The Student Room Group

Watford Grammar Girls, St. Dominic's, Woodhouse or Henrietta Barnett for sixth form?

Hi, I was just wondering which of the listed sixth forms you think is best. And if any of you have been to any of them, what are they like? :smile:
I went to Woodhouse for one year and it just simply wasn't for me. That doesn't mean that it won't be for you though!
It is a very big college, there are thousands of people in your year, I found it hard to make close friends because of this. I didn't find that I was supported very well, two of my subjects clashed (they only told me this when I got there!) and the process to place me into a different subject was very stressful. I also had some personal issues when I went there and found the pastoral care didn't help much. However, the college does get excellent results every year.

I had friends at Henrietta Barnett... seems very pushy.

If you live anywhere near East Barnet School I'd advise going there!! I just spent the past two years there and I came out with A*A*A... absolutely loved every minute of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the reply! I did get an offer from Woodhouse and one from Watford Grammar also (which I hope to go to). Since I've come from a very very small school with only 30 pupils in my year, I guess Woodhouse will be a huge jump. Well done on those fantastic results, they're amazing! And I don't live too far from East. Barnet School, so I'll definitely check it out! May I also ask which A-Levels you did?
I've just finished my two years at Woodhouse and I cannot fault it.

Yes, Woodhouse is big and yes that is daunting at first, but you get used to it. I feel like the large number of students at the college helped me with my confidence hugely! Although it is very academic, there is also a huge extra cirricucular side to the college. Yes, the work is hard and there is an awful lot of it but you will find that anywhere you go! As for not being able to make close friends, I personally found it very easy and feel like I now have a close group of friends that I will most likely keep for life!

The staff at WH are literally out of this world! From my very first day, I found them to be very friendly and supportive. They are willing to help with anything at basically any time! A Levels are probably the worst things you will ever do, but that doesn't mean you have to be miserable whilst doing them! I feel like the principal, John Rubinstein, is also worth mentioning. I started at the college when the old principal was still there, and although he wasn't always present around the college, he ran it well. Rubz started as principal at the beginning of my second term at WH and I can honestly say the mood instantly lifted! Although some find it a bit intimidating, he is forever walking around and offering his help. He is an absolutely exceptional maths teacher (he taught me in A2) and will always find the time to help pupils in need!

I know this is just my opinion and it is probably a little biased but I get the impression that everyone in my year feels pretty much the same way about WH

Good luck with everything!

(By the way, I got A* A A in Maths, Biology and Chemistry, respectively)
Original post by chickandtweety
Thanks for the reply! I did get an offer from Woodhouse and one from Watford Grammar also (which I hope to go to). Since I've come from a very very small school with only 30 pupils in my year, I guess Woodhouse will be a huge jump. Well done on those fantastic results, they're amazing! And I don't live too far from East. Barnet School, so I'll definitely check it out! May I also ask which A-Levels you did?

I came from a school like that too! 27 pupils were in my year.

I studied Maths, Further Maths and Computing at EBS... as well as AS Physics :smile:

I'll be going to Watford too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I was just wondering which of the listed sixth forms you think is best. And if any of you have been to any of them, what are they like? :smile:

I'd advise you to go St Albans High school for girls!!! Best one and support is amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I just wanted to ask when is the open day for Henrietta Barnett 2015 because I can't find it on their website?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending