The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone's Christmas?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I've always been curious... How do UK students apply to universities in the states i.e Caltech?

^ I'm assuming you can't use UCAS .*. what would you use instead? :O

They have several organizations that basically do the same thing as UCAS (i.e. sort through applications, send them to respective units). The most prominent being 'Common App', most top universities with the exception of MIT use this organization to handle their applications. Even some UK unis like St. Andrew's and Edinburgh are on there.

Other universities are within a 'consortium' or simply a group of institutions that share administrative duties. These are more common with a group of state universities (UCLA etc.) And smaller liberal arts colleges (Pomona College etc.),

I won't be applying this year due to extenuating circumstances that affected my results but if I decide to take a gap year or end up somewhere horrible I will apply next year. It kind of sucks seeing my friends get into Harvard, Yale and Stanford et al while I'm only applying to UK unis.

Where are you applying and what course?
Merry Christmas guys I hope nobody decides to go HAM and study today, chill and enjoy.
Merry Christmas!
One word: stress.

We've been growing steadily (from 20 subscribers to 150), we're experimenting with a phone only concierge service and it's proven very effective. On the downside, we won't have a web platform until summer 2015.

Sitting at $25k+ raised so far, hopefully we can sort stuff out (like making profit) soon. Most of my team are heading to Harvard and Stanford though so don't really know what's going to happen.

And yourself? How are uni apps coming along? What did you apply for and where?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ate way too much:frown:

Might go on a diet for the first time in my life after today:lol:
Original post by Princepieman
One word: stress.

We've been growing steadily (from 20 subscribers to 150), we're experimenting with a phone only concierge service and it's proven very effective. On the downside, we won't have a web platform until summer 2015.

Sitting at $25k+ raised so far, hopefully we can sort stuff out (like making profit) soon. Most of my team are heading to Harvard and Stanford though so don't really know what's going to happen.

And yourself? How are uni apps coming along? What did you apply for and where?

Need any employers? :colonhash:

What is your business venture anyway? :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Need any employers? :colonhash:

What is your business venture anyway? :smile:

We are essentially a service that connects senior citizens/the elderly with subcontracted home services. So, if they need their groceries done, or someone to help administer medicine, cleaning etc.

They subscribe every month to have instant access to services without having to worry about quality or trawling through the yellow pages.

Probably couldn't afford employees right now, the overheads on the subcontractors are already a bit much.
We are essentially a service that connects senior citizens/the elderly with subcontracted home services. So, if they need their groceries done, or someone to help administer medicine, cleaning etc.

They subscribe every month to have instant access to services without having to worry about quality or trawling through the yellow pages.

Probably couldn't afford employees right now, the overheads on the subcontractors are already a bit much.

Ah that's a really nice idea.

Are you UK wide or just in Scotland?
Haha, we got grilled so much about that idea so we switched to care services. It's got a much larger market.

Nice! I'm applying for Comp Sci with Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh, Nottingham, Loughborough, Lancaster (got rejected by Glasgow so I exchanged my chice for this) and Reading. Haven't heard back from any apart from Glasgow.

Being honest, if I don't get into either Notts or Edinburgh I'll probably reapply next year with better results.

Oh, so no more trading/quant stuff? That's really awesome though, I'll definitely see if I can start another at Uni. What growth area are you thinking about?

P.S. if you need a business partner I'm open to it.! :wink:
Ah that's a really nice idea.

Are you UK wide or just in Scotland?

It was started at an accelerator programme at MIT. So mainly the Boston/Cambridge area for now.
It was started at an accelerator programme at MIT. So mainly the Boston/Cambridge area for now.

Oh America, that makes sense.

Given that I don't think many older people here are down with technology :lol: as much as their American counterparts anyway.
I know it's a day late but I hope you all had a nice Christmas/nice Thursday depending on whether you celebrate it or not :smile:
So I thought to myself, 'I'll get out of bed after this next song.'
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419586815.414171.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
So I thought to myself, 'I'll get out of bed after this next song.'
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419586815.414171.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five: I'm on 3 too

And my battery is also around that level
:five: I'm on 3 too

And my battery is also around that level

I love 3, infinite data innit :cool: anime all dai erridai
Original post by Bude8
I love 3, infinite data innit :cool: anime all dai erridai

Yeah, I was on a price plan

But it ran out

It doesn't exist anymore

But I didn't change anything

So I think I'm still on it :awesome:
Yaas, 3 for the win!

(Biased because I work there)
I can't imagine not being on 3.

All you can eat data is a necessity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I can't imagine not being on 3.

All you can eat data is a necessity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used 80% of my data in a week because I forgot I was on 4G . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest