The Student Room Group

Not the best AS-Level results - Applying to university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by snikutsmullac
I'm really not sure about medicine, but if I were you, what I would do is re-take the ASyear. 14 exams in one year is going to be too much, especially when you have to reach such a high standard in all of them to stand a good chance of getting into medical school. I'm sure it is do-able but I think it would be extremely hard.

I know its gonna be hard work but i have no choice.
I havent thought of a back up either
totally screwed :'(
Original post by Gg7
I know its gonna be hard work but i have no choice.
I havent thought of a back up either
totally screwed :'(

Not trying to discourage you, but have you considered a related discipline, e.g. Pharmacy or Paramedic Science? It's not exactly the same but it's a stepping stone in the right direction. You could always do a degree in one of these courses with lower entry requirements and then apply for graduate medicine. I really don't know what to advise you to do.
If you go to www.whatuni.com and enter your intended subject (make sure you alter the drop-down away from 'Clearing' to 'Degrees'), on the next page you can enter your likely A2 grades (be honest...) and see a list of likely Unis.

You should always check on each Unis own website (for 2015 entry) to double check grades and subjects required.
Original post by mariatomasini
Well most people say you usually get predicted one grade higher, therefore AAA or AAB

However it all depends on how close your were to the next grade, performance throughout the year and your teachers!

thank you :smile:
I'm sure she'll do better next time.

You do about schizophrenia and stuff in A2 don't you? I'd find that interesting. What kind of case studies do you do?

I'm so glad I picked it, even though it's not necessarily needed to study it at degree. I thought AS past papers were hard, I've been looking at A2 past papers. A 30 mark essay talking about justice, sounds super difficult!

That's why I didn't take English! I couldn't do with all of the reading. In GCSE English Literature we had to read a book and a play for an exam and I found that too much haha

Yeah! We started it at the end of year 12 and it was so interesting! Well we do loads, the most interesting so far wasnt really a case study, well we studied obedience and one of the experiments was Milgram's. Its basically to see how people obey to authority figures... basically, this guy in a lab coat at yale university asked a bunch of volunteers to give electric shocks up to 450 volts to the other volunteer every time they got a question wrong (They didnt know that the aim of the experiment was to see who would obey, they thought it had to do with ways to improve learning, BTW, the electric shocks werent real, and the other 'volunteer' wasnt really a volunteer, they were just pretending to see how far the actual volunteers would go. ) Guess what, most people obeid up to 450 volts!! they were willing to kill someone just because a random person in a lab coat asked them to!! Its shocking. Sorry about the confusing, long essay. Its hard to explain :rolleyes:

I know.. I am absolutely dreading my economics homework, it has to do with A2 and I don't get it at all!!

I really wish I could go back and take something else instead of english, but its not too bad, my teacher is hilarious and really really nice, that helps make it better
Original post by Gg7
I need an AAB to get into most unis
However if i resit as year then it would be a three year course and unis dont accept three year courses
I am willing to work hard coz i really want this
and yes i got an A in edexcel Geography

Well if you keep geography , you only need to retake one of your D's to get a B and maybe one unit of the subject you got a C to get it up to a B at AS and if you work really hard and get a high A at A2 you will end up with an A. It will be a lot of work anyway...
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah! We started it at the end of year 12 and it was so interesting! Well we do loads, the most interesting so far wasnt really a case study, well we studied obedience and one of the experiments was Milgram's. Its basically to see how people obey to authority figures... basically, this guy in a lab coat at yale university asked a bunch of volunteers to give electric shocks up to 450 volts to the other volunteer every time they got a question wrong (They didnt know that the aim of the experiment was to see who would obey, they thought it had to do with ways to improve learning, BTW, the electric shocks werent real, and the other 'volunteer' wasnt really a volunteer, they were just pretending to see how far the actual volunteers would go. ) Guess what, most people obeid up to 450 volts!! they were willing to kill someone just because a random person in a lab coat asked them to!! Its shocking. Sorry about the confusing, long essay. Its hard to explain :rolleyes:

I know.. I am absolutely dreading my economics homework, it has to do with A2 and I don't get it at all!!

I really wish I could go back and take something else instead of english, but its not too bad, my teacher is hilarious and really really nice, that helps make it better

Sounds pretty cruel.... the things people will do for an experiment, haha!

Economics sounds difficult... did you get summer homework for all of your subjects? I didn't get any :wink:

I think a lot of the time, the teacher makes the subject, which is probably partly why I did so badly in Chemistry...
Sounds pretty cruel.... the things people will do for an experiment, haha!

Economics sounds difficult... did you get summer homework for all of your subjects? I didn't get any :wink:

I think a lot of the time, the teacher makes the subject, which is probably partly why I did so badly in Chemistry...

Economics is quite difficult, I thought it was the hardest of my a levels, some way I ended up doing better at it than in my other subjects haha It is quite interesting.

Lucky. I have got loads for economics and 3 books to read for English.. :confused:

I know.. if you have a bad teacher its likely that you will get a bad grade... Luckily all my teachers were good, so I have got no excuse haha
Economics is quite difficult, I thought it was the hardest of my a levels, some way I ended up doing better at it than in my other subjects haha It is quite interesting.

Lucky. I have got loads for economics and 3 books to read for English.. :confused:

I know.. if you have a bad teacher its likely that you will get a bad grade... Luckily all my teachers were good, so I have got no excuse haha

I lied... I've got a little bit of History work to do and some recapping of AS stuff that we need to know for A2, other than that nothing! :tongue:

That's good, it makes the subject all the more enjoyable. The teachers at my college are really hit and miss, although my history teacher is probably the nicest teacher I have ever had anywhere :P
I lied... I've got a little bit of History work to do and some recapping of AS stuff that we need to know for A2, other than that nothing! :tongue:

That's good, it makes the subject all the more enjoyable. The teachers at my college are really hit and miss, although my history teacher is probably the nicest teacher I have ever had anywhere :P

haha we will both have a lot of work anyway to get our grades up! So we better get used to it haha

I know.. I think thats why I love all my subjects. Yeah, English is dull but I enjoy the lessons anyway! I really hope i get to keep my teachers , i wont survive english otherwise :eek:
Several comments about 'stubborn teachers'.

Please remember that pressuring teachers to inflate your predicted grades is actually very silly. Just think of the misery of A level Results Day when a student who applied well beyond their ability has just seen all their dreams come crashing down because they convinced that teacher they were 'good enough' for an A or whatever. They weren't and the teacher knew they weren't. And if they'd listened to that teacher they'd now be happily going to Uni instead of crying their eyes out and scrabbling about in Clearing.

Getting Offers way above your real ability because a teacher has over-predicted is pointless. 'I've got an Offer from Durham' might sound terrific, but that isn't a PLACE at Durham. You then have to GET those grades to get in. And reaching exam season, and knowing there is probably now no chance of you doing that well, but you are holding two ludicrously high offers is probably a guarantee for the most stressful summer possible.

Accept your predictions. Use them as motivation to do better, but don't ask teachers to inflate them. It isn't worth the pain.
Original post by returnmigrant
Several comments about 'stubborn teachers'.

Please remember that pressuring teachers to inflate your predicted grades is actually very silly. Just think of the misery of A level Results Day when a student who applied well beyond their ability has just seen all their dreams come crashing down because they convinced that teacher they were 'good enough' for an A or whatever. They weren't and the teacher knew they weren't. And if they'd listened to that teacher they'd now be happily going to Uni instead of crying their eyes out and scrabbling about in Clearing.

Getting Offers way above your real ability because a teacher has over-predicted is pointless. 'I've got an Offer from Durham' might sound terrific, but that isn't a PLACE at Durham. You then have to GET those grades to get in. And reaching exam season, and knowing there is probably now no chance of you doing that well, but you are holding two ludicrously high offers is probably a guarantee for the most stressful summer possible.

Accept your predictions. Use them as motivation to do better, but don't ask teachers to inflate them. It isn't worth the pain.

Conversely, you getting low predictions limits you to lesser universities when you could do much better in A2 than AS. A B at AS can turn into an A* at A2. Then when you get higher grades than predictions, you have to go through the hassle of adjustment or accept your place at a worse institution.

Id rather my reach be beyond my grasp and have something to really strive for, than settle for less because of a slight knockback.
(edited 9 years ago)
Then when you get higher grades than predictions, you have to go through the hassle of adjustment or accept your place at a worse institution.

Or you don't regard applying to Uni as a race, and wait until you have known results before applying in the following year to a University that you then know is within your grasp.

Quick Reply

Latest