The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoanneSmith16
In a similar situation. I really want to apply to imperial to study chemical engineering. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 4A's and a B. I got 4A's at AS level in biology, chemistry, maths and physics and I've dropped biology. My school are extremely strict with predicted grades and so I'll probably be predicted AAA. Is it worth me applying to imperial? If I do manage to get an A* prediction but its not in maths should I apply?

i remember when i spoke to imperial they wont even consider you without 2 A* prediction the lady was even discouraging me from applying the way she was speaking.

dont take my word for it call them yourself.
Original post by nmjasdk
nah never got accepted at imperial or applied to manchester

i firmed ucl and insured surrey.

i got ABB and surrey wouldnt event let me remark the papers before giving my place a away i guess thats a warning to everyone watch out for surreys stupid admissions tutors.

aah very strict yeah...sorry bro

so whats the plan for this year?
Oh I see, I was kind of expecting that. Thank you, I'll defo give them a call too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by precious maro
aah very strict yeah...sorry bro

so whats the plan for this year?

see what i get for the offers im just scared of aiming too high this year in case nothing comes up in clearing
Has anyone started their personal statement?
I'm applying to Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds and Loughborough or Nottingham.

I'm in a different situation to the rest of you as I shall be applying as a mature student (will be 27 by the time next year rolls around). Hope my mind will be able to keep pace with all you young whippersnappers!
Do you think I could apply to Imperial as a 5th choice for chemical engineering (with a medical personal statement) with straight A*s which I have achieved at both A-level and GCSE? Or is it highly improbable given the level of competition?
Reply 87
Original post by solarplexus
Do you think I could apply to Imperial as a 5th choice for chemical engineering (with a medical personal statement) with straight A*s which I have achieved at both A-level and GCSE? Or is it highly improbable given the level of competition?

With straight A*s at GCSE & A-Level you shouldn't have a problem with getting into medical school even if you flunk your UKCAT so you probably wouldn't need the Imperial offer.
Original post by AhmedDavid
With straight A*s at GCSE & A-Level you shouldn't have a problem with getting into medical school even if you flunk your UKCAT so you probably wouldn't need the Imperial offer.

Interviews though (partly the reason why I received all 4 rejections first time round - but offer from UCL biochem eng)
Reply 89
Interviews though (partly the reason why I received all 4 rejections first time round - but offer from UCL biochem eng)

Everyone gets better at interviews second time round and you have to try and figure out what about your interview is getting you the rejections. Most of the times its just pure luck and simply unlucky that a perfectly deserving applicant does not get an offer.
Reply 90
Have any of you guys applied to scholarships and funds? I've heard that because there are very few engineers that there is alot of money available for people getting into engineering degrees. Do you have any recommendations of where to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you would probably get in but imperial do interviews and your personal statement would be medicine based so that aspect im not sure.
Bump! I can't stalk if no one posts in a week! :biggrin:
Original post by SirCrazyjon
Bump! I can't stalk if no one posts in a week! :biggrin:

Same here lool I think most people stalking so no one posting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gap Year applicant here. I'm going for Birmingham, Bath, Aberdeen, Manchester and Loughborough. Achieved A*AB in Chem, Maths and Bio respectively with an A in AS History. Resitting a module in Biology to hopefully get my B up to at least an A.
Reply 95
Does anyone know how UCL assess their applicants for 2015 entry?
Original post by AhmedDavid
Does anyone know how UCL assess their applicants for 2015 entry?

specifically?

Original post by Sharif Chowdhury
Gap Year applicant here. I'm going for Birmingham, Bath, Aberdeen, Manchester and Loughborough. Achieved A*AB in Chem, Maths and Bio respectively with an A in AS History. Resitting a module in Biology to hopefully get my B up to at least an A.

how'd you end up on a a gap
Reply 97
Original post by nmjasdk
specifically?

how'd you end up on a a gap

Yeah, I know they require A*AA/AAA prediction

however I dont know how they rank applicants for interview / offers
I cant find it on their website.

Do they use AS-Level grades, gcse? what?
is it a point system?
or is there a cut off based on grades achieved

I hope that made the question clearer.
Hey I'm a med reapplicant and I'm wondering whether I could apply to Leeds for chemical engineering and have a good shot at gaining a place?

I have 7A* 2A at GCSE

And I have achieved a-levels of A*AAa in maths, chemistry and biology respectively with AS psychology
Original post by science-oliver
Hey I'm a med reapplicant and I'm wondering whether I could apply to Leeds for chemical engineering and have a good shot at gaining a place?

I have 7A* 2A at GCSE

And I have achieved a-levels of A*AAa in maths, chemistry and biology respectively with AS psychology

unless they want physics you'll get in im sure.

Latest