The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I'd probably get it now if you can afford it, then you can start using it as soon as you get there.

Lol I just bought it now anyways. Do you use it hand in hand with your student ID?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Tai Ga
Lol I just bought it now anyways. Do you use it hand in hand with your student ID?

Yeah, it's only valid when accompanied by your ID card. They send you a little plastic wallet thing you can use to hold both of them.
Anyone in the same boat as me in which, they a) live in Manchester b) don't drink or go clubbing and therefore is not excited for freshers at all, as there seems to be nothing exciting bar the welcome freshers fair 😕 :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tarteeliax
Anyone in the same boat as me in which, they a) live in Manchester b) don't drink or go clubbing and therefore is not excited for freshers at all, as there seems to be nothing exciting bar the welcome freshers fair 😕 :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of. I drink, but I'm a one glass of wine type of person. I'm also several years older, so all the freshers events seem a bit too much for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm a Muslim so I don't drink for religious reasons and also don't go clubbing and all freshers seems to be is a "nightlight week" and I haven't heard of any day time events so it sounds like it's gonna be a dry week for me whereas everyone else is gonna be having fun "turning up" 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2445
Original post by Tai Ga
Should I buy my uni rider ticket now or wait nearer the time?

I'm going to buy mine nearer to the time once I get my maintenance loan. I'm less likely to buy the annual one as during the academic year I won't be travelling during the month off in December plus 3 weeks off for Easter.
Original post by szm95
I'm going to buy mine nearer to the time once I get my maintenance loan. I'm less likely to buy the annual one as during the academic year I won't be travelling during the month off in December plus 3 weeks off for Easter.

Buying a separate bus pass for each of the three terms would cost you £235, whereas the annual one is only £205.
Hi!i initially applied to and intended on studying the engineering foundation year at the university of manchester however was rejected assumably due to poor predicted grades. The entry requirements were ABB for those who didn't study relevant subjects ( i did Biology, Psychology and Philosophy) but i only managed to get BCC although i was literally 2 raw marks off an overall A in one of my Alevels. I am now going to be starting the engineering foundation year in portsmouth which is pretty far bearing in mind i live in leeds. Both uni's foundation year are very similar as they include very similar modules in all the required subjects essential for a transition into year 1 of petroleum engineering which is what i would like to study. Ultimately, what I'm asking is, how likely am i to be able to transfer onto year 1 petroleum engineering at manchester after my foundation year at portsmouth? and would they take the fact that my alevels weren't up to par into account or brush past it since i will have done a foundation year? also, would i be looking to apply through UCAS immediately or once i receive my first set of results? note that iv already emailed them however am waiting on a response, i decided to email first since the uni have a tendency to shut me down over the phone regarding anything!i would really appreciate the help/advice/guidance!earn some good karma!
Original post by Fernando sucre
Hi!i initially applied to and intended on studying the engineering foundation year at the university of manchester however was rejected assumably due to poor predicted grades. The entry requirements were ABB for those who didn't study relevant subjects ( i did Biology, Psychology and Philosophy) but i only managed to get BCC although i was literally 2 raw marks off an overall A in one of my Alevels. I am now going to be starting the engineering foundation year in portsmouth which is pretty far bearing in mind i live in leeds. Both uni's foundation year are very similar as they include very similar modules in all the required subjects essential for a transition into year 1 of petroleum engineering which is what i would like to study. Ultimately, what I'm asking is, how likely am i to be able to transfer onto year 1 petroleum engineering at manchester after my foundation year at portsmouth? and would they take the fact that my alevels weren't up to par into account or brush past it since i will have done a foundation year? also, would i be looking to apply through UCAS immediately or once i receive my first set of results? note that iv already emailed them however am waiting on a response, i decided to email first since the uni have a tendency to shut me down over the phone regarding anything!i would really appreciate the help/advice/guidance!earn some good karma!

The only way of knowing for sure is to wait for a response from Manchester's Petroleum Engineering department. I have a vague recollection of being told that Manchester doesn't accept people transferring from foundation years at other universities, but I might be wrong.

The UCAS deadline for 2016 is the 15th of January, which probably doesn't give you enough time to wait for your Semester 1 results so you'd need to apply before then.
Is there any point in getting unirider since I'll be living in Hulme hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do we get our timetables?
Original post by johnh545

I thought we got them once we got there. I saw some people on Facebook trying to register, but it wouldn't work for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Is there any point in getting unirider since I'll be living in Hulme hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't necessarily need one for getting to uni so it depends if you think you'll use it at other times, it lets you go all over Manchester.

It depends on your department but I've always received mine during Welcome Week.
Hey I just completed registration but does anyone know when we have to enrol in classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I enquirer about that a few days ago at the school of law department and she said that as long as you have a timetable it should be fine because in law for me personally the first year modules are compulsory and you don't have a say, but for me it's apparently done because I have a fully operational timetable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2455
I'm Muslim too and I'm not into the drinking/clubbing scene. It's recommended to join societies during welcome week, they have ice breaker events such as going to dinner etc.
Reply 2456
Original post by Shantellea
Hey I just completed registration but does anyone know when we have to enrol in classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe we enrol in classes during welcome week as that's when we can choose our course units(depends on the course you do). My course is sociology in which I have 3 mandatory units whereas the rest are optional.
Original post by tarteeliax
Well I'm a Muslim so I don't drink for religious reasons and also don't go clubbing and all freshers seems to be is a "nightlight week" and I haven't heard of any day time events so it sounds like it's gonna be a dry week for me whereas everyone else is gonna be having fun "turning up" 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's actually quite alot going on during freshers week that doesn't involve drinking you should have got a guide through the post but the same things available online here http://issuu.com/universitymanchester/docs/welcome.whats.on.guide.2015.single/13?e=0/14600099
It has a summary of whats on during the day everyday.
There's also a living at home society so you can meet other people staying at home, they're running a residental next week for one night at one of the halls so you can meet people before freshers week.
http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/top-navigation/student-activities/halls-or-home/living-at-home-students/living-at-home-residential
and they have a facebook page so you can talk to other people who arn't moving into halls. :smile:
anyone doing physics,
I just registered and at the end it comes up with a timetable of lectures and there is an option to enroll in classes. Do we need to enroll in anything or are we already on the things we need?
anyone doing physics,
I just registered and at the end it comes up with a timetable of lectures and there is an option to enroll in classes. Do we need to enroll in anything or are we already on the things we need?

I might be wrong but I don't think the first year of Physics has any optional units. The option to enrol in classes is always there, regardless of whether you actually need to use it or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending