The Student Room Group

Could you get on a chemistry degree without maths?

I have AS maths at grade A, but it's my lowest UMS by far, so I'm considering dropping maths in favour of geography, in which I'm predicted an A*. My other subjects are biology (predicted A*) and chemistry (predicted A). Would dropping maths make getting on a chemistry degree significantly more difficult?
Reply 1
I haven't taken maths since GCSE (I did Literature, Language, Biology and Chemistry at A level) and I've just been accepted to study chemistry at Leeds! I asked the admissions tutor said they run a 'maths in chemistry' lecture for the first year to let you catch up with all the necessary points; I guess more unis than just Leeds will do this too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgiecat
I have AS maths at grade A, but it's my lowest UMS by far, so I'm considering dropping maths in favour of geography, in which I'm predicted an A*. My other subjects are biology (predicted A*) and chemistry (predicted A). Would dropping maths make getting on a chemistry degree significantly more difficult?

No it wouldn't, most Unis I'm aware of ask for chemistry and another science or maths, so if you've got biology then it shouldn't be a problem at all :smile:
Yeh just to add on from what the other two people have already said,
I did biology, chemistry and sociology and im starting chemistry at manchester in September.
If you havent done alevel maths, most unis do like a maths lecture once a week for the 1st year to get you up to scratch!
Original post by Georgiecat

It shouldn't make it too much more difficult to get on, unless it's a top uni. However, I know a lot of places really want it, because a lot of students struggle with the more maths heavy aspects of chemistry.
Reply 5
Just check with where you think you want to go. Lots of places offer maths courses now, and sometimes having AS is enough (Warwick I think springs to mind). Other places ask for it, so you just need to look at specific places. For instance, no chance at Oxford. Bristol are keen on having Maths for entry as well.
Reply 6
When I went to UCL's open day the Chemistry department said that it would be useful but in the first year they try to get everybody up to the same level and so it is not needed - it will just make your first year easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I wouldn't advise dropping maths if you're looking at some of the ''top'' universities (Oxford, Bristol, Imperial, Warwick, Durham etc). Otherwise, since you have biology and chemistry will get you into most places.
keep maths, if you can get an A in it at A2. The unis which want maths are mostly the top ones with the A*AA requirements and I'd imagine an A in maths would be preferred to A* in geography. Otherwise with your A*A*A you're you can't apply to the top unis which want A*s as you don't have maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending