The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation

I've got my place at loughborough uni, however, when it came to securing accommodation there are very few rooms left and the room offered to me doesn't match any of my preferences. Should I just take the room and ensure a spot on campus or should I find a place off campus which is closer to my preferences? Advice greatly appreciated
Reply 1
I was in a similar situation to you. I was offered halls which did not meet any of my preferences and was also a little out of my price range so I decided to look for a room in a house. It was the best decision i made. I dont feel that I wasleft out durin frshers as you can affiliate to a hall and it felt more like a family atmosphere living with housemates and we became really good friends. it alwo means you become more proactive when trying the make friends which suited me. picking a house is also like halla as you dont know who you are going to live with
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Hi, I am dealing with this problem too. I was looking for a self catered ensuite room and have ended up only being offered a single catered room in Royce. I think i am going to accept this offer, but like you said i don't know if its worth looking for a room in a house. Did you apply for accommodation on the 14th or 15th?
Reply 3
I'm in the exact same situation and the accommodation they offered is completely out of my budget. Does anyone know if you can still get a new offer if you reject the current one? I feel like it was slightly unfair to me as my accommodation login didn't update to say I was eligible until I called them up and by that time there was only catered rooms left which is not what I wanted.
I had to call them up too, and i wasn't able select a room until 3 hours after the time they came online... so by then pretty much everything had gone. :frown: I know on my email it said that you are not guaranteed another room if you reject the one you have been offered. Could you call them up and see what they suggest?
Original post by Danielle Gee
Hi, I am dealing with this problem too. I was looking for a self catered ensuite room and have ended up only being offered a single catered room in Royce. I think i am going to accept this offer, but like you said i don't know if its worth looking for a room in a house. Did you apply for accommodation on the 14th or 15th?

I applied on the 15th and I wasn't able to until half 1 so pretty much everything had gone by then
Original post by Ander Herrera21
I applied on the 15th and I wasn't able to until half 1 so pretty much everything had gone by then

Ergh, it sucks tbh. Have you sorted what your going to do yet?
The Holt is your best option if you want off campus accommodation, in all honesty it's closer to most lecture rooms than some of the halls on campus.

I was insurance choice last year, thus was not guaranteed on campus accommodation and ended up being referred to the Holt. The rooms were much nicer and got self catered en suite which is what I wanted.

For any of you who are insurance choice I wish you the very best of luck. You will be told to wait till this date, then told to re-apply as then they've run out of what you wanted and basically get mucked around for a few weeks. Only found out where I was living about a week before I went last year.
I'm an insurance choice about to enter the accommodation lottery. Any advice??? I'm after en-suite self-catered so if anybody out there is contracted and wants somebody to take over please contact me -the stress of being in limbo is taking its toll.
Ergh, it sucks tbh. Have you sorted what your going to do yet?

Yeah I've been on the phone to the advice line and managed to get a shared room in butler court which is pretty good as its quite a nice room and close to my lectures :smile:
Reply 10

I had the same problem exactly and have got offered a single catered room in Royce after initially being given Towers which was my least favourite accommodation ! To start with I was really worried as I hadn't looked into Royce at all but now it looks great so I've accepted the offer!
I had Loughborough as firm and got accepted but I am still without accommodation. When I logged in on the 15th and saw that just one hour or so after 9 am that almost all self catered rooms were taken and only Harry French was still on the list, and until I decided to reserve at Harry French (no more than a 2 minute ponder) that was reserved as well, I started looking online for whatever rooftop I could find close to uni.
Ever since I just sat on my chair like this and wondered if I could fit in my suitcase to sleep in it.
I feel really gutted that I couldn't reserve a self catered room at halls. I feel like I'll be missing all the fun.
Reply 12
Original post by CurlyC
I had the same problem exactly and have got offered a single catered room in Royce after initially being given Towers which was my least favourite accommodation ! To start with I was really worried as I hadn't looked into Royce at all but now it looks great so I've accepted the offer!

Just out of curiosity, why is Towers your least favourite accommodation? I was out of options (no self catered left to reserve) and went with the preference route, but ended up being offered Towers and then accepted feeling I had no choice otherwise.
Original post by LaMandarine
I had Loughborough as firm and got accepted but I am still without accommodation. When I logged in on the 15th and saw that just one hour or so after 9 am that almost all self catered rooms were taken and only Harry French was still on the list, and until I decided to reserve at Harry French (no more than a 2 minute ponder) that was reserved as well, I started looking online for whatever rooftop I could find close to uni.
Ever since I just sat on my chair like this and wondered if I could fit in my suitcase to sleep in it.
I feel really gutted that I couldn't reserve a self catered room at halls. I feel like I'll be missing all the fun.

Even if you aren't in Halls, you can affiliate to one to be involved with all Hall activities :smile: and secondly, there are lots of shuffle-rounds of rooms at this time of year, so be persistent and keep asking! Places usually come up, its just down to whether you ring at the right time.

Original post by aweir96
Just out of curiosity, why is Towers your least favourite accommodation? I was out of options (no self catered left to reserve) and went with the preference route, but ended up being offered Towers and then accepted feeling I had no choice otherwise.

Towers is one of the more social halls, and I used to visit my cousin and some society friends for pre-drinks and things there. If you like to cook for yourself then I can see why you wouldn't like it (it is a catered hall) but otherwise, the worst thing about it is the occasional fire drill :tongue: since it was refurbished a year or two ago the rooms look really nice!
Anyone starting Loughborough this September should certainly check out;

http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/velocity/

The ideal society for anyone interested in transport, travel, aviation and logistics alike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending