The Student Room Group

How difficult is the maths in an Accounting and Finance degree?

I didn't study Maths for AS only studied it up to GCSE where I achieved an A grade in it.
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA
AS: AAB (History, R.S & English Lit).

I have been interested in studying accounting at university however I am concerned about the maths involved. Has anyone studied Accounting in Uni without having studied it at A Levsl? Is the maths in the Accounting degree really that difficult?
Not all AC modules have a maths element, the vast majority don't. Depending on the papers covered there will be typically business maths & stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MahmoodReza
Not all AC modules have a maths element, the vast majority don't. Depending on the papers covered there will be typically business maths & stats

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, so an A at GCSE is sufficient? I won't struggle without having done A Level maths?
I'd be very surprised if you struggle with your first year a/c modules if you haven'e done beyond GCSE maths (with an A grade). I base this on having taught at undergraduate level, as well as current professional exams (and employing accountants).
Original post by MahmoodReza
I'd be very surprised if you struggle with your first year a/c modules if you haven'e done beyond GCSE maths (with an A grade). I base this on having taught at undergraduate level, as well as current professional exams (and employing accountants).

Are you an Accountant?
One of my professions is being an accountant - please have a look at my profile
Reply 6
You need A Level Maths man.

What if you have to deal with some Statistical Distribution?
You'll have to apply it, not derive or explain it. The majority of undergraduate & professional AC students that I have taught over the years don't have a level maths. Obviously different uni degree courses vary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'll be very very surprised if any uni takes you on for Accounting and Finance without A level maths.

GCSE Maths does not really show decent competency in maths. Heck you don't even deal with logs in GCSE Maths.
Reply 9
Your A Levels are good for Law though. Ever considered that option if the Accounting and Finance one doesn't go through?
Reply 10
Stats at GCSE Maths is a joke. OP you NEED A Level Maths, preferably doing S1 and S2 modules.
Reply 11
Original post by godd
Stats at GCSE Maths is a joke. OP you NEED A Level Maths, preferably doing S1 and S2 modules.

The stats at A-Level is also a joke.
Reply 12
Original post by Noble.
The stats at A-Level is also a joke.

Relatively.

But it's a heck of a lot better than the GCSE crap.
Original post by godd
Relatively.

But it's a heck of a lot better than the GCSE crap.

Troll, leave. I've talked to a lot of people who are managing fine with their Accounting degree without A Level maths.
Reply 14
Original post by cookieesxo
Troll, leave. I've talked to a lot of people who are managing fine with their Accounting degree without A Level maths.

Wow.

You're calling me a ****ing troll.

I gave you good advise. If you want to screwed over by some statistical distribution, be my guest.

Did you know VAR in finance is based on the normal distribution, oh wait, never mind, you don't know what a normal distribution is. No point is working out the confidence levels then.
Reply 15
I have a ****ing Msc in Finance and Econometrics.

You may get through 1st year with GCSE Maths, but after that, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Variance? Covariance? Ever heard of that? Mean Variance Theory in Finance needs those concepts.

Jheez.
Reply 16
What you are doing is suicidal if you degree involves Finance.

And god forbid if you ever do Financial Econometrics, you will cry then.
Reply 17
Black Scholes Formula in Finance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black%E2%80%93Scholes_model

You'll need for pricing Options. Looks a bit more advanced than GCSE Maths. Hmmmmmmm
The Black Scholes model is relevant if you are doing (advanced) financial management - equivalent to a high level professional accounting option paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending