The Student Room Group

Cue dependent forgetting

Hi, i'm trying to do a psychology experiment on cue dependent forgetting. Does anyone remember how this is "administered"? I can't seem to find anything on the experiment itself online. I'm using different categories e.g furniture (chair, table...) for the words. When it comes to carrying out the experiment though, Do I just let both groups study the words for a few minutes (without the category names) and then give one group category names and ask them to recall the words and give another just a plain piece of paper without category names and ask for recall?

I hope this will make sense to someone!
:smile:
Was this experiment based on tulving theory?
Reply 2
Yup, it is.
Reply 3
Sounds a good idea :smile:

To make it a bit less obvious, not that it's obvious now, but just as something extra to write about in your report, you could give participants a 'filler' task, in order to take their minds off it, such as a spot the difference, or a counting task. This would ensure they weren't using 'rote rehearsal' which is repeating the words continuously in their 'STM' until they can write them down. Then give them the repsonse sheet headed with either the category i.e. furniture, or with no heading. Then debrief them as normal.

Hope this helps, the words in speech marks, are psychological terms which you will understand, but might be useful to ass into your write up. Good Luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending