The Student Room Group

I have posted so many threads for the same question, please someone help me!

Does a comma splice only occur while joining two independent clauses?

Like this:

1)I went to the shops, I got myself a new bag.

Can a comma splice still occur in a sentence with three or more clauses, like
this?

2) Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer, considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

3) Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk, avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.

This is how I would use a comma with three clauses in one sentence . Let me know if there is an error of my comma usage.

When I have three or more linked thoughts in a sentence I do get confused while using a comma, and whether I have to put a coordinating conjunction and comma after every though that comes to mind.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
In sentences with more than two clauses, a comma may be used as you mentioned. However, a " ; " can be a better choice in this case. e.g.
Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk; avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.
OR
Many businesses will require new and improved equipment to enable that every task is carried out finer; considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.
Original post by writeperfekt
In sentences with more than two clauses, a comma may be used as you mentioned. However, a " ; " can be a better choice in this case. e.g.
Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk; avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.
OR
Many businesses will require new and improved equipment to enable that every task is carried out finer; considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

Thank you for your reply. At last some one has answered my question! :smile:
In sentences with more than two clauses, a comma may be used as you mentioned. However, a
OR

What about this:
Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer; considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

?

But where my first two examples incorrect, or were they also useable?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Highfiveyou
What about this:
Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer; considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

?

But where my first two examples incorrect, or where they also useable?
Sorry for asking a lot of questions :smile:

In my opinion, no comma should be used between 'equipment' and 'to enable' . However a " ; " serves the purpose as it is used here.
it appears that your sentences were grammatically correct; however, the use of comma was inappropriate.

Check this and you'll love the idea of using " ; "

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
In my opinion, no comma should be used between 'equipment' and 'to enable' . However a " ; " serves the purpose as it is used here.

Okay, thank you! Were the first two examples, I first put up also incorrect? I see in some texts when there are three different clauses/thoughts a comma is used, like this:

The book, that I had read previously, was very much boring and time consuming.

The police man, as a man of respect, should not act I inappropriately under any circumstances.

Is this also a correct way?

Thank you once again :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay, thank you! Were the first two examples, I first put up also incorrect? I see in some texts when there are three different clauses/thoughts a comma is used, like this:

The book, that I had read previously, was very much boring and time consuming.

The police man, as a man of respect, should not act I inappropriately under any circumstances.

Is this also a correct way?

Thank you once again :smile:

As a matter of fact, using multiple commas is not incorrect (as you used in these sentences). The only thing is to choose a comma or a semicolon, correctly.
As a matter of fact, using multiple commas is not incorrect (as you used in these sentences). The only thing is to choose a comma or a semicolon, correctly.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. So was my use correct? Your message has me puzzled, sorry. :smile:

I'm referring to the first two sentence examples I first put up on this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry I don't understand what you mean. So was my use correct? Your message has me puzzled, sorry. :smile:

I'm referring to the first two sentence examples I first put up on this thread.

I think your use was incorrect. I sent the corrected ones in my first message. However, you can take a second opinion to be certain.
I think your use was incorrect. I sent the corrected ones in my first message. However, you can take a second opinion to be certain.

Okay that's great. Thank you for your help!!
Okay that's great. Thank you for your help!!

Welcome

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending