The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

BA History - UEA

So at the last minute I've switched to the UEA to do history which I'm very happy about. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about studying history at UEA. How much time you spend in lectures or seminars? What is actually studied? and what your general experience of History at UEA is like? Just so I can get a better understanding. thanks
Original post by Lucia2411
So at the last minute I've switched to the UEA to do history which I'm very happy about. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about studying history at UEA. How much time you spend in lectures or seminars? What is actually studied? and what your general experience of History at UEA is like? Just so I can get a better understanding. thanks

Hi Lucia- although I did an International Relations degree I studied some Modern History modules so I can help- in first year lectures & seminars are 50 mins, for Introduction to Modern History we had two 50 mins lectures a week and one 50 mins seminar. I believe this is similar for other modules.

As for what is studied it is all detailed here:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/ba-history

And my general experience with modern history was great- most of the lecturers with one in particular who really stands out.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Are seminars and lectures spread out over the week or are they more likely to be blocked together like over a few days? It's something I'm curious about from travel purposes
Thanks for your reply. Are seminars and lectures spread out over the week or are they more likely to be blocked together like over a few days? It's something I'm curious about from travel purposes

More likely to be spread out, expect to be in 4 or 5 days in first year. If they haven't changed the timetables (they don't usually) then Introduction to Modern History will have lectures Mon & Wed, then my seminar was Monday as well but there were others on other days which I can't remember now.
Reply 4
Hi Lucia - I'm on the History BA at the moment. In your first year you will take 3 modules each term and each of those modules consists of 2 lectures and 1 seminar. The amount of time you'll be in depends on which seminar group you end up in (I was lucky to get it down to 3 days for my first term).

I have to say, the course has been amazing and I am so glad I chose to study here. All of the modules I've taken have been interesting, especially 2nd year onwards when you can chose what you study. I'm a medievalist who actively avoids modern modules but for my medieval ones my experience has been as positive as Jelly's has.

My top tip is not to be too intimidated by the lecturers and make use of their office hours to go and ask for advice on your work etc. So many first years don't bother but it's a great way to build up good relationships and it can really pay off in your second years when class sizes drop dramatically and you work much closer with the teaching staff
Reply 5
Thank you both for your replies. You've helped ease my mind about the course. It looks really good especially the second year. I've been looking at the campus map today and was wondering what buildings these lectures and seminars take place? And cakelady do you mean per week with the lectures? Also as the first year has compulsory modules is that an easy transitions from A level to uni?
Reply 6
Sorry - I meant you would have 2 lectures and 1 seminar per week for each module.

Because of the number of students, first year lectures tend to take place in one of the big lecture spaces so either Thomas Payne Study Centre, Congregation Hall or the central lecture theatre block (opposite the library). Seminars can be absolutely anywhere on campus but I think they try to keep them in Arts 1 or 2 as far as possible.

I joined as a mature student and it had been at least 10 years between finishing my A Levels and starting Uni so if I can manage it i'm sure you'll be fine straight out of sixth form. The first term modules seemed quite easy, probably to break everyone in gently. I saw it as a way of teaching everyone the differences between A Level and uni level work - lots of the other students said there were differences in some areas such as essay writing. Then it got a bit harder in the second term. For me it was a bigger leap between year 1 and 2 than from starting year 1. By year 2 they expect you to have cracked it and be able to hit the ground running.

You'll be fine - its a fab, friendly university and i've found the history staff to be great.
Reply 7
Ok thanks a lot :smile: my biggest concern at the moment is travel as I live about 40 miles from Norwich and will be staying with family in Norwich the days I have to go in. So I'm hoping I can get it down to as few days as possible, although it's not that big a deal
Reply 8
When I started I used to commute from a different county altogether so I know what you mean. When your timetable is released see how many days you have to be in - if it is too many you can go to the HUB and request to change to another seminar group. They only let you change for a good reason but travel of that distance would be allowable. Both terms I managed to swap seminars around and get it down to three days a week on campus. Because there are so many first years all taking the same modules there is a lot of scope to change.

In the second year there is usually only one seminar group per module but they will give you a timetable of when each module is scheduled to run so you can make your choices partly based around that. In September I will be on campus 4 days per week because I now live closer to UEA but it is possible to get it down to 2 or 3 days depending on your module choice as long as you don't mind your days on campus being really busy.
Ok thanks a lot :smile: my biggest concern at the moment is travel as I live about 40 miles from Norwich and will be staying with family in Norwich the days I have to go in. So I'm hoping I can get it down to as few days as possible, although it's not that big a deal

Is it not possible to move to Norwich? It will make participating in uni life so much easier.
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000
Is it not possible to move to Norwich? It will make participating in uni life so much easier.

I will be living with my aunt who lives about 5 minutes from the campus
I will be living with my aunt who lives about 5 minutes from the campus

oh fair enough, as long as the regular travelling backwards and forwards doesn't get too tiring.
Reply 12
Original post by jelly1000
oh fair enough, as long as the regular travelling backwards and forwards doesn't get too tiring.

Living in halls doesn't appeal to me much for many reasons. Such as the cost and the fact I have family willing to let me stay who live nearby. But I also live near enough so if I had days off I could actually go home if I wanted to.

I'm not sure if I'll miss out if I do it this way. But I'm comfortable doing it like this :smile:
Do UEA have any example timetables for history?
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Londoner97;51419201"]Do UEA have any example timetables for history?[/QUOTE

what do you mean by timetable? Individual students weekly one?
[QUOTE="Lucia2411;51419333"]
Original post by Londoner97
Do UEA have any example timetables for history?[/QUOTE

what do you mean by timetable? Individual students weekly one?

Yeah, just to see how many lectures/seminars each week. I'm hopefully going to start History next September
Reply 16
I started the History course this september. We have 6 (50 min) lectures a week 2 for each module and 3 (50 min) seminars a week, 1 for each module.
The timetable varies depending on what seminar groups you're in. I go in every day of the week but I know people who only go in for 3 days. At the moment I go in for 1 seminar on a monday evening, 1 lecture and 1 seminar on a tuesday morning, 2 lectures on a wednesday morning, 3 lectures on thursday and 1 seminar on friday - I hope that answers your question
Reply 17
There aren't any example timetables online that I'm aware of
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending