The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Blade
Wow I didn't know what I wanted to do until picking a course at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure I have much idea either but trying to narrow it down and have a think about what the hell it is I want to do with my life. What subjects did you do for a level and where are you apllying??
Reply 161
Do you need Physics (A or AS) to study chemical engineering?
Original post by azo

Not necessarily. You'll have to check entry requirements cos they're different for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azo

Nah don't think so, for most places it doesn't matter if you haven't studied Physics as far as I'm aware. However I think for UCL they do want at least AS Physics but I could be wrong. Definitely check entry requirements.
Original post by A patch
Hi
I've got an interview at Imperial on 29th too! :smile:

how long ago did you send off your application?
Reply 165
Original post by simba_n
how long ago did you send off your application?

On 6th October 😀
Hey you guys,

There is quite an interesting debate happening in the Five Reasons Why Women Are Under Represented In Engineering thread.

As new applicants it would be interesting to hear your views too :h:

Best of luck with all your applications.
guys, i'm predicted an:
A*- maths
A- chem
B- i.t.

does anyone here think i have a shot at applying and receiving offers from Manchester, Leeds & Birmingham (basically, any unis' whos' entry requirements are A*, A & A?)
Reply 168
Original post by theDanIdentity
guys, i'm predicted an:
A*- maths
A- chem
B- i.t.

does anyone here think i have a shot at applying and receiving offers from Manchester, Leeds & Birmingham (basically, any unis' whos' entry requirements are A*, A & A?)

Ring them up, I know they usually accept it but you never know....not to take any risks, ring them up
Original post by theDanIdentity
guys, i'm predicted an:
A*- maths
A- chem
B- i.t.

Yeah, ring them but I think you should be in for a chance but ring nevertheless to clarify
Original post by josephinemar25
Thanks for the help. Definetly think chemical engineering is a strong contender for me. Are you enjoying the course so far? What are you learning t the moment? :smile:

So far I've not done any ChemEng as that starts in 2nd year at Cambridge. I'm doing physics, chemistry, materials and maths (B) in 1st year NatSci and am definitely enjoying it! :biggrin: In physics we're doing dynamics (before this we did experimental physics and then statics), in chemistry we're learning about various spectroscopy techniques (currently doing NMR), in materials we're doing atomic structure of crystals and have just started x-ray diffraction, in maths we've just finished complex numbers (we did vectors before that), and we're learning how to use MATLAB in scientific computing (which is part of the maths course).
Reply 171
Original post by Claree
in materials we're doing atomic structure of crystals

doing this as well, yuck :yawn:

also matlab is aswome :tongue:
Original post by A patch
Hi,
Yes I've been invited to interview at Imperial on 29th October! Can't believe it's so early :smile:

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I have an interview for the 29th as well. What are you doing to prepare btw? Do you mind me asking yours grades?
Reply 173
Original post by rdmchill
Sorry for the extremely late reply. I have an interview for the 29th as well. What are you doing to prepare btw? Do you mind me asking yours grades?

Hi
Further Maths questions, the problems on iwanttodoengineering.com, finishing off some reading that I wanted to do and hoping for the best! It's my first interview so who knows what's going to happen! I' m studying Math, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and have been predicted A*s. How about you? What are you doing and what are your grades? Have you had any other offers? I've had Bath, Birmingham and Leeds now. 😃
Original post by A patch
Hi
Further Maths questions, the problems on iwanttodoengineering.com, finishing off some reading that I wanted to do and hoping for the best! It's my first interview so who knows what's going to happen! I' m studying Math, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and have been predicted A*s. How about you? What are you doing and what are your grades? Have you had any other offers? I've had Bath, Birmingham and Leeds now. 😃
hey all the best with your imperial interview! I only sent my application at the end of last week but am praying I'm fortunate enough to interview too!
Reply 175
Original post by arcanum96
hey all the best with your imperial interview! I only sent my application at the end of last week but am praying I'm fortunate enough to interview too!

Good luck! I'll let you know how mine goes and what to expect 😀
Original post by A patch
Good luck! I'll let you know how mine goes and what to expect

Thanks that will be great! Where else have you applied? And what subjects do you take?
Reply 177
Thanks that will be great! Where else have you applied? And what subjects do you take?

Bath, Birmingham, Leeds and Cambridge. Have three offers obviously waiting for Imperial and Cambridge. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Where have you applied? It's so nerve wracking waiting. Good luck!
Original post by A patch
Bath, Birmingham, Leeds and Cambridge. Have three offers obviously waiting for Imperial and Cambridge. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Where have you applied? It's so nerve wracking waiting. Good luck!

also Bath and Birmingham and Manchester and UCL and as you know Imperial. I took the same subjects plus I completed the EPQ last year. Tell me about it! All the best to you too!
Reply 179
also Bath and Birmingham and Manchester and UCL and as you know Imperial. I took the same subjects plus I completed the EPQ last year. Tell me about it! All the best to you too!

I got an A* in Epq too! Forgot about that one! Are you doing three or four at A level. I've kept up the four. Just having to be organised 😀