The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Hey im going to be studying New Media also but at the mo, it seems like its just us two!!

Got myspace?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Well I dont know if I'll be studying it yet - Im going to the open day on.. thursday i think!
It's not programming, but it does involve web design (my flatmate did it last year). You will have to do it as part of the module, so it's worth downloading some HTML editing program/s to experiment. I'm actually a webmaster and I use Dreamweaver (you can get a trail at macromedia.com) although this might be throwing you in at the deep end. HTML isn't "real" programming though so don't worry, the learning curve isn't as steep.
I actually have dreamweaver (by fluke, dont ask), but make sites using the "design" mode rather than text based. HTML doesnt look that bad.

So there's no java programming?
Reply 5
Hey i'm starting New Media in a few weeks! Well there is quite a lot of coding I guess in the course, but it will be internet based, actionscript stuff for Flash and HTML/ASP/etc for web design stuff.
cartleman
I actually have dreamweaver (by fluke, dont ask), but make sites using the "design" mode rather than text based. HTML doesnt look that bad.

So there's no java programming?

I doubt there'd be java. I did a course with the School of Computing called Introduction to Programming where we did Java, though. I think you'll be focussing on web-based languages which are a fair bit easier.

Dreamweaver's good but you'll be expected to be able to write the code by hand, not just use DW's tools. It's useful in general web design terms to understand what's going on underneath the hood, learn it!

Latest