The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Biology-- Got an unexpectedly low grade?

Hi,

Results day yesterday was a huge disappointment... I did terribly in Chemistry (E), but that was expected. The first thing I saw on my paper was that I had a C in Biology, when I had spent hours and hours slaving over it...

The individual unit grades are D for BY1 and C for BY2. Although I can't say they were entirely easy, I can't say I found them THAT difficult either. I don't understand how I've got these grades. I spent so many hours on Biology, more than on any other subject, because I love it. My teacher told me before that I could get an A, but here I am with a C, and I'm devastated.

What should I do? Is there anyone else in my position? I know that my friend also got a shock when she saw she had an E in Biology (same exam board), but I don't know how the exam went for her. I just know now that my teachers will predict me a low A2 grade and I won't be able to get a decent university offer next year.

I just think that it's unlikely that there's been some huge mess up by an examiner, but I don't see how else I could have got that result. I revised for hours and hours and hours. To say I'm heartbroken (and almost bitter) is an understatement. Should I get it remarked?
Bump.

Please, someone reply. I'm not getting any response from school or anyone.
Maybe you could order a copy of your script and go through it with your teacher to see if they feel you deserve a higher mark? How far are you from a B also? The thing is remarks are expensive and if you're not sure how WJEC could have messed up the marking I think it'd be best to see where exactly you lost the marks first before spending almost £40 on a remark that may or may not increase your grade. I also took WJEC biology and I feel like a lot of questions have a very specific markscheme so I don't know where you could pick up a lot of marks, apart from possibly the 10 mark question at the end of the paper.
Original post by Claros
Maybe you could order a copy of your script and go through it with your teacher to see if they feel you deserve a higher mark? How far are you from a B also? The thing is remarks are expensive and if you're not sure how WJEC could have messed up the marking I think it'd be best to see where exactly you lost the marks first before spending almost £40 on a remark that may or may not increase your grade. I also took WJEC biology and I feel like a lot of questions have a very specific markscheme so I don't know where you could pick up a lot of marks, apart from possibly the 10 mark question at the end of the paper.

I was about 2 marks away in BY2. It just seems odd that BY1 was a D because I was very confident with Biochemistry. :frown: I'm starting to feel like WJEC science is impossible because of the specific markscheme...
Original post by All_TheCyanide
I was about 2 marks away in BY2. It just seems odd that BY1 was a D because I was very confident with Biochemistry. :frown: I'm starting to feel like WJEC science is impossible because of the specific markscheme...

WJEC Biology is a pain, I can't talk about any other science because I don't take it but WJEC is very specific. I got a lower grade in BY1 as well despite feeling more confident with BY1 during the year. If you feel like there's been a huge mistake you could ask for a remark from your teacher but personally I would order a copy of your script first to see where the marks were lost. The thing is if the remark doesn't increase your grade that money is wasted (I don't know if your school pays for remarks but we have to pay for it ourselves).
Reply 5
I did both WJEC Chemistry and Biology, and got my AS grades on thursday too. Biology particularly its super important to have done all of the past papers and marked your answers yourself. Questions are often repeated, and although specific answers are required, the answers are common to almost every years mark schemes. It's also important to get a copy of the Spec and revise from that, its not all explained in detail but at least you know exactly what the exam board expect you to know, in their own words. The WJEC revision guide is helpful but not as necessary as the other two, as it's not written by the people writing the papers. (Just for reference, I don't mean to brag or anything, I got As in both, and 96% overall in Bio. My biology teacher also works for the exam board, in writing papers and marking.) If you do all of that already I don't mean to sound patronising! I hope that helps even just a tiny bit if you re-sit.
Original post by Claros
WJEC Biology is a pain, I can't talk about any other science because I don't take it but WJEC is very specific. I got a lower grade in BY1 as well despite feeling more confident with BY1 during the year. If you feel like there's been a huge mistake you could ask for a remark from your teacher but personally I would order a copy of your script first to see where the marks were lost. The thing is if the remark doesn't increase your grade that money is wasted (I don't know if your school pays for remarks but we have to pay for it ourselves).

Original post by Abi790
I did both WJEC Chemistry and Biology, and got my AS grades on thursday too. Biology particularly its super important to have done all of the past papers and marked your answers yourself. Questions are often repeated, and although specific answers are required, the answers are common to almost every years mark schemes. It's also important to get a copy of the Spec and revise from that, its not all explained in detail but at least you know exactly what the exam board expect you to know, in their own words. The WJEC revision guide is helpful but not as necessary as the other two, as it's not written by the people writing the papers. (Just for reference, I don't mean to brag or anything, I got As in both, and 96% overall in Bio. My biology teacher also works for the exam board, in writing papers and marking.) If you do all of that already I don't mean to sound patronising! I hope that helps even just a tiny bit if you re-sit.

Thanks guys.

I'm probably going to wait until my Biology teachers get back to me before I decide whether to get it remarked, but deep down I know that I worked as hard as I could for that subject, so if it stays a C then I won't resit. I did everything: past papers, marking my own work, checking the spec and getting my father to ask me questions based off it... you name it.
I'm very, very bitter that WJEC is so precious about their mark scheme when they can't provide a solid revision guide written by the people who write the papers without mistakes in it.

I'm honestly 100% sick of the WJEC.
Thanks guys.

I'm probably going to wait until my Biology teachers get back to me before I decide whether to get it remarked, but deep down I know that I worked as hard as I could for that subject, so if it stays a C then I won't resit. I did everything: past papers, marking my own work, checking the spec and getting my father to ask me questions based off it... you name it.
I'm very, very bitter that WJEC is so precious about their mark scheme when they can't provide a solid revision guide written by the people who write the papers without mistakes in it.

I agree, the revision guides for WJEC need major improvement. Even if you don't get the remark, it's possible that you just had a bad exam and it happens to everyone. What's important is that in A2 (if you're continuing it) you continue to work hard and try and increase your grade. It's possible to bring an AS grade from a C to an A in A2 with enough dedication.
Thanks guys.

hey, I know this might be late but I just wanted to say that I think you should try and get your paper back to know where you went wrong this might also help with A2 bio exams because you'll know how they mark and how you could maybe improve your expression of words to fit their specific mark schemes:smile: I found BY1 really difficult, and the first question totally messed my head up completely and I love bio chem too and revised from day one for BY1 and we focused on the BY1 module the most in class ... but I and manyyyyy others in the class got worse in BY1 than BY2 XD #wjeclogic.... don't be too disheartened, you will figure out a way, you care about the subject and the grades so just talk to your teachers and don't dwell on it .. yunno in science this would be classed as an anomaly so go back check the experiment and if ya want repeat it :wink: :biggrin: ^_^ good luck :smile:
Reply 9
I hope he can soon be more new information
Original post by Quantum2123
hey, I know this might be late but I just wanted to say that I think you should try and get your paper back to know where you went wrong this might also help with A2 bio exams because you'll know how they mark and how you could maybe improve your expression of words to fit their specific mark schemes:smile: I found BY1 really difficult, and the first question totally messed my head up completely and I love bio chem too and revised from day one for BY1 and we focused on the BY1 module the most in class ... but I and manyyyyy others in the class got worse in BY1 than BY2 XD #wjeclogic.... don't be too disheartened, you will figure out a way, you care about the subject and the grades so just talk to your teachers and don't dwell on it .. yunno in science this would be classed as an anomaly so go back check the experiment and if ya want repeat it :wink: :biggrin: ^_^ good luck :smile:

Thank you, this made me feel a lot better! Yes, I agree, it's an anomalous result and I'll do better (if it comes back the same grade). I just don't know because I didn't find BY1/2 that hard. ): I hate the fact that they're making us learn keywords. It's not even wholly about science anymore, it's about spewing out keywords.

Quick Reply

Latest