The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Physics at hull and the university in general

Hi guys I've been offered a place on the BSc physics and some questions about the course, the place and the university.

What is the quality of the teaching like at hull?

Are the staff in the physics department helpful?

What is library like?

Is it a nice campus?

What type of campus is it?

Does the city itself have lots of shops, clubs and pubs?

thanks for any help
I did the Foundation Physics last year, returning for my first year this year, so we will be on the same course. I can answer some of these questions.
Quality of teaching, was for the most part good, some departments better than others. I cannot pass comment on thw Physics and Maths department lecturers and tutors, as we were taught Physics by the Engineering department.
The Admin staff of the Physics department are top class, having been the foundation rep for the Physics course I have spent a little time in meetings with them, and most of the lecturers and tutors were very nice and well involved.
Library I think must be finished by now, it is massive, and well stocked. Has it's own cafe, and tons of space, computer facilities and rooms.
The campus is great, and has it's own bars and shops.
The city is big, and has alot of venues, and shopping centres. Everything you need is within a 5 minute walk of the campus anyway.

See you in september.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ComradeLeo
I did the Foundation Physics last year, returning for my first year this year, so we will be on the same course. I can answer some of these questions.
Quality of teaching, was for the most part good, some departments better than others. I cannot pass comment on thw Physics and Maths department lecturers and tutors, as we were taught Physics by the Engineering department.
The Admin staff of the Physics department are top class, having been the foundation rep for the Physics course I have spent a little time in meetings with them, and most of the lecturers and tutors were very nice and well involved.
Library I think must be finished by now, it is massive, and well stocked. Has it's own cafe, and tons of space, computer facilities and rooms.
The city is big, and has alot of venues, and shopping centres. Everything you need is within a 5 minute walk of the campus anyway.

See you in september.

I've been moved onto the foundation Physics course, was just wondering if the course starts earlier than the normal physics course (Sept 29th)?
Hey, I'm about to go into my third year doing physics at Hull (I started on the BSc and switched up to MPhys). So hopefully I can be some help though Leo did a good job at answering you.

The teaching is mostly good, the lecturers are helpful and enthusiastic (just wait til you have Buzza, he bounces off the walls 8D ) though some are better than others. (Good luck with Sands).

They are all really good at listening if there are any problems, there are feedback forms at the end of each set of lectures that while I've been there they've improved from. Also Jules in the office is amazing and super helpful. We had several deadlines extended and a room changed from one we were having problems with.

I don't have as much time right now but I made a huge post in the stickied 'A freshers veiw of Hull week 1-6' thread about the rest of the uni.

Also for all of you in this thread, join the physics society!!! It's awesome, we do loads of stuff both drinking and nondrinking plus it's good for making friends with other physics students.
Original post by leahcee
I've been moved onto the foundation Physics course, was just wondering if the course starts earlier than the normal physics course (Sept 29th)?

As far as I am aware all the courses start on the same date.
Reply 5
Original post by ComradeLeo

See you in september.

Is there an ALDI within walking /bus distance from uni or lawns accomodation?
Reply 6
Original post by Midnight Star
Hey, I'm about to go into my third year doing physics at Hull (I started on the BSc and switched up to MPhys). So hopefully I can be some help though Leo did a good job at answering you.

The teaching is mostly good, the lecturers are helpful and enthusiastic (just wait til you have Buzza, he bounces off the walls 8D ) though some are better than others. (Good luck with Sands).

They are all really good at listening if there are any problems, there are feedback forms at the end of each set of lectures that while I've been there they've improved from. Also Jules in the office is amazing and super helpful. We had several deadlines extended and a room changed from one we were having problems with.

I don't have as much time right now but I made a huge post in the stickied 'A freshers veiw of Hull week 1-6' thread about the rest of the uni.

Also for all of you in this thread, join the physics society!!! It's awesome, we do loads of stuff both drinking and nondrinking plus it's good for making friends with other physics students.

Is there an ALDI close by to the university?
Original post by JBrazier
Is there an ALDI within walking /bus distance from uni or lawns accomodation?

Yes...down Beverley road. You can't move for supermarkets in Hull.
Original post by JBrazier
Is there an ALDI close by to the university?

Like Leo said there is one but depending where you are other ones might be more convinient/closer. There are no shortage of little supermarkets though.

If you are in the Lawns, Needler or Thwaite halls then there's a co-op and little Sainsbury's handy. Then for shared housing there's ones all up both Newland Avenue and Beverley Road. I tend to use the Lidl at the uni end of Bev Road, which is quite good.
Original post by Midnight Star
I tend to use the Lidl at the uni end of Bev Road, which is quite good.

:biggrin: I do too, it's nice and cheap, has a good selection, as well as a in-store 'bakery'.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/uohphyssoc/

Link to the physics society facebook which is where all the events and details for the socials will be posted. There should also be a separate group for each individual year but obviously as I'm not in your year, I'm not a member of yours so I can't provide a link and don't actually know if they've been made yet.

The group's not the most exciting right now as the year hasn't started yet and obviously as nobody is there, there isn't socials through the summer and we don't have socials in the exam period for obvious reasons. But come September this is where all the events and stuff will be put up to keep you informed.

Spoiler

Also draft timetables are available (not sure if that counts for foundation year or not) but shouldn't be planned around as will likely change a bit. The finalised timetables should be out by the 22nd of September and you'll get a link to somewhere where you can view your personalised timetable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
Hi guys I've been offered a place on the BSc physics and some questions about the course, the place and the university.

What is the quality of the teaching like at hull?

Are the staff in the physics department helpful?

What is library like?

Is it a nice campus?

What type of campus is it?

Does the city itself have lots of shops, clubs and pubs?

thanks for any help

i cannot speak for the physics department or its teaching, but i did hear quite high praise from those i knew involved so thats all i can say about that.

as for the library, its fantastic, its just had a facelift costing millions and so is pretty awesome tbh.

the campus is nice, red brick university, union is nice with plenty of space, there are football pitches and grass areas, and its close to lots of local ammenities.

its a campus where the accommodation is separate to the univeristy. in your 1st year you live in halls or on cranbrook which is next to the university literally. halls you are about half an hour walk away, but there are regular buses every 10 minutes or so, so i would advise get the student bus card, last i heard it was 200 for the year, and you can use it to go into the city centre as well, so never pay for bus fare again.

the city has various shopping centres, there are pubs and shops and clubs all around the university and in the city centre such as sugar lounge, spiders, piper, old grey mare, larkins etc. you will find what works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest