The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Help - reserved space at Hull but unsure of degree! Worth going?

I missed my offer at the University of Birmingham, so I called up Hull, and they have reserved me a space until Monday. I have withdrawn from my insurance because I didn't want to go there in the end, but I am getting stressed with my degree. I have applied for History and English joint honours but I keep having doubts, purely if this is the right course for me, and if I actually want to do it. Ontop of that, moving out would be scary because I haven't mentally prepared for it and I would miss my family SO much, we are really close and my mum's having a baby, so I wouldn't be around to see her grow up. My friend at Hull said that it's good and I would love it, but I am worried I won't make friends and be so far away from home...

Also, the course. I don't feel 100% sure if I would like it and then I would drop out. I am terrified of hating it. I had intense A levels and I barely read as much as I did before as I had time, so I am scared of hating it. My friends are saying that I am good at those subjects and that being indecisive doesn't help, and that I am over thinking it all. But I WISH I was 100% 'yes, I want to do this course' although, my friend said he hated his degree by third year and that you have to try it in order to love it or hate it. And that my friend said I was lucky as clearing was intense this year.

I like what I see for the course modules, so I think my problem is if I can't cope, or because I haven't enjoyed reading for pleasure in a while, that I might not like that, and just missing my family allot.

I am not sure what other degree I would undertake.
All I can tell you is the History department at Hull is awesome.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Im a student at Hull in the school of Biosciences and that isn't great, but I hear the History dept are really good. I have lived in Hull all my life and the uni has always been known to have a very good History dept. If you are feeling unsure, and from what you have said can I suggest you take a year out and request a deferred place to start Sep 2015? You may find after taking stock and time to think without pressure, you may be in a better position for uni then.

Quick Reply