The Student Room Group

Can I get into medicine with these AS results?

Hi, for my AS i got this.

Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
Maths C

For GCSE I got
4A*
4A
2B

I'm deciding whether to do the UKCAT now.
I've got plenty (if not too much) work experience and volunteering.

Should I go for medicine?

Thanks
If you can get your teachers to predict you AAA then I don't see why not! Double check what GCSES each uni requires and don't apply to ones that won't accept yours but you should be able to find at least the 4 with those grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Hogwartstudent
If you can get your teachers to predict you AAA then I don't see why not! Double check what GCSES each uni requires and don't apply to ones that won't accept yours but you should be able to find at least the 4 with those grades.

Thanks, do you think I should drop any of the subjects (Maths) or should I continue with 4? Only concern is that if i get any interviews or anything like that then I may miss some of these lessons.
Reply 3
My AS results were worse than I expected- can I still do Medicine?

My AS results are high As in Geography and Philosophy & Ethics, B in Biology and C in Chemistry. In my GCSEs I got 6.5 A*s, 4 As and a B, and my UKCAT score is 2440. I have done a lot of relevant work experience.

I am making plans with teachers and my careers advisor to discuss options, but at the moment this is what I consider doing:
-Researching alternative careers/courses (I have an interest in Psychology and Physiotherapy, if anyone has any advice about that) and universities, and applying this year for a course that isn't Medicine (as my predicted grades from my AS results won't be high enough to apply to Medicine this year). Hopefully I will get an offer or two.

-Dropping Geography as originally planned and continuing with Chemistry (although this may be sacrificing a possible A* for a possible B in Chemistry A2.)

-Working very hard on my A2s, resitting relevant modules and aiming for AAA (with a particular focus on Chemistry, which I will need to dedicate a lot of time to.) Also gaining as much work experience as possible for the courses I have applied for (I already know several people who could help me gain experience in Physiotherapy.)

-If my A2 results are AAA, I will apply to some of the medical schools that accept resits (eg. Hull York, Bristol...etc) and then take a gap year, gaining relevant experience (apparently universities really favour people with life experience, so this could give me an advantage anyway.)

OR

-If my A2 results are AAB, which is a possibility due to my C in Chemistry AS, then I will still be successful if I accept any offers from the alternative courses I apply to this year (as many Physio and Psychology courses are AAB.) I will hopefully go to university at the usual time, and enjoy the course I take.

The main issue is whether to take Chemistry or to drop it. If I take it, Medicine's still a possibility and some of the top Physio and Psychology courses require two sciences. However, I may get a B in it (or even a C, but hopefully not!)

If I take Geography, which I got a high A in, I would most likely get an A or A*. My grades as a whole would probably be higher, and I may be able to apply to better courses in Physio or Psychology. However, that's my dream of practising Medicine over with.

What is the best option for me? Am I thinking along the right lines, or are there any alternative routes I should consider? (post-grad isn't really an option)
I would appreciate any feedback, and in particular the stories of people who have been in similar situations to me.

Original post by aroby
Thanks, do you think I should drop any of the subjects (Maths) or should I continue with 4? Only concern is that if i get any interviews or anything like that then I may miss some of these lessons.

doing 4 is a lot of work. I did it and got AAAB but I nearly missed my offer (in fact on results day I got AABB and had a remark) I wasn't sure which subject offered me the best chance of an A but if you're sure maths doesn't then I would say drop it.
Original post by redmai
My AS results were worse than I expected- can I still do Medicine?

My AS results are high As in Geography and Philosophy & Ethics, B in Biology and C in Chemistry. In my GCSEs I got 6.5 A*s, 4 As and a B, and my UKCAT score is 2440. I have done a lot of relevant work experience.

I am making plans with teachers and my careers advisor to discuss options, but at the moment this is what I consider doing:
-Researching alternative careers/courses (I have an interest in Psychology and Physiotherapy, if anyone has any advice about that) and universities, and applying this year for a course that isn't Medicine (as my predicted grades from my AS results won't be high enough to apply to Medicine this year). Hopefully I will get an offer or two.

-Dropping Geography as originally planned and continuing with Chemistry (although this may be sacrificing a possible A* for a possible B in Chemistry A2.)

-Working very hard on my A2s, resitting relevant modules and aiming for AAA (with a particular focus on Chemistry, which I will need to dedicate a lot of time to.) Also gaining as much work experience as possible for the courses I have applied for (I already know several people who could help me gain experience in Physiotherapy.)

-If my A2 results are AAA, I will apply to some of the medical schools that accept resits (eg. Hull York, Bristol...etc) and then take a gap year, gaining relevant experience (apparently universities really favour people with life experience, so this could give me an advantage anyway.)

OR

-If my A2 results are AAB, which is a possibility due to my C in Chemistry AS, then I will still be successful if I accept any offers from the alternative courses I apply to this year (as many Physio and Psychology courses are AAB.) I will hopefully go to university at the usual time, and enjoy the course I take.

The main issue is whether to take Chemistry or to drop it. If I take it, Medicine's still a possibility and some of the top Physio and Psychology courses require two sciences. However, I may get a B in it (or even a C, but hopefully not!)

If I take Geography, which I got a high A in, I would most likely get an A or A*. My grades as a whole would probably be higher, and I may be able to apply to better courses in Physio or Psychology. However, that's my dream of practising Medicine over with.

What is the best option for me? Am I thinking along the right lines, or are there any alternative routes I should consider? (post-grad isn't really an option)
I would appreciate any feedback, and in particular the stories of people who have been in similar situations to me.

are you definitely sure you CAN'T get your chemistry teacher to predict you an A? my first port of call would be to beg and throw EVERYTHING at chemistry. It all depends on how much you want to do it but i'm pretty sure one university (east Anglia I think?) DOESNT require chemistry.

You said post grad isn't an option but a LOT of courses at Cardiff offer for you to transfer to medicine after a year and some biomed courses will offer this too you just have to look around. if you don't want to let go of the dream then don't.

p.s. if you resit AS modules BEFORE you finish A2 this DOES NOT COUNT AS RESITTING.

if I were you I would keep chemistry and resit my 2 worst modules (or any you felt were on a bad day) it's also worth resitting practicals for bio if you didn't get an A* in them as these wont be at the same time as your other exams and you'll find them easier after another year of study.

I resat my Chemistry practical and it went from a low A to full marks. This tipped my grade to an A overall.

I'd say if you're determined you can still do it THIS YEAR but you need to put a LOT of effort into the chemistry. get a tutor if you can afford it if not get the official text book and get learning A2 NOW.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending