The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Devonshire Halls 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, im applying for accommodation in 2015 and im torn between Devonshire Hall and Central Village (although I think I’m leaning more to Devs as it seemed more sociable on the open day and also quiet enough at the same time to get work done). I just have a few questions about Devs:

do many arts students (i’m going to studying history) go there?

does it feel distant/disconnected from the main campus (im interested in joining some societies and making good use out of the edge)?

is it really full of yahs? i go to a state school but does that matter if im pretty sociable?

does it matter if you dont play a musical instrument? (iv heard it has a rep for being particularly musical)

and also about Central Village:
1. is it really unsociable? iv heard its got a rep for being really antisocial and if so then i dont think id like it there
2. is it really noisy? i want somewhere where i am going to be able to work because im doing history which has low contact hours
if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
hey, im in dev at them moment and i would 100% go for it. you get such a great community feel which you don't get with the other halls. it doesnt feel far from the uni at all. i also went to a state school and it makes absolutely no difference. only one person on my floor plays a instrument here so i dont think thats an issue. theres a big range of what people study, i do chemistry and others on my floor do english, business, french etc

hope that helps
Original post by hanmoore
hey, im in dev at them moment and i would 100% go for it. you get such a great community feel which you don't get with the other halls. it doesnt feel far from the uni at all. i also went to a state school and it makes absolutely no difference. only one person on my floor plays a instrument here so i dont think thats an issue. theres a big range of what people study, i do chemistry and others on my floor do english, business, french etc

hope that helps

Hey thanks so much for replying :smile: are you involved in societies at the uni as well or do you do more stuff at dev? I really liked the community feel (one of the key reasons why i prefer it over central village) and just thought it was really nice in general but i'm also interested in getting involved in numerous societies so does it matter if you're slightly off campus or do you feel it makes no difference?
Thanks again you've been really helpful :smile:
Original post by apple.pie
Hey thanks so much for replying :smile: are you involved in societies at the uni as well or do you do more stuff at dev? I really liked the community feel (one of the key reasons why i prefer it over central village) and just thought it was really nice in general but i'm also interested in getting involved in numerous societies so does it matter if you're slightly off campus or do you feel it makes no difference?
Thanks again you've been really helpful :smile:

no worries :smile: yeah im on the hockey team for the uni and it makes no difference about not being on campus. i feel like it i was on campus i wouldnt get to see any other parts of leeds so i feel like its a good thing. personally im not that involved with anything to do with dev a few of my friends are on the dev committee and love it. we have lots of formals which are lovely and free. and have more additional things than anyone else, like our gym and tennis courts etc.

its really great!
no worries :smile: yeah im on the hockey team for the uni and it makes no difference about not being on campus. i feel like it i was on campus i wouldnt get to see any other parts of leeds so i feel like its a good thing. personally im not that involved with anything to do with dev a few of my friends are on the dev committee and love it. we have lots of formals which are lovely and free. and have more additional things than anyone else, like our gym and tennis courts etc.

its really great!

ah wow sounds great! thanks so much for all your help i really appreciate it! :smile:
no worries hope u enjoy it! :smile:
no worries hope u enjoy it! :smile:

thanks, think im going to go with Devs! :smile:
one last question (sorry haha), someone raised it in another forum, are the formals for everyone or just the catered students (because I'm going to go self-catered)
im self catered and they are for everyone! i also saw that but its not true :smile: (or maybe was when they were there)
ah right thanks very much for all your help!
Looking at booking mine now. Does anyone know how many people share each kitchen? Can't see it on the website.
can vary, on my floor we have three flats. one with 6, another with 7 and the last with 4. it totally depends. though i think 7 is the most it could be in dev and you get two cookers etc
can vary, on my floor we have three flats. one with 6, another with 7 and the last with 4. it totally depends. though i think 7 is the most it could be in dev and you get two cookers etc

Thanks very much. Just put Devonshire down as first choice :smile:
Original post by ImNewHere1280
Excited to be in Devonshire, I got North Lawn J2.15

Has anyone visited the North Lawn rooms? How do they look?

Hey, I just got my accommodation offer for the J2.1 flat too for Sept '16 and I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about it? I know it's been a while but anything would be much appreciated!
I got north lawn too! H 1.11😊
I got north lawn too! H 1.11😊

Quick Reply

Latest