The Student Room Group

English Lit/ English Lit & History Degree -As grades?

I got 5A*, 6A, 1B in GCSE
And ABCD in As levels (English lit, Psychology, History, and Economics).
Going to get the history remarked and hopefully moved up/retake.
My A level predictions will probably be A*AA/A*AB
Which Universities should I be looking at with these grades for english lit & history combined degrees?
Also done Gold D of E & Ten tors.
Original post by emilialucy
I got 5A*, 6A, 1B in GCSE
And ABCD in As levels (English lit, Psychology, History, and Economics).
Going to get the history remarked and hopefully moved up/retake.
My A level predictions will probably be A*AA/A*AB
Which Universities should I be looking at with these grades for english lit & history combined degrees?
Also done Gold D of E & Ten tors.

Had you started looking at unis before you got your AS results? Which ones are you interested in and what grades do they want?

Realistically, do you think you can achieve A*AA/B in the summer? That's quite a big jump from ABC that you have now meaning it's only worth considering universities who want these kind of grades if you genuinely think you can get the grades in the summer.

The difficulty with English in particular is that it's incredibly common (if not to be expected) that someone applying to the top tier of universities will get a couple of rejections simply due to how competitive it is. That's not to say you won't get these grades, more that you will need support from your teachers in their reference to explain why these much higher grades are a genuine portrayal of your abilities.
Reply 2
Original post by oxymoronic
Had you started looking at unis before you got your AS results? Which ones are you interested in and what grades do they want?

Realistically, do you think you can achieve A*AA/B in the summer? That's quite a big jump from ABC that you have now meaning it's only worth considering universities who want these kind of grades if you genuinely think you can get the grades in the summer.

The difficulty with English in particular is that it's incredibly common (if not to be expected) that someone applying to the top tier of universities will get a couple of rejections simply due to how competitive it is. That's not to say you won't get these grades, more that you will need support from your teachers in their reference to explain why these much higher grades are a genuine portrayal of your abilities.

Looking at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, York, St Andrews, which all require around AAA/AAB/ABB and maybe Durham (unlikely).

I didn't work at all this year, and I'm also going to do a few retakes so I think its realistic
Original post by emilialucy
Looking at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, York, St Andrews, which all require around AAA/AAB/ABB and maybe Durham (unlikely).

I didn't work at all this year, and I'm also going to do a few retakes so I think its realistic

That sounds like a good plan and as long as both you and your teachers think it is realistic then it's certainly worth a shot :smile:

I applied to 4 out of the 6 on your list... this was back 10 years ago when the whole UCAS thing was not as crazy as now. You'd have needed ABB max for the typical offer, this shows how time has changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending