The Student Room Group

Can you still pull it back in A2 if your AS grades weren't great??

Hey TSR,

So basically I got below what I was expecting for my results in AS...I just want to know, is it possible to get good grades if you work hard in A2?? Have any of you done it?

My biggest concern is with maths, I got a B in both C1 and C2 exams and then in M1 I got a U and put me down to a D...head of maths said I should do S1 along side C3 and C4 next year and then retake M1. Do you reckon if I retake M1 and try to work really hard for the other exams in A2 that I could possibly get at least a B overall??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If there's a will there's a way. I found for A level maths after studying the topics in class and doing the questions. Just doing a lot of past papers. You'll get used to the questions. Just need to put the time and effort in. Ask on here if you are stuck on any questions :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, course you can.
I would look at the UMS and calculate what scores you need In A2 for a B and then focus on achieving that.
Reply 3
Original post by Kill3er
Yes, course you can.
I would look at the UMS and calculate what scores you need In A2 for a B and then focus on achieving that.

Ahh okay, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can do it if you work at it :smile: I went from a C in maths at AS to an A at A2.

Good luck!
After doing A2 maths and the entire AS/A2 further maths this last year Trust me when I say to get a good grade in maths all you need to do is every past paper and past paper question you can get your hands on, the questions are always so repetitive you can easily go from a U to an A if you spend enough time on past paper questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also do what I did, I also retook C1 and C2 for ****s and giggles, I thought I might as well redo them in order to help counter balance any bad grades I got, I went from a 80% in C1 to 96% after redoing it, every little bit helps!
Original post by chrisdb793
Also do what I did, I also retook C1 and C2 for ****s and giggles, I thought I might as well redo them in order to help counter balance any bad grades I got, I went from a 80% in C1 to 96% after redoing it, every little bit helps!

Oh yeah that's also a good idea, you'll build on your core knowledge in core 3 and core 4 so you can almost resit C1/2 without any extra revision and get better grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of Course you can.
First thing you need to consider is being honest with yourself and realise that Maths is primarily focused on practise once you understand the theory. So if your retaking an entire unit start to revise it now before A2 starts. I had failed history last year and realised i didn't know how to really write essays well enough, so I revised the entire AS before the year to make sure I didn't get behind in my studies- Helped alot with time management and led to me getting a A*. So revise and practise M1 NOW and then spend 1 hour a day doing maths questions (M1 or A2) and ask your teacher as many questions as possible to UNDERSTAND how to actually tackle anything hard or common question for the exams (Aim to do AS many questions as possible and you'll be great)

Realise what mistakes you made in AS and start early
Original post by N4NDOS
Hey TSR,

So basically I got below what I was expecting for my results in AS...I just want to know, is it possible to get good grades if you work hard in A2?? Have any of you done it?

My biggest concern is with maths, I got a B in both C1 and C2 exams and then in M1 I got a U and put me down to a D...head of maths said I should do S1 along side C3 and C4 next year and then retake M1. Do you reckon if I retake M1 and try to work really hard for the other exams in A2 that I could possibly get at least a B overall??

Posted from TSR Mobile

im at uni now doing physics and i did really well in my a2 but bad in my as. btw what were all your as results?

Quick Reply

Latest