The Student Room Group

Can I change course at University?

Hello, I chose to do Psychology at Hertfordshire (Unconditional offer) but I didn't do Psychology at A-level and I don't think I'd enjoy it. I've researched it thoroughly but I just can't see any career paths that will entice me. But I am looking to give it a chance.
However, If I don't like it I wanted to do a different course - Law. Is it possible to take a year out and come back and do Law (talk to admissions to confirm place next year) or do I have to reapply through UCAS and meet the grade requirements (I got a BCD) - I reckon thats not good enough so do I have to go back and re-do 6th form A2 exams? Or can I do a foundation year for Law and start a proper law degree the next year? I know this is a lot of questions to answer and I would be eternally grateful if you could help!!!!!
Original post by IneedHelpPlz
Hello, I chose to do Psychology at Hertfordshire (Unconditional offer) but I didn't do Psychology at A-level and I don't think I'd enjoy it. I've researched it thoroughly but I just can't see any career paths that will entice me. But I am looking to give it a chance.
However, If I don't like it I wanted to do a different course - Law. Is it possible to take a year out and come back and do Law (talk to admissions to confirm place next year) or do I have to reapply through UCAS and meet the grade requirements (I got a BCD) - I reckon thats not good enough so do I have to go back and re-do 6th form A2 exams? Or can I do a foundation year for Law and start a proper law degree the next year? I know this is a lot of questions to answer and I would be eternally grateful if you could help!!!!!

1. Don't take up a course with the intention of changing it. It's really risky. What if you can't change? You have used up a year of finance and been unhappy into the bargain.
2. If you do do this, you can ask to transfer within the same university but universities are very unhappy about backdoor entry to a popular course. You would be expected to meet the requirements.
3.You could apply to another university via Ucas, including one for a foundation course, but be careful that it's LLB if you plan on being a lawyer afterwards. Your chances with those grades at the moment are slim.
4. Resitting seems to be the most sensible option out of those options.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
1. Don't take up a course with the intention of changing it. It's really risky. What if you can't change? You have used up a year of finance and been unhappy into the bargain.
2. If you do do this, you can ask to transfer within the same university but universities are very unhappy about backdoor entry to a popular course. You would be expected to meet the requirements.
3.You could apply to another university via Ucas, including one for a foundation course, but be careful that it's LLB if you plan on being a lawyer afterwards. Your chances with those grades at the moment are slim.
4. Resitting seems to be the most sensible option out of those options.

Thanks alot for your help! One quick question.. is Psychology one of the more popular choices you've seen at TSR?
Thanks alot for your help! One quick question.. is Psychology one of the more popular choices you've seen at TSR?

Psychology is an extremely popular course
I wanted to ask once you add an offer through clearing, can you later reject it or is it final as in you have to go there as i am having second thoughts about queen mary to do computer science. I managed to get a verbal offer through clearing and added it to track

Yes, and at my own school, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending