The Student Room Group

How do YOU avoid awkward silences in face/phone conversations?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prof Fido
"Well this is awkward!!!"

and then I leave or hang up.

You actually leave after saying that? Rofl
Original post by Viva Emptiness
This is exactly why I hate talking on the phone. Usually there's a couple of seconds silence while one waits to see if the other still has anything to say, and by the time you've both realised the conversation is over, it's already become awkward.

Exactly why i hate speaking on the phone too. It sort of makes me anxious too if i dont know the person that well too..
How do you avoid awkward silences in real life face face convos?
I flop my big one out to break the tension :rolleyes:
Original post by Secretnerd123
You actually leave after saying that? Rofl

Exactly why i hate speaking on the phone too. It sort of makes me anxious too if i dont know the person that well too..
How do you avoid awkward silences in real life face face convos?

I don't leave the house.
I just go "uuhhuhhrhhmmmm" and giggle a lot.
I'll have looked around the place before at things I can comment on in case there's an awkward silence, and I'll just bring it up. Something about the situation usually. Other times I'll just embrace the silence as long as we're doing something like walking around, I'm hardly ever sitting and talking.
i hate it when it happens on the phone but i always end up hanging up the phone. if i am face to face with the person i would walk away.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't leave the house.

Oh um ok :tongue:
Change the subject.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Why would you have awkward silence on the phone? If neither of you have anything left to say then hang up.

Awkward silences are quite common in conversations. Speech is spontaneous so is not fully coherent, and silences/pauses are natural. Normally they don't last long and conversation moves on :smile:

Like a few have said, I ask questions normally :tongue:
When it comes to phones I am fine answering them. But I find phoning someone up hard for some reason :/

Glad I'm not the ony one who doesn't really like phones. I much prefer texting and email.
Reply 30
I don't avoid awkward silences, I let them happen because my attempt to get out of the awkward silence is usually even more awkward than the silence itself and I try to avoid speaking on the phone as much as possible anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest