The Student Room Group

Have I made a mistake going to an ex-poly? With really good A level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Sure. It may be that they have other candidates who as you say have additional experience etc (two of my friends did their PhD there, so I know it's a good institute and as you say, tough to get in). I'm in another discipline but in my year the filtering factor seemed to be firsts in everything. Actually in my case I'm not sure that worked, as a PhD requires really different skills. Good luck with your career plans if you decide to continue, I hope it works out for you.

You need to post in ask a moderator. They may have some suggestions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kitty,

I think you'd better do some thread research before you engage with this guy.

In a previous thread he was the one being offensive and out of control, many posters objected to his behaviour.

I like many others was merely replying and debunking some to his posts, but he seemed to think we were not not allowed to do this , that's when he became offensive and he got rebuked for it.

The thread was closed. end of story so we all thought but no he seems unable to let the matter go and here he is defaming me again.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2742098&page=30&p=49222821&highlight=#post49222821

I have no rhyme or reason to " stalk " this strange person and since that thread have not engaged with or want to engage with him. In fact judging from his behaviour on this thread one might conclude the opposite is true
Original post by mrkl
Kitty,

I think you'd better do some thread research before you engage with this guy.

In a previous thread he was the one being offensive and out of control, many posters objected to his behaviour.

I like many others was merely replying and debunking some to his posts, but he seemed to think we were not not allowed to do this , that's when he became offensive and he got rebuked for it.

The thread was closed. end of story so we all thought but no he seems unable to let the matter go and here he is defaming me again.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2742098&page=30&p=49222821&highlight=#post49222821

I have no rhyme or reason to " stalk " this strange person and since that thread have not engaged with or want to engage with him. In fact judging from his behaviour on this thread one might conclude the opposite is true

I wasn't seeking to get involved - just stated that if he has a problem he should post in AAM - as should you :smile:
To the original poster.

I think people get caught up with league tables when their choices are entirely based on them; location, campus vs. city, course structure and other opportunities are really important too.

However, prestige definitely is important from my experience of working life and the experience of my friends. If you’re interested in teaching or politics then a more prestigious university may well give you an advantage. As some others have said, you can still organise work experience outside of your university particularly so if those are your career interests.

Also, I don’t think it’s stupid to consider a university’s political leanings. When you get to choose optional modules they are likely to reflect the interests of the lecturers. You wouldn’t see people getting so upset if they said they didn’t want to go to Oxford/Durham because it’s too conservative and middle class. However, again just going on personal experience, most of my friends were fairly left wing when they were at university, then shifted rightward when they started paying tax or having children.

If I were you, I’d take a gap year. Gap years are great and not only for those who want to ‘find themselves’ somewhere far away. They are great for slightly more boring practical things like saving money, passing your driving test, having a year away from exams etc.

As a final point, whatever you do, your university choice won’t ruin your life it might just open or close different doors so don’t worry about it too much or the extremes of opinion on this forum.

Good luck.
Reply 143
Original post by Kitty Pimms

You need to post in ask a moderator. They may have some suggestions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either that, or legal action. I did submit a formal complaint to TSR, to which they said try the ignore list initially. The other option was to change alias. Anything to stop being hounded and stalked on TSR. Some people just want to be left alone, and mrkl just doesn't get it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending