The Student Room Group

First ever job interview tomorrow..any tips??

Hey guys :smile:

Tomorrow I'm going in for my first ever interview! It's at Staples for a customer assistant role and I'm pretty nervous.

I'm aware that there a number of other applicants so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to help me stand out?

I would also love some general tips such as what to wear, what kind of questions to expect and any advice on how to answer the questions!

Thanks guys - I REALLY appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 1
It's natural to be nervous, especially if it's your first ever interview. Interviewers will be aware of this. Do some background research of the company, find out more about your specific role and the company's values as a whole. They may ask some competency questions so be prepared to answer questions based on your communication skill, team-work, adaptability etc. Knowing examples to use for these questions beforehand would be very advantageous. The best way to answer these would be to base them from past experiences of work, school life, education, or extra-curricular activities. They may also ask you what you hope to do in the future and your hobbies etc. Show them you have direction in your life.

Dress smartly. You can never be overdressed for an interview and you don't want to risk under-dressing. This is the first impression the interviewer will have of you and first impressions count!

Give them a good firm handshake. This is more important than people think. It will give an impression of tenacity and determination.

Body language is important too - don't cross your arms or legs, keep them to your side and sit up straight.

Ask them questions about the company when they inevitably ask you at the end of your interview.

This is probably a bit much for a part time retail job but it's good preparation and experience for the future when you're applying for more senior jobs. Good luck with your interview, let me know how you get on. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kre
It's natural to be nervous, especially if it's your first ever interview. Interviewers will be aware of this. Do some background research of the company, find out more about your specific role and the company's values as a whole. They may ask some competency questions so be prepared to answer questions based on your communication skill, team-work, adaptability etc. Knowing examples to use for these questions beforehand would be very advantageous. The best way to answer these would be to base them from past experiences of work, school life, education, or extra-curricular activities. They may also ask you what you hope to do in the future and your hobbies etc. Show them you have direction in your life.

Dress smartly. You can never be overdressed for an interview and you don't want to risk under-dressing. This is the first impression the interviewer will have of you and first impressions count!

Give them a good firm handshake. This is more important than people think. It will give an impression of tenacity and determination.

Body language is important too - don't cross your arms or legs, keep them to your side and sit up straight.

Ask them questions about the company when they inevitably ask you at the end of your interview.

This is probably a bit much for a part time retail job but it's good preparation and experience for the future when you're applying for more senior jobs. Good luck with your interview, let me know how you get on. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much!
Will do :smile:
Be prepared with questions to ask, so that it doesn't get awkward at the end...urm eye contact and posture are both pretty important, make sure you appear confident when you go in, even if you don't feel it
Original post by meganmolly
Hey guys :smile:

Tomorrow I'm going in for my first ever interview! It's at Staples for a customer assistant role and I'm pretty nervous.

I'm aware that there a number of other applicants so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to help me stand out?

I would also love some general tips such as what to wear, what kind of questions to expect and any advice on how to answer the questions!

Thanks guys - I REALLY appreciate it :biggrin:

Make sure you have a bank of answers to 'competency questions' prepared in advance. Lame interview technique in my opinion but it is pretty much the only style interviewers use these days, particularly for customer service/retail roles and entry level roles. They usually start with 'Can you give me an example of a time when.....'

I am almost 100% certain they will ask you these questions:

1. Why do you want to work here? Read the website and make sure you refer to the company (i.e. I read that you got [stick award name here] and I want to work for a recognised company and I am interested in blah blah blah whatever the job description says) and don't just give a generic answer or make it all about you.
2. Tell us a bit about yourself. Obviously don't refer to your hobbies or personal life. Say you're in education and interested in a career in [insert sector].
3. (Given it is customer service) Tell me about a time you have dealt with a difficult customer. (If you've not had a job before you will have to say that and explain when you have dealt with a difficult person who may have been being unreasonable but you were supremely reasonable and settled the situation. )
4. Tell me about a time when you have provided excellent customer service. (Again without a job this is harder but just have to say when you have gone out of your way to help someone, perhaps you did some work for a club/group or helped a neighbour?)

They also ALWAYS ask if you have any questions and you always have to ask questions otherwise you may as well not have bothered coming. You need to at least pretend to be interested in the role enough to ask questions. (I can give you some help with this if you like)

They are also likely to ask: what strengths can you bring to the role? (also they might ask you if you have any weaknesses, so do prepare one weakness at least but I really think only dicks ask this question because it's just a stupid interview trick and it would honestly be a red flag for me working for a manager that moronic haha so hopefully they won't ask it).

When dealing with the competency questions always start by briefly describing the scenario, then describe your input and then the end result (which HAS to be positive). It's just like telling a very small story. Is this your first job or just your first job interview? You will have to prepare some questions based on your education instead like..working on group projects etc, or examples from clubs/groups you are in.

Also be ten minutes early, some interviewers are just anal about this for some reason. Others don't care. But it gives a good impression either way...oh and flick through their rubbish literature in the lobby while you wait if that's possible so you look super keen.

Smile when you meet them. A poster above mentioned handshakes... In my experience it's been less important but I think that's because I'm a woman and it's still not a rigid social demand for girls, but it does no harm to offer your hand. It might make you look more mature as they will possibly be interviewing a lot of people who haven't been in the professional world and it might help make you look a bit more "switched on" as they like to call it in HR.

Lastly, there are a lot of things which are simply out of your control, the competency questions are actually supposed to reduce personal bias but I do think people just tend to hire based on a feeling/hunch that they get that they will fit in and do well. So don't take it personally if you don't get the job, you might not have been able to do anything to please them. Just don't do anything absolutely stupid like turn up late otherwise you'll be kicking yourself a bit. (Although I have actually been offered a job after turning up late once haha)
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't screw up.
Reply 6
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Make sure you have a bank of answers to 'competency questions' prepared in advance. Lame interview technique in my opinion but it is pretty much the only style interviewers use these days, particularly for customer service/retail roles and entry level roles. They usually start with 'Can you give me an example of a time when.....'

I am almost 100% certain they will ask you these questions:

1. Why do you want to work here? Read the website and make sure you refer to the company (i.e. I read that you got [stick award name here] and I want to work for a recognised company and I am interested in blah blah blah whatever the job description says) and don't just give a generic answer or make it all about you.
2. Tell us a bit about yourself. Obviously don't refer to your hobbies or personal life. Say you're in education and interested in a career in [insert sector].
3. (Given it is customer service) Tell me about a time you have dealt with a difficult customer. (If you've not had a job before you will have to say that and explain when you have dealt with a difficult person who may have been being unreasonable but you were supremely reasonable and settled the situation. )
4. Tell me about a time when you have provided excellent customer service. (Again without a job this is harder but just have to say when you have gone out of your way to help someone, perhaps you did some work for a club/group or helped a neighbour?)

They also ALWAYS ask if you have any questions and you always have to ask questions otherwise you may as well not have bothered coming. You need to at least pretend to be interested in the role enough to ask questions. (I can give you some help with this if you like)

They are also likely to ask: what strengths can you bring to the role? (also they might ask you if you have any weaknesses, so do prepare one weakness at least but I really think only dicks ask this question because it's just a stupid interview trick and it would honestly be a red flag for me working for a manager that moronic haha so hopefully they won't ask it).

When dealing with the competency questions always start by briefly describing the scenario, then describe your input and then the end result (which HAS to be positive). It's just like telling a very small story. Is this your first job or just your first job interview? You will have to prepare some questions based on your education instead like..working on group projects etc, or examples from clubs/groups you are in.

Also be ten minutes early, some interviewers are just anal about this for some reason. Others don't care. But it gives a good impression either way...oh and flick through their rubbish literature in the lobby while you wait if that's possible so you look super keen.

Smile when you meet them. A poster above mentioned handshakes... In my experience it's been less important but I think that's because I'm a woman and it's still not a rigid social demand for girls, but it does no harm to offer your hand. It might make you look more mature as they will possibly be interviewing a lot of people who haven't been in the professional world and it might help make you look a bit more "switched on" as they like to call it in HR.

Lastly, there are a lot of things which are simply out of your control, the competency questions are actually supposed to reduce personal bias but I do think people just tend to hire based on a feeling/hunch that they get that they will fit in and do well. So don't take it personally if you don't get the job, you might not have been able to do anything to please them. Just don't do anything absolutely stupid like turn up late otherwise you'll be kicking yourself a bit. (Although I have actually been offered a job after turning up late once haha)

This was really helpful, I really appreciate it :smile:

Yes - this is my first job / interview!

Could you recommend any questions I should I ask? Maybe I could ask a question like what kind of training I recieve?

Also could you recommend any weaknesses I should say I have if they do ask?

Thanks so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by lilacunicorn
Don't screw up.

Note taken ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending