The Student Room Group

Should I apply for an A-A-B university with AS results of B C C?

My hope was to study Computer Science at Sheffield, their offer is A-A-B (including maths)
I just got my AS results,
Maths: C
Music: B
English: B
Computing: C

I would have a very good application, lots of experience and other interests etc. Is there any point even applying? Or would that be wasting a place?
Original post by edprince
My hope was to study Computer Science at Sheffield, their offer is A-A-B (including maths)

I would have a very good application, lots of experience and other interests etc. Is there any point even applying? Or would that be wasting a place?

Go for it! remember you have 4 other choices :smile:
Reply 2
i'm doing that, i got BCD but i'm thinking my predicted grades will be AAC cos i'm resitting some exams and my teacher's can't work out how i got that grade!
Reply 3
I got BBCC at AS level, and was accepted into all of my 5 universities, which had offers of AAB or ABB. When your tutor/head of sixth form writes your reference for you, they have a chance to write expected grades, and mine put AAB/ABB, which I think got me my places. In the end I got BBB, and still got into my AAB university. If you have a chance to do an EPQ (Extended Project from AQA) I seriously recommend it, as its worth an AS level, and if you get an A, its something like 81 ucas points, which was so helpful.
Reply 4

It is possible, but depends on what grades you are predicted. This depends on what your teacher thinks you are capable of achieving. Sometimes people really up their game in 2nd year and pull their grades up, sometimes not. You get to make 5 choices on your application, and I think it's fine to use up one of these on a more ambitious course.

Do remember though that if you are offered AAB then you do actually need to get those grades to guarantee your place.

Sure, I got ABCD first year, got an AAB offer (I got 4/5 offers and 4/5 of the unis were russel group) and ended up achieving AAA
Reply 6
I'd say it would be worth it because you effectively just need to jump up one grade in each of your subjects. However if I were you I'd only apply to one or two Russel group unis and make sure you apply to some with lower entry requirements too.

Generally i think that universities don't look TOO much into AS grades because last year I achieved AACD and got an offer from Durham of AAA. But at the end of the day I realised I wasn't going to achieve AAA so I accepted my AAB offer and those are the grades I got yesterday :smile:.

So I'd say there is no harm in applying as long as you apply to some 'safer' universities too, even if you don't get the offers you'd like to there is nothing to stop you declining all your offers then really pushing for the exams and reapplying next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending