The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coffeetime
Which is your favourite?

Torn between Birmingham and Manchester, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Got a conditional offer for Mechanical Engineering with Management (MEng)!
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Torn between Birmingham and Manchester, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick and Manchester. I just got an email from Manchester that got me all excited for a second. But it was just saying my application was being looked at. Which i know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
Warwick and Manchester. I just got an email from Manchester that got me all excited for a second. But it was just saying my application was being looked at. Which i know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay fair enough, I hate getting those emails! Let me know if you get an offer though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I applied for Law with Criminology on the 13th of October. By when do you think they'll get back with a reply? I'm an international student!
Hey guys, I applied for Law on the 13th of October to. By when do you think they'll get back with a reply? I'm an international student!
I applied for Zoology with Industrial Experience and got invited to an interview!! Has anyone had any interviews yet? How did they go/what were they like? I'm so nervous!
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Ahh okay fair enough, I hate getting those emails! Let me know if you get an offer though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 408
Original post by HollyW43
Hi! I got an interview for neuroscience from Manchester too! I'm not applying for medicine, I think they like to interview most people so I shouldn't think there's a problem with your application :smile:

:biggrin: so nice to hear it (btw, good luck!)
Applying for Computer Science at Manchester.
4A* 5A 1B at GCSE.

AAABC (Polish, Mathematics, ICT, Biology, Physics respectively.) at AS.

A*A*A predicted in ICT, Maths and Biology.

Do I stand a chance?
Original post by borysek01
4A* 5A 1B at GCSE.

Do I stand a chance?

You're well above the required grades. I'm sure you'll get an offer.
Original post by borysek01
4A* 5A 1B at GCSE.

Do I stand a chance?

Your predictions are above the entry requirements so I'd assume so! Good luck :smile:
I got an offer for CS bdw. I started this thread and forgot to put it here haha. Anyways, I'm firming it.
hey guys, I've just started studying chemistry at the university of Manchester this September, I'm having a great time so far. If you have any questions you'd like to ask me, especially about chemistry, I'd be happy to answer them.
Original post by jonzza_81
hey guys, I've just started studying chemistry at the university of Manchester this September, I'm having a great time so far. If you have any questions you'd like to ask me, especially about chemistry, I'd be happy to answer them.

Do you have any advice for interviews? I know it differs from department to department but I have one for Zoology and I'm incredibly nervous! Thanks for the help.
Original post by jonzza_81

When should I start looking for accommodation? I know it is guaranteed for first year students, but I would like to live in the center in my first year and I guess those places are being filled quickly. Thanks :smile:
Original post by halamadrid777
I got an offer for CS bdw. I started this thread and forgot to put it here haha. Anyways, I'm firming it.

What university and what are your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kayleighls
Do you have any advice for interviews? I know it differs from department to department but I have one for Zoology and I'm incredibly nervous! Thanks for the help.

As you say, it is different for each department, but for most of them it is the case that if they have invited you for an interview they intend to make you an offer - it would be very hard to say or do something that would result in them not making you an offer, so there's no need to be nervous :h:.
My number one tip would be have in your mind two or three subject areas you are confident on and like and do a bit of reading about them; it could well be the case that the interviewer will ask you something like "what have you done recently at college?". In my first interview they asked me that, I couldn't think of anything so just said "amines", whist thinking to myself "why did I say that? I hate amines".
A tip someone else gave me was if it's going really badly try to get your interviewer talking about their research, if you get them started most of them won't stop talking until time for the interview is up.
Oh, and don't be afraid of making yourself look like a know-it-all, this is the time to show off.

Original post by SiminaM
When should I start looking for accommodation? I know it is guaranteed for first year students, but I would like to live in the center in my first year and I guess those places are being filled quickly. Thanks :smile:

Accommodation is allocated first come first serve, so the sooner you apply the more likely you are to get the accommodation you want. Obviously you don't need to start applying right away, but if you apply for accommodation within a couple of months of getting your offer (and you're sure Manchester is your first choice), then you will be well ahead of everyone else, and be much more likely to end up where you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thats my problem. Manchester is not my first choice but I haven't got offers from any other unis yet. I thought of applying and give up if I get a better offer... Can I do that? I really want to get a good place for my first year since it will be hard enough being a thousand miles away from home.
Original post by SiminaM
Thats my problem. Manchester is not my first choice but I haven't got offers from any other unis yet. I thought of applying and give up if I get a better offer... Can I do that? I really want to get a good place for my first year since it will be hard enough being a thousand miles away from home.

Most people won't have even sent off their UCAS applications yet, the deadline is 15 January, you really don't need to worry about accommodation until well after Christmas. You probably haven't heard from most of your universities yet because you've applied so early, and they'll send off the offers in a few big batches once they're had more applicants.

Latest

Trending

Trending