The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A2 - remark?

Hi everyone,

Hope Thursday went well for you all! If you want my question scroll down past the two paragraphs which are background info which might be useful :smile:

I wondered if anyone here took AQA English Literature "Love Through The Ages" this year and if so what your result in the exam was? Our year had some really bizarre grades - I got a B when expecting an A*, whereas others in my class received Es and Ds when they were expecting and deserved at least As. We had fab teaching and it doesn't make any sense. (This is the third year running I've had huge problems with AQA and am ready to wring necks...)

I still attained an A and have a place at the University of York to study English which is amazing :smile: However for my own peace of mind I am tempted to get the exam re-marked, as I've had full marks in coursework and a high A on the AS exam (which I had to resit after last year). It seems pretentious to re-mark when I already have an A and a uni place, but when it seems that whoever marked my school's scripts got something wrong I wonder if it might be worth it?

So two questions really:
- has anyone else had problems with AQA English Literature (I did World War One literature at AS and Love Through The Ages at A2)?
- what do people think about me getting a re-mark - worth it, or should I not bother?

Thanks!
L
Original post by luelya
Hi everyone,

Hope Thursday went well for you all! If you want my question scroll down past the two paragraphs which are background info which might be useful :smile:

I wondered if anyone here took AQA English Literature "Love Through The Ages" this year and if so what your result in the exam was? Our year had some really bizarre grades - I got a B when expecting an A*, whereas others in my class received Es and Ds when they were expecting and deserved at least As. We had fab teaching and it doesn't make any sense. (This is the third year running I've had huge problems with AQA and am ready to wring necks...)

I still attained an A and have a place at the University of York to study English which is amazing :smile: However for my own peace of mind I am tempted to get the exam re-marked, as I've had full marks in coursework and a high A on the AS exam (which I had to resit after last year). It seems pretentious to re-mark when I already have an A and a uni place, but when it seems that whoever marked my school's scripts got something wrong I wonder if it might be worth it?

So two questions really:
- has anyone else had problems with AQA English Literature (I did World War One literature at AS and Love Through The Ages at A2)?
- what do people think about me getting a re-mark - worth it, or should I not bother?

Thanks!
L

You are in luck! I did this exam too! I got a D for the exam too when I was getting Bs in my practice... A lot of A/B students got Ds and Es too, dropping their grades by one.

I also did WW1, but we had zero problems with that. Can I ask what school you are with? You don't have to say, you can just say city; so Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield for example.

I just emailed my English Lit teacher/Head of Department so I shall feedback what her professional judgement will be.

However, because you already have an A and a uni place it will be a waste of money. You can get your script called back though which will be cheaper. But I wouldn't bother getting it remarked.
Reply 2
I usually get As. I received AA grades at AS level, an A* in my A2 coursework but a B in the 'love through the ages' exam despite consistently getting A's in mocks which dragged my whole grade down to a B! I got a remark as I just needed 1 extra mark for an A. The result came back today- unchanged and still at a low B. Very disappointed!
Reply 3
Hi guys!
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my slow response!
I'm sorry your results were lower than expected, though it's some comfort to know I'm not alone in this.

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You are in luck! I did this exam too! I got a D for the exam too when I was getting Bs in my practice... A lot of A/B students got Ds and Es too, dropping their grades by one.

I also did WW1, but we had zero problems with that. Can I ask what school you are with? You don't have to say, you can just say city; so Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield for example.

I just emailed my English Lit teacher/Head of Department so I shall feedback what her professional judgement will be.

However, because you already have an A and a uni place it will be a waste of money. You can get your script called back though which will be cheaper. But I wouldn't bother getting it remarked.

It seems like AQA have some really inconsistent marking going on. My English teacher used to mark for them so we felt we could trust the grades he gave us (and so did he) so it was a bit of a surprise.
My school has had huge problems with the WW1 course over the past three years, to the point at which we took legal action against AQA but this doesn't seem to have helped. Most people in the year above me had to retake the WW1 AS course and so did a few people in my year, including Oxbridge hopefuls. Bizarrely in my retake, which I spent about a day revising for, I only dropped 16 marks in the whole exam.
However having had a couple of weeks to think on it all I do agree with you. It doesn't make a lot of sense (particularly as it could go down...!). I will just forget it and be happy with my uni place :smile: Though would be interesting to know what your HoD's advice was.

Original post by Rosie00x
I usually get As. I received AA grades at AS level, an A* in my A2 coursework but a B in the 'love through the ages' exam despite consistently getting A's in mocks which dragged my whole grade down to a B! I got a remark as I just needed 1 extra mark for an A. The result came back today- unchanged and still at a low B. Very disappointed!

Oh that's gutting. It was similar to me with my AS remark - everyone I spoke to who got a remark saw no change to their grade. I feel like it's some kind of AQA policy. Has it affected your uni place significantly?
Original post by luelya
I will just forget it and be happy with my uni place :smile: Though would be interesting to know what your HoD's advice was.

That's what you should be focusing on now. Forget school, all about uni now!

Well all my HoD said was that she sent a recall for a few papers to see what happened cause the results didn't match up with her data she had. She said that if the recall were all marked up, she would send all the papers back for a remark and see what happens. I will email her to see if there's any update! She also said that AQA Language results were off-putting as well!

AQA is truly ridiculous sometimes!
Reply 5
That's so interesting. Why can't they just get it right first time aha! Hope it works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest