The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Any help with accomodation and finance?

So here's my situation:

I've got a place at Keele through clearing via RPA (I didn't go through UCAS myself as I didn't have a reference saved from last year—I've been on a gap year). I'm currently waiting on an email from UCAS to tell me my ID, login info etc. so that I can accept the placement, which should take a day or two. I wanted to get my accommodation and finance sorted before that, however, as it's first come first serve. When I go onto the accommodation page it gives me two options: either "En-suite room at Liberty Court, Stoke (bus pass included)" or "Temporary shared room on Keele campus".

First of all, I don't really want the Liberty Court one due to the travel, I'd rather have an on-campus one. So I'd like to go for the second option. Could someone explain to me exactly how the second one works? Would it be a shared bedroom, or just shared living area? Am I guaranteed a permanent room as soon as they can find one, and how long will that take? And finally, in order to apply for the accommodation I need to enter my UCAS ID, which I don't have yet, because, as I stated above, I need to wait for the email with all of that info. Is there any way to get my UCAS ID more quickly? And how likely am I to still be able to gain accommodation if I wait the couple of days that I need to to get all of this information?

Finally, can anybody point me in the right direction for applying for student finance, and give me any information at all on it that you can?

Thank you :smile: And I'll hopefully see you all soon!
Original post by Automaton
So here's my situation:

I've got a place at Keele through clearing via RPA (I didn't go through UCAS myself as I didn't have a reference saved from last year—I've been on a gap year). I'm currently waiting on an email from UCAS to tell me my ID, login info etc. so that I can accept the placement, which should take a day or two. I wanted to get my accommodation and finance sorted before that, however, as it's first come first serve. When I go onto the accommodation page it gives me two options: either "En-suite room at Liberty Court, Stoke (bus pass included)" or "Temporary shared room on Keele campus".

First of all, I don't really want the Liberty Court one due to the travel, I'd rather have an on-campus one. So I'd like to go for the second option. Could someone explain to me exactly how the second one works? Would it be a shared bedroom, or just shared living area? Am I guaranteed a permanent room as soon as they can find one, and how long will that take? And finally, in order to apply for the accommodation I need to enter my UCAS ID, which I don't have yet, because, as I stated above, I need to wait for the email with all of that info. Is there any way to get my UCAS ID more quickly? And how likely am I to still be able to gain accommodation if I wait the couple of days that I need to to get all of this information?

Finally, can anybody point me in the right direction for applying for student finance, and give me any information at all on it that you can?

Thank you :smile: And I'll hopefully see you all soon!

Hi I was in a temporary shared room last year. Basically you'll be in a normal room but it'll have a bunk bed rather than a single bed. The uni makes it a priority to separate you and your roommate as soon as they can for me and the girls in the room next to me the sharing only lasted for 2 weeks. Then either you or your roommate move out to another room. You'll be guaranteed a room they won't ask you to find one off campus. When you are going to be shown the new room please please talk to your roommate and fairly decide who moves out and who stays because last year unfortunately this didn't happen for me and my roommate basically decided on her own that she wanted to keep the bunk bed room and I had to move out. We stayed really good friends but I was hurt at the time.

I'm not sure how to get the UCAS id quicker maybe try contacting them? I think they have a twitter helpline and a Facebook one if calling or emailing isn't working.

I'm not sure how likely it'll be that you'll still get accommodation but I think you'll have a pretty good chance because first years are a priority this year and very very few third years got on campus accommodation this year.

To apply for student finance go to the student finance england website and you can register for an account and fill in the form :smile:

Hope this helped :biggrin:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Hi I was in a temporary shared room last year. Basically you'll be in a normal room but it'll have a bunk bed rather than a single bed. The uni makes it a priority to separate you and your roommate as soon as they can for me and the girls in the room next to me the sharing only lasted for 2 weeks. Then either you or your roommate move out to another room. You'll be guaranteed a room they won't ask you to find one off campus. When you are going to be shown the new room please please talk to your roommate and fairly decide who moves out and who stays because last year unfortunately this didn't happen for me and my roommate basically decided on her own that she wanted to keep the bunk bed room and I had to move out. We stayed really good friends but I was hurt at the time.

I'm not sure how to get the UCAS id quicker maybe try contacting them? I think they have a twitter helpline and a Facebook one if calling or emailing isn't working.

I'm not sure how likely it'll be that you'll still get accommodation but I think you'll have a pretty good chance because first years are a priority this year and very very few third years got on campus accommodation this year.

To apply for student finance go to the student finance england website and you can register for an account and fill in the form :smile:

Hope this helped :biggrin:

Thank you that helped loads :biggrin:

I'm still kind of stressed about the whole UCAS thing. I'd half completed my UCAS app and then they used my same email to send off a UCAS app themselves (RPA processed) so I'm not sure what's going on with it. They said I should get an email and I need to click accept offer on the UCAS page after the email but I haven't had it yet (it's only been 1 1/2 days though)

[edit]
It's definitely not the same account I used to make the original half-filled-in application, as when I login to that one it's still on the page where I'm filling out my personal details etc. (and Keele took those details off me to send the application off themselves through RPA). Is it even possible to have two ucas accounts on one email address? If not then I'm a bit worried because that can only mean that I don't even have the second UCAS account yet that they were making for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Just spoke to the Keele clearing hotline and they said that I'll receive emails with everything i need after the weekend, including accommodation etc, so it's just a matter of waiting :biggrin:
Original post by Automaton
Just spoke to the Keele clearing hotline and they said that I'll receive emails with everything i need after the weekend, including accommodation etc, so it's just a matter of waiting :biggrin:

Thats good :smile: Goodluck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest