The Student Room Group

Have I made a mistake going to an ex-poly? With really good A level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mansun
Re-apply again to other places then.

I do want to go uni this year. Just to add.
Reply 81
Original post by Cameron10
I do want to go uni this year. Just to add.

Fine, go to an ex-poly, it ain't my problem. It will stay with you forever. I don't think you will be the next Barrack Obama at such a low profile university. And it will be harder to get onto MA and PhD programmes and better unis in future.
For the course you're doing I would personally go to the best university that would let me in. Brookes is known for being good for vocational type courses, as are many of the ex-polys. For humanities, that don't necessarily lead to any particular career (this is especially true for history), I would want the edge of going to a better uni. And that's not even an 'edge' because these days loads of people go to good unis.

The person above with the example about Liverpool law vs surveying is a perfect example. Liverpool law in a cohort with thousands of other law students from decent unis = nothing special. Going to an ex-poly with good grades to do a vocational course and getting a first = stand out more. For your course, not at all tbh.
Original post by Cameron10
I had the choice of Kent or Brookes to do Politics and History and I chose Oxford Brookes in the end, mainly because of it's location, the fact that it wasn't in the middle of nowhere, had a good emphasis on transferable skills to the workplace, for instance the history course gives me a chance to go on a placement at a school/museum etc, while Sussex and Kent don't. and it was near all the major cities in the country.

For me having experience is crucial more than good academic qualifications. Which is funny considering I got A*AB at A level.

But a part of me feels like I should go to somewhere really prestigious, so that my good grades worked for something, but I had a very specific choice of university in mind, i.e had to be near London, not to have too much emphasis on exams, and good work experience opportunities.

So in that respect, it only left Brookes, Kent and Sussex to compete

Sussex currently has vacancies for Politics and History am I am tempted, the course looks better too, but the university seems to have a strong left wing political culture, which might make me feel uncomfortable given my views. Plus it doesn't have the work-based emphasis like Brookes and isn't near all the major cities, just London.

I just feel like because I'm going to an ex-poly I am selling myself short, but another part of me just tells me to grow up, and it doesn't matter where you go, it's what you do there that matters to employers. My best mate got A*A*A for A level and he is going to Swansea, again like my course asking for BBC.

Is it bad that despite being someone who is good academically, I want to go to a university where it's practice for working life, rather than pure prestige?

Hey OP :smile:

I'd say if you don't want to take a year out reapply and these are your options then definately go with where you are happiest.

I was in a similar position choosing between prestige and where I thought I'd be happiest. I got into Durham to study Classics and was told I'd have a very good chance of Oxbridge if I applied but I turned them both down to go to Manchester (which is much lower on the league tables). The thing is is that as I was happy, I developped myself as a person and my passions a lot more so now feel in a much better position to gain employment than if I'd gone somewhere more "prestigious", had a miserable time and not gained any confidence/ work experience. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Mansun
Fine, go to an ex-poly, it ain't my problem. It will stay with you forever. I don't think you will be the next Barrack Obama at such a low profile university. And it will be harder to get onto MA and PhD programmes and better unis in future.

What bull**** spurts from your mouth.

1) Anyone with a british passport can be PM. John Major had no degree and was PM.
2) I got onto a russell group uni masters programme from an ex poly. I know people who have got into imperial, UCL, Kings, QMUL from my ex poly uni.
Original post by TheWaffle
Hey OP :smile:

I'd say if you don't want to take a year out reapply and these are your options then definately go with where you are happiest.

I was in a similar position choosing between prestige and where I thought I'd be happiest. I got into Durham to study Classics and was told I'd have a very good chance of Oxbridge if I applied but I turned them both down to go to Manchester (which is much lower on the league tables). The thing is is that as I was happy, I developped myself as a person and my passions a lot more so now feel in a much better position to gain employment than if I'd gone somewhere more "prestigious", had a miserable time and not gained any confidence/ work experience. Hope this helps :smile:

Just to add, Manchester is prestigious, it's been around a lot longer than some of these modern universities. It's also higher up than Durham on international league tables. If you're interested in international politics, it's well worth checking out the THE world rankings for an idea of which universities are prestigious internationally, not just in the UK.
Original post by katearch
Just to add, Manchester is prestigious, it's been around a lot longer than some of these modern universities. It's also higher up than Durham on international league tables. If you're interested in international politics, it's well worth checking out the THE world rankings for an idea of which universities are prestigious internationally, not just in the UK.

This is a good point. Some unis rank very differently on the international league tables as they are based on different criterea. I'm just never sure which tables employers in the UK pay more attention to (if they pay any attention at all)?
Maybe OP could try and get into Manchester this year then? It's not near London but Manchester is an amazing city in itself I'd say. :cool: Also I have some experience of both the history and politics departments there (though that's not my main degree) and they both seem very good.
Do you go to Manchester katearch?
Reply 87

I don't think you need to inform the ill-informed that Manchester is indeed a top university, both in the UK and internationally. It is really odd how students download league tables and base their sole understanding on the reputation of the university on that. Manchester is much stronger as a research university than Durham, but Durham has a bit more tradition and is more selective (due to having far fewer places).
Reply 88
This is a good point. Some unis rank very differently on the international league tables as they are based on different criterea. I'm just never sure which tables employers in the UK pay more attention to (if they pay any attention at all)?
Maybe OP could try and get into Manchester this year then? It's not near London but Manchester is an amazing city in itself I'd say. :cool: Also I have some experience of both the history and politics departments there (though that's not my main degree) and they both seem very good.

Employers don't care about league tables. They already know which are the best universities in the UK (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL), which are the excellent universities (Russell Group Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester etc), and which are the good universities (Leicester, Royal Holloway, Brunel etc).
Reply 89
same here A*A*B vere middle university , but in london and I loved my interview and the atmosphere and I know they will allow me to do things outside the uni as they clearly stated that we can negotiate and try to find the compromise to satisfy as all. And that's what I like about it , i can get into career while still being at uni. Not spend 3 years in top one without getting any other experience.
Reply 90
Original post by Meeka96
same here A*A*B vere middle university , but in london and I loved my interview and the atmosphere and I know they will allow me to do things outside the uni as they clearly stated that we can negotiate and try to find the compromise to satisfy as all. And that's what I like about it , i can get into career while still being at uni. Not spend 3 years in top one without getting any other experience.

Top universities allow you to take a year out I believe. Even in lesser universities, the placements they advertise are not guaranteed, you still have to apply for them and pass the interview. Also not all firms will be top notch.

To be quite frank, it is stupid and indefensible to not choose a top tier university if you have the grades. Only in special circumstances is this not the case.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thank you for backing me up! I'm starting at Manchester in September to do Politics and Philosophy, it's also where my brother went who is doing extremely well now. Employers don't pay a lot of attention to league tables, but they do focus on reputation. A lot of top employers want you to have a 1st these days for CEO/CFO type jobs (I've been told this by the employers themselves.)
Thank you for backing me up! I'm starting at Manchester in September to do Politics and Philosophy, it's also where my brother went who is doing extremely well now. Employers don't pay a lot of attention to league tables, but they do focus on reputation. A lot of top employers want you to have a 1st these days for CEO/CFO type jobs (I've been told this by the employers themselves.)

Oooh that sounds like a really good course! You'll have lots of fun too no doubt :cool: Do you know which accomodation you're going to live in yet? One tip I'd say is to use the careers service/ uni internships (if you wanna apply for that) before final year. I'm just getting into it now lol. Ah ok that's interesting thanks! I'm going into final year now so that's motivation to aim for that 1st! :colondollar:
Reply 93

CEO/CFO type jobs? :confused:

No one cares where the CEO got their degree from, it's all about experience at that level.

Tell me, what is a CEO/CFO type job?
@TheWaffle not sure where I'm staying yet, thanks for the tip!

@godd I'm just using this as an example when I went to do work experience at an advertising firm, they said they will only employ you even for a basic level job if you have a 1st class degree in a 'real' subject (history, maths, english etc). All of their Chief Executive Officers and directors have 1sts from either Ivy League or Russell Group universities.
Original post by TolerantBeing
But I think it's unfair to say that quality of institution is not important when so many on here have really strived to go to such places.

Employers aren't there to reward people for having certain academic achievements. A job isn't a reward for obtain certain grades. Striving to attend certain institutions for your degree should be about your own education.
I thought this wasn't about which subjects are better, I thought this was about whether prestige matters in terms of having a career in politics? Short answer, yes it does.

I'm just going to un-watch this thread now as it's getting a little volatile and off-topic...
Reply 97
I thought this wasn't about which subjects are better, I thought this was about whether prestige matters in terms of having a career in politics? Short answer, yes it does.

I'm just going to un-watch this thread now as it's getting a little volatile and off-topic...

So tell me....

what degree did John Major (the prime minister of the united kingdom between 1990 and 1997) have?
Reply 98
This ex poly bashing needs to stop. Some of you guys are so full of yourselves.

You say discrimination is wrong, yet you bash people if they have a degree from a "lower" university. You try getting a first from an ex poly, you'll still have to work your ass off.
I didn't say anything about 'lower' or 'lesser' universities. I got rejected from Oxford, LSE and Durham so it hardly makes me discriminatory or a snob. At the end of the day OP, you should go where you will be most comfortable and you can reach your full potential. For everyone's sake, I hope by the time your career in politics peaks, PMs won't need PPE from Oxford just to be considered worthy anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending