The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

University of Aberystwyth clearing

I didn't meet the grades I needed for my conditional offer.I've been offered a place at Aberystwyth to study Geography.I have no idea what its like.Can anyone paint me a picture of what the university is like?
I haven't been there, but whatuni pages can be very useful for learning information on your uni choice.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/Degree-details/Geography-BSc-Hons-course-details/54968520/5198/cdetail.html

You still have a chance to go through clearing if you don't like this option. Personally I wouldn't go there, I would go through clearing, but that's just me.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by BTLBTW
I didn't meet the grades I needed for my conditional offer.I've been offered a place at Aberystwyth to study Geography.I have no idea what its like.Can anyone paint me a picture of what the university is like?

Have you taken a look at the Aberystwyth forum?
There's quite a few current students there who will be able to help you - The Optimistic Ram has written a lot of threads about life at Aber.

For what it's worth, I think Aber would be a fantastic place to study geography in particular as it's in such a fantastic environment and they're very good at the physical side of geography due to the location on the coast.

In terms of location, it's around 3 hours from Birmingham on the train. It's a fairly small town but very nice to live in - it's kind of like the Durham or St Andrews of Wales in terms of the fact that a lot of the town revolves around the university and it's quite self contained. My brother studied at Aber and he often said that the hardest part was getting people to come to Aber - once they visit, they often fall in love. However, that depends on what you are looking for in a uni. If you're looking for a massive city then Aber isn't for you at all but that said, it has a lot of clubs/pubs/things going on. The university main campus is up a hill around 10 minutes walk from the town centre, so students often live across the town in their later years and walk up the hill to the university. Are you able to pay a visit?
Reply 3
Original post by oxymoronic
Have you taken a look at the Aberystwyth forum?
There's quite a few current students there who will be able to help you - The Optimistic Ram has written a lot of threads about life at Aber.

For what it's worth, I think Aber would be a fantastic place to study geography in particular as it's in such a fantastic environment and they're very good at the physical side of geography due to the location on the coast.

In terms of location, it's around 3 hours from Birmingham on the train. It's a fairly small town but very nice to live in - it's kind of like the Durham or St Andrews of Wales in terms of the fact that a lot of the town revolves around the university and it's quite self contained. My brother studied at Aber and he often said that the hardest part was getting people to come to Aber - once they visit, they often fall in love. However, that depends on what you are looking for in a uni. If you're looking for a massive city then Aber isn't for you at all but that said, it has a lot of clubs/pubs/things going on. The university main campus is up a hill around 10 minutes walk from the town centre, so students often live across the town in their later years and walk up the hill to the university. Are you able to pay a visit?

Yh , I'm looking into paying a visit but wanted to get a rough idea first to see if it would be worth the trip.
Original post by BTLBTW
Yh , I'm looking into paying a visit but wanted to get a rough idea first to see if it would be worth the trip.

I'd say the summary is that it depends what you're looking for - if you want a massive city then it's definitely not for you. If you want a smaller town then it's something considering. The thing about Aber unlike other places in England of a similar size is that it's actually the regional hub and people come there on a regular basis when they want to go to a "big" place for shopping or a night out. It has a high street with a lot of the high street stores you'd expect and as I said there is good nightlife and a lot going on due to the fact it's very studenty place. It also has a beautiful beach, harbour and pier.
Reply 5
Original post by BTLBTW

It might be helpful to check out the Aberystwyth university forum to see what current/recent students can tell you about the place and course.
Original post by BTLBTW

Hi BTLBTW

Welcome to the Aberystwyth Forum :smile:

Aberystwyth is an amazing place for you to study. Our geographic location is just one of the amazing reasons to study here. As well as this, the Department has an outstanding reputation with the Geography course being recently awarded in the Top 100 courses for Geography in the whole world and we are investing over £100 million in the next few years on learning and accommodation facilities.

I could go on for ages about how incredible it is to study here, however it may be worth watching some videos:
[video="youtube;kktMqrMioY0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktMqrMioY0[/video]

Also check out this video: https://bitly.com/1iItoAB It will give you a good idea about the University.

Finally, I recommend you look at our Clearing section on the website with all of these profile videos: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/ucasclearing2014/clearing-tips/ as well as offering you a great Clearing package, the Telegraph ranked us No. 1 for guaranteed accommodation for students coming via clearing.

The best thing for you to do is come and see us. We are running clearing visiting days until the 25th August. We even contribute to your mainland UK travel. See this: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/ucasclearing2014/visit/

If you have any questions just let me know :smile:

James

Quick Reply

Latest