The Student Room Group

Help with my next year plan pls!!!

Ok so I have decided to retake only 7 exams for next year, hence it was really stressful and couldn't achieve well this year when I took 13 exams + 2 x coursework assessments.
The exams I will take are:

Maths; Core 2, Core 3, Decision 1 (I need to get 242 UMS in those 3 and I got 204 UMS
this year)

Maths; FP1, FP2, S1 (I did not take these 3 before and I need overall minimum grade C
or B to be on safe side, even an A if i can achieve.)

Applied Science; Unit 2 (I got 68 UMS and I need to score 79 UMS out of 100 UMS spot on and no need any higher as it will be useless.)

I am considering to study at home privately and with discipline, and I will discuss later about best exam boards for new maths modules and books and sources so on...

My main questions:

Is my target achievable?
How many hours a weak should I study to guarantee the results I require?

I will "up" this thread as it is very important for me so stay alive!!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Do the work; what else do you expect people to say? If you got off this site, got a good night's sleep and started making a pro-active action plan in the morning, you'd be in a much better position. Of course your target is achievable, but you'll have to work your socks off for it. There's no magic formula; pay attention in lessons, do all set classwork and homework, revise at home, do past papers, etc. Nothing other than you yourself doing the work is going to make this happen, and nothing anybody says on here is going to change that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pectorac
Do the work; what else do you expect people to say? If you got off this site, got a good night's sleep and started making a pro-active action plan in the morning, you'd be in a much better position. Of course your target is achievable, but you'll have to work your socks off for it. There's no magic formula; pay attention in lessons, do all set classwork and homework, revise at home, do past papers, etc. Nothing other than you yourself doing the work is going to make this happen, and nothing anybody says on here is going to change that.

Thanks for reply, but there are some things...

- Last year before the start I intended doing a lot of work and did so all the way but still didn't get the grades I needed. Plz don't say I didn't work enough, cuz that's wrong I was working virtually all the time...

- I think I am clever enough to do, but main reason I could not do is due to stressful exam period. I can see it by looking at my exam results for 13 x exams As the exam period proceeded this year, my results went down, and best results I had were at the beginning of exam period.

- Oh, btw I already said no school or college, it will be private study only.
That's where the question How many hours a weak should I work? gets its meaning from.

-Can I have more precise answers other than implying the fact I should work hard which I already know but it comes to how hard??? like 10 hours a day, 20 hours a day???? more explicit please:P
Original post by Merdan

- Last year before the start I intended doing a lot of work and did so all the way but still didn't get the grades I needed. Plz don't say I didn't work enough, cuz that's wrong I was working virtually all the time...

- I think I am clever enough to do, but main reason I could not do is due to stressful exam period. I can see it by looking at my exam results for 13 x exams As the exam period proceeded this year, my results went down, and best results I had were at the beginning of exam period.

That's where the question How many hours a weak should I work? gets its meaning from.

-Can I have more precise answers other than implying the fact I should work hard which I already know but it comes to how hard??? like 10 hours a day, 20 hours a day???? more explicit please:P

All the answers to your questions are obvious. Obviously you shouldn't be working for 20 hours a day; that will destroy your sleep pattern, blood sugars and mental health. Do as much as is realistic; study for an hour and a half, have a thirty minute break, study for an hour and a half again, etc for a few cycles. Rest, eat, exercise a bit, sleep properly.

You obviously didn't work in the best way you could have done, even if you did a lot of work. Burning yourself out to try and churn out as much work as it is physically possible for your body to do is going to make you fail. Your brain needs to actually be taking things in, not being so tired to the point where you're just looking and writing and nothing is being absorbed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
All the answers to your questions are obvious. Obviously you shouldn't be working for 20 hours a day; that will destroy your sleep pattern, blood sugars and mental health. Do as much as is realistic; study for an hour and a half, have a thirty minute break, study for an hour and a half again, etc for a few cycles. Rest, eat, exercise a bit, sleep properly.

You obviously didn't work in the best way you could have done, even if you did a lot of work. Burning yourself out to try and churn out as much work as it is physically possible for your body to do is going to make you fail. Your brain needs actually be taking things in, not being so tired to the point where you're just looking at writing and nothing is being absorbed.

Yes I am sure I burnt myself, seriously I am not joking, people who worked far less than me have got better grades in some modules and they weren't any better or clever, cuz you can see it, you are in the same class!!!

And yes I think this reply of yours is very crucial, I am physiologically depressed and about to go insane, hence last year I didn't do anything for myself not even a favour - always worked - and this bit I am not joking. When I get bad results with high work rate it really damages me...
Reply 5
Original post by Merdan

I think 20 hrs/day might be a bit over the top. 15/16 sounds about right.

No though seriously, just get through a bit everyday. Start now and finish ahead of exams. Then you can just do a bit of revision before exams and go into them stress free.
You can't put a number on the amount of hours you should do. You should do the number of hours that fulfils your target of being at an ability to answer x% of the paper.

Also, remember it's not the amount of hours you do, it's the quality of what you do. Make sure you understand everything.

By the way, it is 'week' rather than 'weak'.
Original post by Merdan
Yes I am sure I burnt myself, seriously I am not joking, people who worked far less than me have got better grades in some modules and they weren't any better or clever, cuz you can see it, you are in the same class!!!

And yes I think this reply of yours is very crucial, I am physiologically depressed and about to go insane, hence last year I didn't do anything for myself not even a favour - always worked - and this bit I am not joking. When I get bad results with high work rate it really damages me...

The people who worked less than you did better quality work, rather than the amount of work they did. It is much better to study for an hour and a half, have a half an hour break and study for another hour and a half, then go and do something else for a while, instead of sitting down for six hours, non-stop doing work.

They knew that burning themselves out was not a good idea, and that working to a sensible schedule is the best way forward. You need to do things for yourself; go out for a walk, go shopping, see friends, watch movies, play games, whatever. Even take a whole day sometimes of not doing any work at all, just have a break for a day to refresh yourself, every once in a while. Your brain is not going to cope well with information being thrown at it at every available opportunity.

Take breaks and do leisure activities in-between work sessions; take a few hours if you need to. Work for ninety minutes, go out for three hours, then come back and work for ninety minutes again. Vary the length of your breaks; sometimes half an hour, sometimes a few hours. Do what you feel you need to do to be in a good mental state to work, rather than forcing yourself to work in a bad way, just for the sake of doing work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
The people who worked less than you did better quality work, rather than the amount of work they did. It is much better to study for an hour and a half, have a half an hour break and study for another hour and a half, then go and do something else for a while, instead of sitting down for six hours, non-stop doing work.

They knew that burning themselves out was not a good idea, and that working to a sensible schedule is the best way forward. You need to do things for yourself; go out for a walk, go shopping, see friends, watch movies, play games, whatever. Even take a whole day sometimes of not doing any work at all, just have a break for a day to refresh yourself, every once in a while. Your brain is not going to cope well with information being thrown at it at every available opportunity.

Take breaks and do leisure activities in-between work sessions; take a few hours if you need to. Work for ninety minutes, go out for three hours, then come back and work for ninety minutes again. Vary the length of your breaks; sometimes half an hour, sometimes a few hours. Do what you feel you need to do to be in a good mental state to work, rather than forcing yourself to work in a bad way, just for the sake of doing work.

Sure, I am so stressed about work, even now knowing that I have reduced the number of exams this year relaxes me a bit
and sure I will learn from your advice, at first when you replied you refrained to give those "nice" advices lol probably not knowing my situation well and not knowing I didn't have anyone to give me advice of this sort...

Quick Reply