The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well surprise surprise, no computer as of yet. I did get my credit card bill this morning though and they've charged me 50pounds, which is odd, because it ought to cost closer to 300. Whether they take a deposit for building a custom computer, I don't know, but if I get charged the full amount later, I am not going to be a happy chappy!
Reply 21
Well in case anybody is reading this and wishes to learn a little more about Eclipse Computers - the £50 was for a deposit, but after calling them initially and being told I could have a simple custom computer within 5 days, it's now been the best part of 3 weeks, and I'm still waiting.
Reply 22
It takes all of 10 minutes to build a computer when you have the parts infront of you (more to setup the OS ofcourse). 3 Weeks is bang out of line. Id start talking to trading standards. You have a right to be upset. 3 weeks is not "reasonable service", especially if they havent contacted you to tell you why your computer is taking so long.
Reply 23
You're right - I'm fed up! I'm currently on their phone queue - it says there is a high volume of calls, yet it also says I'm in position 1 in the queue - as soon as I get through I'm going to complain! They're subjecting me to some awful queue music!
Reply 24
It's official - Eclipse Computers are pathetic!
I was on their queue system for 15 minutes. I gave up tried again for another 15. Nothing! I rang their customer services line instead, and they told me two people were sitting behind the phone on the mail order number and they told me nobody was in the queue so I could call them and get straight through. I kept telling this guy that if the phone was free, how come I'd been left waiting 30 minutes when I was the only one in the queue? He wouldn't give me an answer - I kept telling him it didn't make any sense and his robotic response (he sounded a little embarassed) was that they can't do anything on the customer services number and I'd have to call the mail order number. I asked if I could speak to the manager, and he told me I'd have to call the mail order number and ask for the manager, and they didn't have the facilities to forward on phone calls! I really wasn't impressed, so gave up banging my head against the wall and called the mail order number, expecting to be put on hold indefinitely.

Well, hey presto - they answered me immediately! Strange hey - I think someone at customer services ran across the shop and passed
on the message to whoever was asleep behind the phone at mail order.

My order still hadn't been sent! I told them their was no excuse for it, and that I'd been told I could recieve it within 5 days, and had been promised delivery on two previous occasions that have now passed.
The guy spoke to the system builders once again, and promised it would be made high priority and would be sent tomorrow, and he's quite ("quite"! that filled me with confidence) confident it will reach me on Thursday. I told him if I don't have anything by the end of the week I'm going to ask for a refund (and that best include my £50 deposit) - he said he thought that was reasonable.
Will have to wait and see what happens. If I could turn back the clock, there's no way I'd order from Coventry's Eclipse Computers again.
Reply 25
Bad luck mate - all too familiar. Hope everything becomes good.

I wonder if some big anti-Eclipse banner could be made a sticky? Complete with links to all our horror stories about them...

There's absolutely nothing good about that load of monkeys, and maybe a boycott might make them get their arse in gear!
Reply 26
try and post a review over the net so that other customers to be would be able to find your experience.... grrrrrrrrrrrrr i just hate stores with awful customer services such as these!
Reply 27
Thanks for the replies. I should report my experiences - any advice as to where?

I've actually just recieved my order. When I initially placed it, their website messed up when I tried to order, and I had to reorder. Second time around it added these extra defaults, so I rang them up and told them I didn't want things like the voice modem, keyboard, speakers, mouse, cd-rom drive etc. and they agreed to remove these from my order. However, guess what. They didn't. They included them (even though they were crossed out on the invoice I recieved) and I've been charged for them. I don't think I can even be bothered to ring them up and tell them. :frown:
Am trying to install windows XP now. Touch wood, the machine works.
Reply 28
Eclipse are TERRIBLE...won't buy anything from them again.
I've ordered things on and off for several years, mainly as a last resort.
They're cheap...all they got going for them.
Most recently, I returned a DVDRW that was making too much noise. I sent it to them in July and was told it wouldn't take more then a month...still haven't got a replacement.
They've stopped replying to my emails too...I didn't want to ring them up because they don't try and help...
Luckily I got a replacement as soon as I sent off the other one.
I issued a complaint to them earlier today though.
Reply 29
AT82
A good PSU costs at least as much as that case if not more. For a bog standard office system I would fit a £25 FSP.

that's probably why no one has comissioned you to build them an office

i seriously doubt the psu in any office/college/school computer cost 25£

and i have never had any trouble with eclipse, and me and my bro have ordered stuff through them for 5 years now

edit: perhaps we're just lucky
Reply 30
Well I can't say I was majorly impressed when I had to bend back the metal catches to insert the mouse and keyboard, because they hadn't been fitted very well. I also had to open the case to install some hardware from my old computer, so had to careful peel off the 'warranty void if broken' stickers. Inside, they'd glued all the cables to the ports. There were very little spare sockets for my old stuff, so I had to remove the dial-up modem which I didn't want nor ask for, and had to hack away the glue with a sharp knife before I could put it out. The slots were not in a comfortable position either, so I really had to force my old graphics card to get it into place, and despite this the system would not detect the new hardware. On top of that I found if I inserted my wireless modem card into the second port, the computer would not even boot up - it only worked in the identical slot that was above it, but again the computer would not detect that hardware either. I'm no computer expert, but I thought that a bit wierd.
Asides from that, things appear to be working okay thus far. Touch wood!
Reply 31
They do sound like a bunch of monkies
Despite the bad press I always found them good, for Knowledge, Range and Prices. Customer service sometimes was not as good as it should have been. Looking at their store they have entered Administration on 11th December 2017.

Latest

Trending

Trending