The Student Room Group

Which subject to drop at A2?

I got AAAB at AS and the B was for English Literature. I'd like to drop English at A2 so that I could have A*AA as my predicted grades instead of A*AB (and also because it's my weakest subject). However, I'm worried that as I'm applying to do Politics and International Relations, dropping English would weaken my application because it would leave me with History, Geography and Sociology.

I was wondering whether anybody had any ideas about whether it would look better on uni applications to have higher predicted grades for 'easier' subjects or to be doing History, English Lit and Geography and have A*AB as my predicted grades?
Original post by Elllllllley
I got AAAB at AS and the B was for English Literature. I'd like to drop English at A2 so that I could have A*AA as my predicted grades instead of A*AB (and also because it's my weakest subject). However, I'm worried that as I'm applying to do Politics and International Relations, dropping English would weaken my application because it would leave me with History, Geography and Sociology.

I was wondering whether anybody had any ideas about whether it would look better on uni applications to have higher predicted grades for 'easier' subjects or to be doing History, English Lit and Geography and have A*AB as my predicted grades?

History and Geography are respected A levels so having sociology won't matter. Sociology isn't too bad anyway, especially as you have 2 strong subjects. I doubt dropping English will weaken your chances, especially as it was your lowest grade anyway. I know many people who did sociology and still got offers from top universities

Look at your field, where you want to apply for jobs and see if it is a requirement (I shouldn't think so). I would drop English personally, if it was my weakest. You still have solid subjects which are highly relevant.

The convention often taken as authoritative on subject choices prescribes two higher-tier subjects and a third subject, preferably related to the university course under application. If you drop English Literature, you satisfy those conditions; History and Geography being higher-tier, and sociology holding an obvious relevance to social/political theory.
Reply 4
I did all four. You don't HAVE to drop one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending