The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Since most of us will have already started planning our applications, I think it's probably a suitable time for the 2015 Geologists and Earth Scientists to have a thread of their own!

Here's the earth sciences connect/stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Where are you applying?
Original post by Turtlefushsia
Where are you applying?

Probably Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Southampton (for Geophysics where the option exists). How about you?
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
Probably Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Southampton (for Geophysics where the option exists). How about you?

I'm applying to Southampton. Just wanted to know the more detailed experience of graduates from there (on my thread). :]
Had a look round oxfords earth science dept. It's small as well as the library which has its pros and cons.. according to some of the students, some of the teaching wasn't great however there are also quite good ones too. Its seems to be highly academic which may or may not suit me as hopefully I would like to have a career in the exploration industry..Mixed opinions really, not really sure it's worth applying to despite its reputation. The colleges are great though as well as the city. Any other thoughts on Oxford ?
Just out of curiosity, why aren't you applying for natural sciences at Cambridge with those unbelievable UMS scores?
Original post by urbanbiscuit
Had a look round oxfords earth science dept. It's small as well as the library which has its pros and cons.. according to some of the students, some of the teaching wasn't great however there are also quite good ones too. Its seems to be highly academic which may or may not suit me as hopefully I would like to have a career in the exploration industry..Mixed opinions really, not really sure it's worth applying to despite its reputation. The colleges are great though as well as the city. Any other thoughts on Oxford ?

I really loved the look of their department but if you want to go into exploration, I'm not sure if Oxford is the best place. You're definitely right in terms of the fact that their course is very theoretical and whilst lots of people do go into exploration (and similar) industries, I'd have thought that Imperial would be better. If you do Geology there, you get an unbelievable amount of practical experience which the employers absolutely crave, and obviously they've got amazing links to the petroleum industry. Certainly within industry, I'd have thought that their reputation is at least as good as Oxford (on top of the fact that Imperial ranked higher than Oxford on the most recent QS global rankings). Also, in terms of student satisfaction Imperial got 100% I think, whereas Oxford's is surprisingly low. I'm not trying to put you off Oxford - I absolutely loved their department and definitely want to go there - but definitely consider Imperial as a viable alternative.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to earth sciences connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Are there really so few earth scientists on TSR this year? Last year's thread appeared to be very prolific. I need people to discuss geology with, I've already bored everyone I know at school to death ):
Are there really so few earth scientists on TSR this year? Last year's thread appeared to be very prolific. I need people to discuss geology with, I've already bored everyone I know at school to death ):

You can talk to me! I'm interested in it, although I'm not sciencey enough to do a degree in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Threads scare me. D:
Truthfully, I've been stalking this thread.....
Reply 11
Is anybody here applying for graduate courses?
Reply 12
I am applying for Earth science at Swansea, Geology at Plymouth/portsmouth and earth and environmental at aberystwyth.
Just got an offer from UCL for Geophysics!

Already? Congratulations!
Reply 15
Hi guys
I am thinking of applying to the following uni's for geophysics with these entry requirements:

Imperial- A*AA
Leicester- ABB
Liverpool- AAB
Southampton- AAB
UCL- ABB-AAA

I've only been to see UCL and Imperial and was really impressed by Imperial's facilities. UCL's earth science department seemed quite small though. Southampton's facilities seem really good from what I've seen online.

My predictions are A*AB so getting into Imperial is going to be difficult, although it's the best for earth science out of the five. Where's everyone else thinking of applying?
Reply 16

Woah that's crazy man, well done! Do UCL do interviews for geophysics or did they just give you an offer straight away?
Original post by RSS_100
Woah that's crazy man, well done! Do UCL do interviews for geophysics or did they just give you an offer straight away?

I thought they interviewed but I got an offer without one. One their website they say:

If you are resident in the UK and your application demonstrates potential you will be invited to an applicant open day. This visit will include introductory talks on Earth sciences and our degree programmes, a tour of the department and UCL, and a question and answer session.
You may also have a one-to-one discussion with a member of academic staff in which we aim to find out more about your personal interests and motivation.

But I just got an offer, nothing indicating any of this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
I thought they interviewed but I got an offer without one. One their website they say:

But I just got an offer, nothing indicating any of this.

Ohh I see, cool. What were you predicted grades by the way?
Original post by RSS_100
Ohh I see, cool. What were you predicted grades by the way?

A*A*A*A*. I'm in a similar position to you in terms of visiting, I've only seen UCL and Imperial's departments. I definitely agree that Imperial has a lot of "Wow" factor, their earth science facilities look amazing. Imperial would be a no-brainer for me, were it not for the issue of accommodation. UCL's earth sciences department is small - although I definitely wouldn't say it's a bad thing - but it doesn't look as exciting as Imperial. It'd be way cheaper for me though since I could stay at home. I've also not been to Southampton. Have you submitted your UCAS yet?

Quick Reply

Latest