The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham - Computer Science

Hi all,

I firmed my choice for computer science at the university of Nottingham as I love the area and the university however there seems to be articles and other posts which suggest Nottingham university is not that good for computer science and I would just like to know if this is true from anyone who does study computer science.
Someone on WhatUni posted that computer science at Nottingham University has a poor course structure and poor facilities. Could someone please explain if this is true?

Also, is there really that much crime in Nottingham? I've heard people have been shot and stabbed quite a few times there.
Original post by skyhigh12
Hi all,

I firmed my choice for computer science at the university of Nottingham as I love the area and the university however there seems to be articles and other posts which suggest Nottingham university is not that good for computer science and I would just like to know if this is true from anyone who does study computer science.
Someone on WhatUni posted that computer science at Nottingham University has a poor course structure and poor facilities. Could someone please explain if this is true?

Also, is there really that much crime in Nottingham? I've heard people have been shot and stabbed quite a few times there.

Not really sure where that's come from. The School has over the last couple of years invested heavily in equipment and resources. The biggest lab got upgrades to computres with Core i7s with 16GB of quality RAM and decent graphics cards. The top floor lab got brand new widescreen monitors in addition to this. The middle floor and top floor labs are currently being refurbished with new furniture and systems which students fed directly into. The social area was refurbished this year with student input and is now heavily used for student talks, hackathons, casual working. If you need devices for a project you can normally get them - we have undergrads doing projects with Pebble watches, with Google Glass, and all sorts of gadgets. The labs have 24/7/365 access now by University Card. A few years ago I could totally understand people saying the facilities were poor, but so much money has been invested since then that I think it's a totally different story.

In terms of course structure, that has also changed a lot since. From next year the course structure is completely different and takes into account a lot of things students have been saying over the past couple of years but which couldn't be fixed overnight. For example, there used to be a lot of repeated content in the software engineering theme which focuses on project management, methodologies, process flow, quality management, etc. For next year onwards the School has combined these overlapping modules into bigger but more concise and comprehensive modules. There's better guidance on how to take modules outside the School, how to study abroad, and studying modules above/below the current level of study, so I think they've come up top trumps on that now also.

Generally, I think that when I started a few years ago there were some issues which hadn't been addressed because staff weren't aware of students' views on the matter. Since then they've changed to being really proactive in getting student input and feedback on everything academic and non-academic that they cover and have responded with some really positive changes which have all been well-received by current students as far as I can tell :smile:

Nottingham's not as bad as the media used to make out about crime. It's been on a steady healthy decline from an average of 13,000 crimes reported per month in 2011, to around 8,000 now; it's halved in the past decade. 'Shottingham' was shrugged off by only having one such incident in the last reporting period. 1 in 3 police forces report higher crime rates than Nottingham's. It's basically something that was true back in the early 2000s but has been on a healthy decline since :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey DarkWhite,

Thanks a lot for your reply man really appreciate it. I was worried but I feel much better and more confident about it.

Cheers,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Appreciate the reply too!

I'm just torn between King's College London and Nottingham for CompSci

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems
Reply 4
I got accepted for compsci aswell back on results day was thrilled ^^ now rly nervous cause ucas didnt update my address, has anyone been sent summer work or anything by post as I havent recieved anything because of the address mix up -.-
Reply 5
Original post by BEleanor
I got accepted for compsci aswell back on results day was thrilled ^^ now rly nervous cause ucas didnt update my address, has anyone been sent summer work or anything by post as I havent recieved anything because of the address mix up -.-

You haven't missed anything really apart from the reading list: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/computerscience/documents/documents/2014-reading-list---ug-computer-science.pdf
Reply 6
Hi, my place was confirmed too. I'm extremely excited and happy about studying Computer Science :smile:. I'm kinda nervous about getting new friends and meeting other freshers :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending