The Student Room Group

Masters in Public Health

Hi,

I am very interested in applying for graduate degree in Public Health however my undergraduate degree is in Mathematics. Does anyone have any guidance/advice about whether it is realistic for me to apply with this undergraduate degree?

Also wondering which are the best uni's to apply to as I can't find much guidance online?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
For the UK, LSHTM, UCL, Edinburgh, Oxbridge, York, Sheffield, Birmingham and maybe Warwick
BSc Mathematics is actually a relevant degree for MPH. There are quant courses such as disease spread simulation or health costs forecasts using statistical modelling. I think York has a quant focus in its syllabus and health policy analysis. With your skillset, you may even stand out from your class mates.

Maybe it would be helpful to reach out to MPH professionals in public and private sector jobs and learn more about studies and career paths. Tuition varies, good luck.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks I will definitely look into those suggestions then.

Do you know anything i could do e.g. Work experience that might boost my application?

Also is Imperial a good place to study MPH?
Reply 3
I am not familiar with ICL MPH, so I will refrain from making a statement. Most pple would LSHTM as the best MPH programme and alumni show student satisfaction. With the aforementioned MPH, each has strength in certain areas. You need to define yr areas of acad/prof interest and find a good MPH fit.

Great idea. Definitely try to get a Public Health related internship or even take 1-2 yrs out and work full time. Adcoms want to see some related work to support yr motivation, particularly from converts like you (maths major). The obvious organisations: NHS, local government/GP, PH think tanks, health related publications, big pharma, management consultancies or even health non profits. Outside the UK, you can intern/work for IO such as WHO or NGO. It will strengthen your CV, application and give you a clear idea of MPH. A MPH is a huge investment in terms of time and tuition.

I am pretty sure the NHS offers work experience. You can always ask MPH programme director about career destination of grads or hiring firms.
Hi XmusicX,

I am in a similar situation, my undergrad was in dentistry i have applied to do MSc PH at Queen Marys and LSHTM. I looked at the course at imperial, it is very heavily maths oreintated(hence would suit you) also i think it is only offered as a full time course (the other two offer it on a fulltime or part time basis). The Imperial course is highly rated though, as you have an undergrad in maths, one you should consider.
Does anyone have any experrience of a MSc at with Queen Mary's or LSHTM?
Hi XmusicX,

I am in a similar situation, my undergrad was in dentistry i have applied to do MSc PH at Queen Marys and LSHTM. I looked at the course at imperial, it is very heavily maths oreintated(hence would suit you) also i think it is only offered as a full time course (the other two offer it on a fulltime or part time basis). The Imperial course is highly rated though, as you have an undergrad in maths, one you should consider.
Does anyone have any experrience of a MSc at with Queen Mary's or LSHTM?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending