The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaska
Hey,
As some one who has been there, where would you recommend staying for the first year? I'm torn between the fallowfield and city campus!

Have you read the accommodation FAQ? It's stickied on the UoM forum, or you can find it in my signature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by GentlemanBastard
Yeah bro, what do u look like cos I might remember u

do you remember seeing a black guy, with a ridiculous navy blue scarf on top of a dark grey jacket, white shirt, polka black/white tie and black trousers..?
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you read the accommodation FAQ? It's stickied on the UoM forum, or you can find it in my signature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I read through, it was really informative and I thank you for taking the time to provide such information. However there wasn't much on Denmark Road or Victoria halls which are my preferred options :L
Applied for my accommodation! Anyone else doing physical science foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1744
Original post by theDanIdentity
question (this is for everyone)

for Manchester, in comparison to univerisites in America, how is the party life and night life? does anyone know?

America's night life is quite different, i'd say its crazier. Since they cant go pubbing cuz of drinking, their uni parties tend to be really wild. I'd love wild uni parties. As well the girls and guys there tend to go crazy, not caring about education, thats why the big party schools are not harvard MIT etc.. as well in many states it gets quite warm and thats when u have parties where guys are topless and girls in bikinis etc. you also get halloween parties in US which are wild. But the good thing about UK is you'd meet people outside uni more often. And dont forget frats in the US etc..
Reply 1745
Original post by tashalouiise_
Just had to email admissions to ask if there's any consideration for lower grades due to having to teach myself sociology because my teacher has been off for 3 months and we had no cover!

Seriously, I will hit the roof if I don't get my A in sociology, my sixth form is trying to ruin me I swear :cry2:

Try covering the material by yourself as much as you can and you'll hopefully get in! Good luck
Original post by OmarZ
America's night life is quite different, i'd say its crazier. Since they cant go pubbing cuz of drinking, their uni parties tend to be really wild. I'd love wild uni parties. As well the girls and guys there tend to go crazy, not caring about education, thats why the big party schools are not harvard MIT etc.. as well in many states it gets quite warm and thats when u have parties where guys are topless and girls in bikinis etc. you also get halloween parties in US which are wild. But the good thing about UK is you'd meet people outside uni more often. And dont forget frats in the US etc..

'But the good thing about UK is you'd meet people outside uni more often' .. this seems interesting; my good friend, could you possibly enlighten me on your viewpoint of such a statement..?

also, i would Love wild uni parties as well:frown: it seems like they get to have all the fun... i know what you going to say, 'why not move there if you like it so much?' well, thing is, i would've moved there, but.. the price for uni in america is Just. Too. Damn. High. for a broke a-level student like me..
Original post by theDanIdentity
do you remember seeing a black guy, with a ridiculous navy blue scarf on top of a dark grey jacket, white shirt, polka black/white tie and black trousers..?

Did u have an afro? I remember some black guys but i forgot what they were wearing. I was the tall black guy with curly hair and timberlands on.
Anybody going to the accommodation Open house next Sunday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGemini

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't decide because being from the Cotswolds it's quite an expensive journey! Do you think it'd be worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OmarZ

Woah hang on where are you getting those ideas from? If you're just basing it on movies, then you must know that movies are fake. I have good friends in American universities of all standards and they're a far cry from what you see in films. They wouldn't put themselves in that much debt if they didn't care about their education. Just the same way as I know people in UK universities that are out partying every other day. For the person wondering between USA and UK universities, it all depends on the standard of uni, course and your future aims that should be your criteria, you'll have plenty of fun and partying wherever you go if that's what you're in to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1751
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Woah hang on where are you getting those ideas from? If you're just basing it on movies, then you must know that movies are fake. I have good friends in American universities of all standards and they're a far cry from what you see in films. They wouldn't put themselves in that much debt if they didn't care about their education. Just the same way as I know people in UK universities that are out partying every other day. For the person wondering between USA and UK universities, it all depends on the standard of uni, course and your future aims that should be your criteria, you'll have plenty of fun and partying wherever you go if that's what you're in to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, depends on the university itself. As well like you said if you want to do well and educate yourself. My sources are from friends I know, from Penn state university and Texas A and M.
Offer in Psychology :smile: (on 04/12/14)
Provided the pharm interview format is still the same as last year ,you'll be alright!
It's a 1:1 ,there are a few assessments if I remember correctly .
Nothing to worry about ,just be your best self!
(Gap year , re-applicant to manchester after going for the wrong institution last year,offer without interview this year)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I think I will be fine. I know there is a calculations test and interview not sure about any other assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mememememe! Have you already applied for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 😄
Original post by OmarZ
Try covering the material by yourself as much as you can and you'll hopefully get in! Good luck

I am doing :smile: taught myself the majority of U3 and got 2 marks off an A in my mock so I guess it's not too bad, it's just U4 is absolutely huge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emily0211
I can't decide because being from the Cotswolds it's quite an expensive journey! Do you think it'd be worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eerrm,It's up to you i guess .
My house is 1hr 15ins away from Manchester :smile: (I really didn't help did I :| )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emily0211

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only worth it if you're really worried about accommodation and have a desperate need to see it. Do bear in mind that there will be nothing on show on Sunday that isn't accommodation - this isn't like a normal open day. Tbh I think people get far too worried about accommodation in general - it's only for 7 months, and I can assure you that the memories you make will be about the people you live with, not the fabric of the building you live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending