The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine ?

Hi, I have just realised not long ago that I really want to do medicine. However , I am not sure if I will be able to due to my bad academic results :frown:.
I have AAAA*A*A*BBBBCC at gcse. AA*BB at A level but a 2.2 law degree from a RG uni.

I have also not studied any science at A level
Most universities require a minimum of a 2.1, but you could try searching the postgraduate section of UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amzll
Hi, I have just realised not long ago that I really want to do medicine. However , I am not sure if I will be able to due to my bad academic results :frown:.
I have AAAA*A*A*BBBBCC at gcse. AA*BB at A level but a 2.2 law degree from a RG uni.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

This may be useful. There are one or two courses out there that might be suitable. More if you get the a levels or a masters :smile:
Original post by amzll

You have a couple of options:

There are a couple of accelerated 4 year graduate entry programmes (GEPs) that will accept you with a 2.2. To make up for the lower degree they require you to take the GAMSAT entrance exam, which is hard and contains a lot of science and maths. e.g. St George's, Nottingham

If you do a masters and get at least a merit, there are a couple of courses that accept a 2.2 with a masters. e.g. Kings, Swansea, Warwick

Here is a good starting point for info about GEPs: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide
Some of them may require you to do one or two science A-levels so that you can understand the course content.

Alternatively if you are really determined you could go to a FE college and get 3 science A-levels and apply for the 5 year undergraduate course. This way you will be taught the science you need to know. The 5 year course is more expensive, but as GEPs are so competitive most graduates apply to at least 1 full length course (you only have 4 choices for medicine so you can end up with all rejections easily).

There are some full length courses that offer a foundation year for those with no science background. Whether they are appropriate for your situation depends on the course, so you would need to contact them, there is a list here: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/STUDENTS/COURSES/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx

You would need to demonstrate in your personal statement and at interview how and why you realised you want to do medicine, especially as your degree is in law which is vocational for a different career. You would need a lot of good work experience as well.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending