The Student Room Group

What classes as a 'relevant science' subject?

I am wanting to do a food and nutrition course at university and at quite a few places they ask for a science related subject, however for my A levels I did not pick a science subject I am doing Food technology, photography, business studies and art. I am wondering would they class Food as a relevant science subject because the subject is very 'sciencey' and it is a food course I am applying for after all?!
I'm not so sure. They may accept Food Tech, however the nutrition and dietetics courses look very much in detail at the chemistry and biology of food and how it interacts with the body. I'm not there yet, but am about to do an Access HE course. From what I have looked at you would need some knowledge above GCSE in biology and chemistry because they look at biochemistry and similar topics during the degree.

It might be fine, however in my circumstances for example, every course I want to apply for has requested I get distinctions in my biology and chemistry subjects.

Is it too late to change? Or maybe you could do another course in the evening on top?
I could be wrong. That is always possible. I am just letting you know what I have gained from my research.

I am doing the access course because for my A levels I did: english, photography and media. Then a foundation in art. So I don't have the relevant qualifications to get onto a nutrition degree right now.
I'm due to start a dietetics course and for the majority of them they wanted a Chemistry A level and the ones who didn't wanted at least biology. From what I remember when i was looking at my options a lot of the food science courses wanted at least one science as well but i think they accepted things like applied sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending