The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Official Durham Fresher's Thread 2014

Hello soon-to-be Durhamites! :hi:

Firstly, a huge congratulations to everyone for successfully getting into what is undoubtedly one of the greatest universities in the entire country!! :party: You've all clearly earned fantastically awesome results! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Reiss, and I shall be studying Psychology at St. John's this coming October! I'm super excited about starting, as I'm sure many of you are! :smile: And this thread will allow all of us new students to fully discuss all the excitement and hype that comes with starting university for the first time! :yep:

For many, this is the first time living independently / away from home; so can be quite a terrifying prospect :sadnod: Hopefully, we can all support each other on this thread, and help in discussing (and answering!) the many questions, queries, arrangements and issues that a fresher has to deal with! :tongue:

This thread can also help in meeting the other students who you'll soon be living with in October :smile: And you may even end up making some new friends in the process! :beer: Oh, and this is of course the official thread for fresher's week as well! So please do post how you're finding your fresher's experience and everything! I've got no doubt it's gonna be awesome :cool:

So yeah, feel free to say everything you can't wait for, and of course, everything you're absolutely dreading as well! :lol: Oh, and don't forget to tell us your subject and college as well! See you all in October!! :thumbsup:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Physics at St John's here :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
Physics at St John's here :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! Another Johnian! :five:
Combined Honours in Arts at University College!

Thanks for making this thread, by the way!
Reply 4
Original post by sneakysquirrel
Combined Honours in Arts at University College!

Thanks for making this thread, by the way!

Haha! No problem :biggrin: And congrats on getting in! (Especially as Castle is ridiculously competitive!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

Hello I'm in Snow although i won't be living in.
I'm studying Pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by An9ela

I'm studying Pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! I was originally going to apply to Snow when I thought I was applying for Applied Psychology at Queens :yep: (before changing my mind and applying for straight Psych at Durham City)

Oh btw, St. John's and John Snow are actually 2 different colleges :eek:
Reply 7
Hi i'm studying Accounting and Finance with foundation at John Snow :smile:
Original post by An9ela

I'm studying Pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile

fellow pharmacist finally :u:
Reply 9
Accounting and Finance with the business placement! (not sure which college yet but I'm guessing it will be Stephenson) :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Mwansy
Accounting and Finance with the business placement! (not sure which college yet but I'm guessing it will be Stephenson) :biggrin:

I'm on the same course aswell! :smile: ..I'm also staying at stephenson
Reply 11
Original post by Dilzz
I'm on the same course aswell! :smile: ..I'm also staying at stephenson

Woo the same course :cool: haha, when are you planning on moving in and stuff!?
Reply 12
Original post by Mwansy
Woo the same course :cool: haha, when are you planning on moving in and stuff!?

I'm not sure yet...I am still waiting for the email/letter from durham/stephenson.

Btw have you sent the AS12 form off?
I'm studying Sociology with St. Cuthbert's. Super excited to start :biggrin:
Sociology at Mary's!
Hi there! :biggrin: I'll be studying Psychology at Hild Bede!

Any fellow non-UK students here?
Reply 16
Original post by Dilzz
I'm not sure yet...I am still waiting for the email/letter from durham/stephenson.

Btw have you sent the AS12 form off?

Yeah same here. And yes I did that yesterday but I'm still waiting for Durham to reply to tell me what to do next! Getting super excited to meet all the other freshers :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 17
hey, I'll be studying modern languages at Butler :biggrin: feel so lucky to be going to Durham so soon!
Reply 18
Hey :smile:

Studying Physics at Josephine Butler.

I don't know about anyone else, but so far I've only got an automated response from Durham after emailing the AS12 thing, but I found more information on their website.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/welcome/

From that page you can look at the events your college and academic dept have got planned for Freshers week.

If you haven't seen that page before, hope it helps :smile: :smile:
Reply 19
Hi. Just wondering if anyone here missed their offer and still got a place? I met my offer but one of my modules is really low and my teacher is really keen to get it remarked. I'm terrified that if it went down (a lot) and my grade changed, I'd lose my place. This was for Philosophy. How lenient do you think they are this year?

Quick Reply

Latest