The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Just finished 1st year journalism...will answer any questions

So I just finished my first year of journalism and will be going into the second year in September. I know I had loads of questions last year so if anyone wants to know anything ask me and I'll do my best to answer it, whether it be about the course, the uni, or anything else :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hanmathers
So I just finished my first year of journalism and will be going into the second year in September. I know I had loads of questions last year so if anyone wants to know anything ask me and I'll do my best to answer it, whether it be about the course, the uni, or anything else :smile:

Being a journalist, shouldn't you be asking questions?

Also what three pieces of advice would you say to hanmathers a year ago, walking in on the first day?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
What grade did you get at the end of your first year? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by misscherie
What grade did you get at the end of your first year? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 69% which is a high 2:1
Reply 4
Original post by adi19956

Also what three pieces of advice would you say to hanmathers a year ago, walking in on the first day?

I would say, 1) dont take first year so seriously. just have fun. 2) Talking to your tutors, is not only interesting, but also inspiring and helpful, not nerdy or sad. 3) Do your work the way you see fit, if it's wrong it doesnt matter, you're just learning and thats the best thing you can do.
Reply 5
Original post by adi19956

also journalists should ask questions yes, but im not a journalist im a 2nd year student who is just trying to help and offer advice.
I got 69% which is a high 2:1

Ahh well done! Btw, how much free time do you have for societies and parties?

I want to join about 2-3 societies and one includes a sport but I don't know if that's too much to balance with uni work? x
Reply 7
Ahh well done! Btw, how much free time do you have for societies and parties?

I want to join about 2-3 societies and one includes a sport but I don't know if that's too much to balance with uni work? x

You will have enough time to do that, sport takes up a lot of time, I do waterpolo and I have to train about 3 times a week but most other societies only meet once a week. I am on the committee for two societies this year as well as carrying on with waterpolo so I'll be doing three things! first year is definitely the year to do as much as you can because obviously it is the year with the least work! Just join everything that takes your fancy then you can narrow it down as the year goes on
Ahh that's good because I was really worried about that - do they mind if you just can make it once a week or are they really strict?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also did you find that you the workload easier or harder than A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Also did you find that you the workload easier or harder than A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soooo much easier, there's much less work tbh but it's just harder to do well in some things.
Reply 11
Ahh that's good because I was really worried about that - do they mind if you just can make it once a week or are they really strict?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sports can vary, obviously if you want to play in the first team you have to make every training session. Societies are pretty flexible though and you can go when you want
Soooo much easier, there's much less work tbh but it's just harder to do well in some things.

OMG HALLELUJAH! Because halfway through the year it got to the point I was questioning of taking a gap year tbh!
Thanks for ur advice, it's really reassured me 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
OMG HALLELUJAH! Because halfway through the year it got to the point I was questioning of taking a gap year tbh!
Thanks for ur advice, it's really reassured me 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha it's fine if you need to know anything else, just ask :smile: I'm on the journo soc committee next year so I'm sure we'll meet at some point.
Oh I have another question I noticed a lot of the work is independent study which I'm alright with - how did you find manage studying independently as you're already given a lot of freedom at university anyways. And also are you still able to ask your lecturers for help of needed in some areas like in school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Oh I have another question I noticed a lot of the work is independent study which I'm alright with - how did you find manage studying independently as you're already given a lot of freedom at university anyways. And also are you still able to ask your lecturers for help of needed in some areas like in school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reading you do depends on how you study, for me I found reading throughout the year pointless because by the time I needed to use the information, I'd forgotten it, so I tended to just do the work set and in the first term I read the news a lot to learn writing styles which was recommended. I also typed up lectures and then researched any bits I didn't understand to ensure it all made sense. I then did a lot of reading when essays were set and only read what was needed. This wouldn't work for everyone and they would read throughout the year which meant they had a lot less to do around essay and exam time. I'd say the only time I found the workload a bit much was around May time because deadlines were the day before exams so revising and writing essays at the same time was a bit hard, apart from that the amount you do outside of lectures depends on the individual.

And yes the lecturers are very helpful, they will all give you their email addresses and they usually get back to you pretty quick. I had a private meeting with one when I couldn't get my head around an essay I had been set and he sat down with me for about an hour and explained it thoroughly.
Also I was wondering if I needed to buy a printer but was thinking navy I should wait until I get there and find out how most of our work is submitted? Would u reccomend buying one or not? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Also I was wondering if I needed to buy a printer but was thinking navy I should wait until I get there and find out how most of our work is submitted? Would u reccomend buying one or not? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had one and it was very useful. Most work needs to be submitted online and in paper copy. Printing is fairly cheap at the library but it's just a nuisance having to walk down especially if you are submitting last minute.
Also I know this is probably a stupid question but it's only because I saw team stops on the campus map - do you have to walk around everywhere on campus? Or do the trams travel throughout campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Also I know this is probably a stupid question but it's only because I saw team stops on the campus map - do you have to walk around everywhere on campus? Or do the trams travel throughout campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one really uses the tram as they dont go anywhere near endcliffe or anything, i only used it twice throughout the whole year to get to Meadowhall. Also the tram is really expensive compared to buses. I mainly walked everywhere as nowhere is too far away. Obviously Sheff isnt a campus uni, so you have to do quite a bit of walking and journo lectures tended to be furthest away but its alright with your friends. Buses are quite cheap with the student card as well so i took that if it was raining .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending