The Student Room Group

Question about retaking as levels?

I got AAAB in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics respectively at AS

I'm planning of dropping physics

I'm wondering the whole process of retaking an AS module because I could step up the maths modules to make my life easier for C3 and 4
I could also gain a lot of marks retaking one of each in Biology and Chemistry?
So if I do retake an AS module, and I perform worse than before ( lol hopefuly not), will that mark get put forward or the mark before? and I'm aware some universities don't allow retakes for the course I want to do so not sure atm! Thankyou anyway!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frozo123

I'm wondering the whole process of retaking an AS module because I could step up the maths modules to make my life easier for C3 and 4
So if I do retake an AS module, and I perform worse than before ( lol hopefuly not), will that mark get put forward or the mark before? and I'm aware some universities don't allow retakes for the course I want to do so not sure atm! Thankyou anyway!

90% sure the most recent result counts. In which case, you're probably better of doing as few or no retakes, especially as you have such brilliant grades! doing a retake and doing better may seem a good thing, but it may also detract from the amount of work you do for the rest of your exams. If I were you, I'd do no retakes and focus on nailing next years exams!
Original post by jimbo007
90% sure the most recent result counts. In which case, you're probably better of doing as few or no retakes, especially as you have such brilliant grades! doing a retake and doing better may seem a good thing, but it may also detract from the amount of work you do for the rest of your exams. If I were you, I'd do no retakes and focus on nailing next years exams!

I thought the best mark was taken. That's definitely what's said here.
Original post by Chlorophile
I thought the best mark was taken. That's definitely what's said here.

Yes you're right, I think I got mixed up with remarks. Either way, OP is probably still better of not retaking I'd of thought
Reply 4
Won't having to prepare for retakes affect your revision for your A2 exams? If you don't mind that, then go for it. I'm in a very similar position to you in terms of grades, however I wouldn't even think about retaking, it's just added stress to the year in my opinion.

Take it from someone who's facing 3 retakes despite working their a*** off all year, if you don't need to, don't!
If you want an A* next year but your grades are a little low, then think about it, but if you ask me you'll just be making things a lot harder for yourself!
Reply 6
So if I do retake an AS module, and I perform worse than before ( lol hopefuly not), will that mark get put forward or the mark before?

For A levels, the better/best attempt you get at a unit is always the one that counts.

I'm wondering the whole process of retaking an AS module because I could step up the maths modules to make my life easier for C3 and 4 I could also gain a lot of marks retaking one of each in Biology and Chemistry?

Probably not worth your while unless you have one obviously weak paper -e.g. if you got a a c in the 3 units. You already have As so you'd be better off concentrating on doing as well as possible in the A2 units.

and I'm aware some universities don't allow retakes for the course I want to do so not sure atm! Thankyou anyway!

Most universities don't care for most subjects. I have known several people go on to read Medicine or to Oxford having re-sat stuff.
I messed up my AS literature and had to completely retake that subject. I went through all the classes, as well as retaking the exam. I'm also planning on retaking 2 psychology exams next year.

The highest grade that you achieve will be the one that others see. For example, I got a D in Literature the first time round, and got a B this time. The D is now irrelevant (and unspoken of, thank god).

If you feel comfortable in retaking the exams, and know that you can make time to revise and learn, then go for it. It will be stressful though, if you're anything like me, because I was constantly worried about getting a worse or the same grade, despite all the extra work.
If you just want to retake a single module (e.g I only want to retake aqa bio unit 1) do you go to classes, or are you just expected to learn/revise yourself? Also do you have to pay for the retake? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jimbo007

Thankyou! Well since I don't have to do all this extra curricular crap next year I can start chilling much more after BMAT and concentrate on my exams:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Trainz
Won't having to prepare for retakes affect your revision for your A2 exams? If you don't mind that, then go for it. I'm in a very similar position to you in terms of grades, however I wouldn't even think about retaking, it's just added stress to the year in my opinion.

Erm no not really because next year I will start revising much earlier instead of the end of April haha, and also the maths results I can just do the exams again, it's going to be Chem Unit 1 so not too much more work, and Biology I will think about, I can get an extra 20 something UMS in it!
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
For A levels, the better/best attempt you get at a unit is always the one that counts.

Probably not worth your while unless you have one obviously weak paper -e.g. if you got a a c in the 3 units. You already have As so you'd be better off concentrating on doing as well as possible in the A2 units.

Most universities don't care for most subjects. I have known several people go on to read Medicine or to Oxford having re-sat stuff.

1. Thanks!
2. Yeah I messed up my applied option so:frown:
3. Well I checked the requirements just now, Sheffield are not allowing any resits wtf?! and Nottingham only allowing 1 resit per subject
Reply 12
Original post by jaydamber
I messed up my AS literature and had to completely retake that subject. I went through all the classes, as well as retaking the exam. I'm also planning on retaking 2 psychology exams next year.

The highest grade that you achieve will be the one that others see. For example, I got a D in Literature the first time round, and got a B this time. The D is now irrelevant (and unspoken of, thank god).

If you feel comfortable in retaking the exams, and know that you can make time to revise and learn, then go for it. It will be stressful though, if you're anything like me, because I was constantly worried about getting a worse or the same grade, despite all the extra work.

So are you on track on doing the thing you want to do now? I hope everything goes well:frown: x

and well for maths you don't need to revise much for the AS modules so might as well haha, biology however will be effort-_-
Reply 13
Original post by triplet3
If you just want to retake a single module (e.g I only want to retake aqa bio unit 1) do you go to classes, or are you just expected to learn/revise yourself? Also do you have to pay for the retake? Thanks :smile:

No you don't have to!

And it depends what school you go to? You need to check with your school
So are you on track on doing the thing you want to do now? I hope everything goes well:frown: x

and well for maths you don't need to revise much for the AS modules so might as well haha, biology however will be effort-_-

Yeah I am pretty much on track now. thanks, you too :smile:

Yeah maths isnt something you can revise really... Just set out a week by week plan on what topics need to be covered, and leave enough room to quickly go over everything and do all the past papers.
Reply 15
Original post by jaydamber
Yeah I am pretty much on track now. thanks, you too :smile:

Yeah maths isnt something you can revise really... Just set out a week by week plan on what topics need to be covered, and leave enough room to quickly go over everything and do all the past papers.

Okay, thankyou:')
Yep for maths it's how you perform on the day really, can be a good A or even a C lol
Reply 16
Erm no not really because next year I will start revising much earlier instead of the end of April haha, and also the maths results I can just do the exams again, it's going to be Chem Unit 1 so not too much more work, and Biology I will think about, I can get an extra 20 something UMS in it!

In that case, I'd say go for it. You definitely seem motivated so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

In my case, I'd rather put more effort towards A2, but hey that's just me.
Reply 17
Original post by Trainz
In that case, I'd say go for it. You definitely seem motivated so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

In my case, I'd rather put more effort towards A2, but hey that's just me.

what subjects/grades/ your plans for the future?
Reply 18
what subjects/grades/ your plans for the future?

I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics just like you and got AAAA.

Plans for my future? being completely honest, I don't have much of a clue. My teachers have suggested I do natural science or something along those lines but for now, it's still something I'm thinking about. Since I don't know for sure what I want to do, I can't drop any of my subjects yet either.
Reply 19
Original post by Trainz
I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics just like you and got AAAA.

Plans for my future? being completely honest, I don't have much of a clue. My teachers have suggested I do natural science or something along those lines but for now, it's still something I'm thinking about. Since I don't know for sure what I want to do, I can't drop any of my subjects yet either.

wow that's so good man! Impressed:wink:
what exam board were they haha?
hmm okay, ever thought of Dentistry or Medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest