won't have to do maths again, but i would have to pay for the foundation year but not for a 3rd year...also as far as i've seen so far, you don't seem to get any financial help when doing a year 0 at uni?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2094990

Read the third post here. I'm in the same position as you getting bad grades. I have an offer from a uni for a foundation year but I really don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards resitting A2 as I would only have to take 4/5 exams.
Reply 5
thanks and lucky you! i'd have at least 10 exams if i want a min of ABB. how did you do? what's it you want to do at uni?
Original post by kikaybe

OR

Well a few years ago I finished college with DEN in maths, biology, and chem respectively (I hated the college). Anyway after that I went back to my sixth form back at school in order to retake the Chemistry and also enrolled at a local college in order to do my Biology A level, ended up with C grades in both sciences. I left the maths at grade D. Got a place to read pharmaceutical chem at Queen Mary, although not sure it would now, this was a few years back. I would definitely recommend trying again, especially if there are underlying reasons why you know that made things go a little pear shaped. There are plenty of universities that won't mind the fact that you did a resit, especially in this climate of increased uni fees and more places becoming available to study higher education. Good Luck!
Original post by kikaybe
thanks and lucky you! i'd have at least 10 exams if i want a min of ABB. how did you do? what's it you want to do at uni?

Want to do Computer Science. Yeah I'm going to talk to my tutor tomorrow to explore options. However I am feeling much better already :smile:.
I got grades BBC. My results are so weird, for example in Psychology on one A2 unit I got 97% and on the other I got 45% which is so strange :s
Original post by kikaybe
That's a good idea, I will try to contact them tomorrow about transferring from a foundation year and coming to them as a 3 year a leveler!

I did a foundation year for medicine and transferred instead of retaking a-levels.
Best decision I ever made.
Had to work super hard for year one when everyone was chilling but well worth it.
Reply 9
Original post by yodawg321
Want to do Computer Science. Yeah I'm going to talk to my tutor tomorrow to explore options. However I am feeling much better already :smile:.
I got grades BBC. My results are so weird, for example in Psychology on one A2 unit I got 97% and on the other I got 45% which is so strange :s

BBC is good! could you not find your course in clearing for lower requirements? and the 97% will have been what saved your 45% in Psychology!
I think I'll do the same, as I'll be in college anyways for work
Reply 10
Original post by derma2019
I did a foundation year for medicine and transferred instead of retaking a-levels.
Best decision I ever made.
Had to work super hard for year one when everyone was chilling but well worth it.

can i ask where you did the foundation year and where you transferred to?
Original post by kikaybe
can i ask where you did the foundation year and where you transferred to?

From Uni of Bradford (foundation in Medicine/clin sci) to Medicine at Leeds
Reply 12
Original post by derma2019
From Uni of Bradford (foundation in Medicine/clin sci) to Medicine at Leeds

how did you go about transferring? was it easy?
Original post by kikaybe

OR

Hey

Many Russell group unis don't give a damn if you take three years - I know people who did and got offers from Southampton, Liverpool, Queen Mary's, Manchester and Birmingham. None with extenuating circumstances. You should be fine! Tbh if I were in your situation I would most definitely retake the year and see what I was capable of, and get the degree from a more respected university. Either way - you're going to be taking the A levels again or taking the foundation year - it's best to choose the path that leads to an easier future.
Original post by kikaybe
how did you go about transferring? was it easy?

Well I had to put the work in (it was more work load heavy than difficult) so definitely do able. Just have to prioritize and aim for the highest you can.
It's entirely your decision, but don't worry about being a 3 year A Level student. I know two 3 year A Level students who got results today; one is off to York and the other is going to Birmingham.
Reply 16
thanks everyone for all the advice so far, it's been very helpful, given me a lot of food for thought and I'm definitely feeling a lot more positive about it all!
Reply 17
Original post by dreadpiraterach
It's entirely your decision, but don't worry about being a 3 year A Level student. I know two 3 year A Level students who got results today; one is off to York and the other is going to Birmingham.

Did those two people resit year 12 or 13? Do you know if they were given higher offers than normal?
I've heard that Russell group don't mind yr12 resit as much as they do yr13 and for yr13 resit they often ask for higher grades? :/
Original post by yodawg321

Hello,

Have you considered the University of Lincoln? Our computer science has spaces available, you can find out all about the course here. Our clearing line is open, give one of our friendly advisers a call on 01522 886622.

Hope that helps

Reece
(Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)
Original post by kikaybe
Did those two people resit year 12 or 13? Do you know if they were given higher offers than normal?
I've heard that Russell group don't mind yr12 resit as much as they do yr13 and for yr13 resit they often ask for higher grades? :/

The guy who's going to Birmingham resat Year 13, but I don't really speak to him so I don't know that much about him.

The girl who's going to York resat Year 12. They actually gave her a lower offer than normal- ABB instead of AAA. She got BBB and she's still got in (although she got her results before Track updated so she spent a couple of hours crying because she thought they wouldn't have accepted her!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending