The Student Room Group

HELP URGENT what uni for law

Scroll to see replies

Ask judge dredd he is the law
Reply 21
Original post by jenkinsear
Oxford undergrad, Oxford BCL (basically a masters), now working in legal recruitment before starting a Harvard LLM in autumn. Then have a training contract offer to start in 2016.

Oh nice, I thought BCL was a bachelors in civil law though no?

Will your training contract be in US? :smile:
Original post by a10

Will your training contract be in US? :smile:

In name it is, but in incredibly simplified terms it's basically the equivalent of a masters for people with common law degrees. Civil lawyer do the MJur. I just say masters as it's simpler :wink:

and no, it'll be in London.
Original post by a10

In a medieval university you studied 3 arts subjects to get a BA, and another 4 to get an MA. Then you started vocational training to get a higher bachelor's degree in divinity, law or medicine. Eventually you received a doctoral degree in one of the higher faculties.

What has happened from the mid 19th century in London, is the award of bachelors degrees in the higher faculties to undergraduates. As a result the first postgraduate degree in those faculties has generally been renamed as a masters.

Oxford still has a few bachelors degrees in the higher faculties; BM, BCL, BMus and BPhil (the latter two not being medieval). Most of the others; the BPhil (other than in philosophy), the BLitt, and the BSc have been converted into masters degrees and the BD is no longer awarded.
Reply 24
Original post by nulli tertius
In a medieval university you studied 3 arts subjects to get a BA, and another 4 to get an MA. Then you started vocational training to get a higher bachelor's degree in divinity, law or medicine. Eventually you received a doctoral degree in one of the higher faculties.

What has happened from the mid 19th century in London, is the award of bachelors degrees in the higher faculties to undergraduates. As a result the first postgraduate degree in those faculties has generally been renamed as a masters.

Oxford still has a few bachelors degrees in the higher faculties; BM, BCL, BMus and BPhil (the latter two not being medieval). Most of the others; the BPhil (other than in philosophy), the BLitt, and the BSc have been converted into masters degrees and the BD is no longer awarded.

I see, it is a bit strange though lol
Reply 25
i have BCC b in maths c in bio and chem. although i was predicted an A in maths but was brought down due to M1 module and in biology i was an A/A* so getting an c was was very unexpected and really upsetting. i know i can do alot better if i do retake, as i could of done more papers and it makes me soo sad as the grades do not reflect me at all. however family and friends are saying to leave retakes and try to get an 2.1 or first in uni and then complete a masters at a better uni. Although im still in fear of job prospects due to the fact i want to become a barrister and getting onto the bar and getting pupillage's is already soo difficult! ;(
Reply 26
will you need to retake only some papers or all of them? Did you get As in some individual papers?
I know this is a bit late now, but emily got told!
Original post by rina_28
i have BCC b in maths c in bio and chem. although i was predicted an A in maths but was brought down due to M1 module and in biology i was an A/A* so getting an c was was very unexpected and really upsetting. i know i can do alot better if i do retake, as i could of done more papers and it makes me soo sad as the grades do not reflect me at all. however family and friends are saying to leave retakes and try to get an 2.1 or first in uni and then complete a masters at a better uni. Although im still in fear of job prospects due to the fact i want to become a barrister and getting onto the bar and getting pupillage's is already soo difficult! ;(

Whilst I appreciate that your friends and family are trying to help, I think those A Level grades are going to hold you back. Most solicitors' firms nowadays look for ABB+, so I'd seriously consider resitting now. I'm not taking the barrister route, so I don't know much about whether doing an LLM will help - but in order to maximise your chances of becoming a lawyer you need to have a tick in the box at every stage, rather than trying to compensate for shortcomings later down the line.

One other thing I'd say is that you might not necessarily have a realistic view of what it's like to be a barrister. I previously wanted to go to the Bar, but realised that becoming a solicitor advocate offers the same potential to do advocacy and lets you do all of the client handling and case preparation that solicitors do when there isn't as much courtroom work to go around. The other advantage of qualifying as a solicitor (which doesn't prevent you from becoming a barrister later!) is that you don't have to self-fund the BPTC/LPC. These courses generally cost £10,000-£15,000, and if you're a future solicitor it's common for your firm to pay the fees for you.

The best thing to do is concentrate on improving your A Level results, ensure you attend a reputable university, and make the most of the extracurricular activities on offer to enhance your CV.
Oxford undergrad, Oxford BCL (basically a masters), now working in legal recruitment before starting a Harvard LLM in autumn. Then have a training contract offer to start in 2016.

I'm curious - why the LL.M after the BCL?
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm curious - why the LL.M after the BCL?

Always wanted to live in America for a while & I really enjoy the academic side of law as well as the (eventual) practical side of it. Plus having the BCL and LLM will make it much easier for me to pursue a career in academia should I decide that I hate life as a solicitor. So really a) enjoyment, b) curiosity and c) tactical. If it wasn't fully funded, I wouldn't be going.
Personally, when I went to visit Leicester University, I thought their Law department looked really good. Hoping to make it as my firm choice!
This is incredibly inaccurate and misleading. Can you point me towards a top 50 firm that has awarded training contracts to multiple BPP llb grads? Any firms where you can show BPP applicants had higher success rates than Russell Group applicants? I sense your going to avoid answering this q's or just post a cop out.

Fact remains, employers ARE fussy about your choice of University.

Surely the most important thing is that they are able to actually get the kind of job they want? Or what about the University experience as a whole? Maybe they want a proper range of student societies, the experience of living in halls or some actual sports facilities?

Wow, talk about trying to mislead someone. The 32 firms you refer to send LPC students to you. I.e. people who will have already got training contracts and have come from top Universities. Those firms have a limited choice of providers and basically pick whoever will get them the cheapest deal. The LPC is entirely separate to the LLB, so trying to piggyback off that is illogical and flagrantly deceptive. You've not said anything about how many of this years LLB grads got training contracts- interesting that.

Everywhere offers this.

Again, everywhere offers this.

I note with some amusement that you use the term "legal position". Some recognition of all those people sold law degrees on the promise of becoming a solicitor or barrister who instead end up stuck as a paralegal on woeful pay perhaps?

I'm going to be honest Emily, you ought to be absolutely ashamed of how misleading and selective your post on here was. It's incredibly unprofessional for starters. You'd hope for some ethics or human decency from those employed in such a role, particularly at a time of year where people are feeling worried/stressed, but you really have tried wholeheartedly to take advantage of that.

Absolutely brilliant rant!

Could you do the same assassination on the following university - currently languishing at the bottom of the league tables and still enticing unsuspecting students to part with cash for what is essentially a rather sub standard education ( allegedly )

Affordable Quality Education
At London Met University we believe that everyone has the right to an affordable quality education. Our courses have received top marks from the UK's Quality Assurance Agency and we offer a number of fee reductions and scholarships to help you pay for your studies.

Employability is at the heart of the curriculum at London Met. Many of our courses are accredited by a wide range of professional bodies ensuring qualifications have professional currency and we can help you to find placements, work experience and voluntary opportunities across a wide variety of organisations.
I also need help! Trying to choose between Keele, Essex & at a stretch Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending