The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

grocery shopping at bargain prices

Hi everyone. Just want to know if there is any market near the university where I can buy fresh food, daily necessities etc. at bargain prices?
Reply 1
http://thegoodsshed.co.uk/ is down by Canterbury West train station, which you can get to via a foothpath from the University, I think it takes about 15-20 minutes. I have no idea what the prices are like but this is the first market type thing I could think of!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by waxby
http://thegoodsshed.co.uk/ is down by Canterbury West train station, which you can get to via a foothpath from the University, I think it takes about 15-20 minutes. I have no idea what the prices are like but this is the first market type thing I could think of!

It's not a place to find great bargains, it's about as middle class as Canterbury gets
Reply 3
Original post by JimmyBignutz
It's not a place to find great bargains, it's about as middle class as Canterbury gets

As I said, I have no idea about the prices, I've just gone past it a few times and it sprang to mind. :smile:
Original post by waxby
As I said, I have no idea about the prices, I've just gone past it a few times and it sprang to mind. :smile:

I wasn't having a go, just making sure the OP wasn't misled, unintentionally or otherwise
Reply 5
Original post by JimmyBignutz
I wasn't having a go, just making sure the OP wasn't misled, unintentionally or otherwise

I didn't think you were having a go haha! That's fair enough, I just wanted to reiterate that I've never actually been there i've just seen it and it seems like a market type of place :smile:
Every Wednesday there's a market on the high street where you can buy fresh food :smile: Once a month there's also a big food market in this market place just off the high street and once a year around late September there's a massive Food Festival in this park just past Boots (near the bus station).

But yeah I just did my shopping at Aldi - it's the cheapest place for a poor student like me haha. Only con is that they don't deliver and it's a bit of a walk to the bus stop compared to shopping at Tesco's. There's also a massive ASDA and Morrison's but they're just outside of town (20 minutes from town to ASDA, 10 from town to Morrisions - btw it's about 20 from Uni to town by bus; less if there's traffic).
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for the input!
Reply 8
I'm not from the UK and prices in UK are pretty high for me. I'm a poor student too haha so need to save a lot!
Original post by Anniechong
I'm not from the UK and prices in UK are pretty high for me. I'm a poor student too haha so need to save a lot!

Ah okay! Yes - in the UK, it's generally cheaper to buy food from the supermarkets rather than market stalls. Congratulations on getting into Kent and have a lovely time!
Reply 10
Original post by APersonCalledClara
Ah okay! Yes - in the UK, it's generally cheaper to buy food from the supermarkets rather than market stalls. Congratulations on getting into Kent and have a lovely time!

Thanks for telling me this! And yes, I'm sure I'll have a great time studying at Kent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending